Bengals had lowest attendance in NFL week 1. 2nd lowest week 2..

I was looking into attendance for bengals and whole nfl for discussions i had with some friends..

it appears the bengals had the lowest attendance in the entire NFL for week one.. which was a division game. 

then they had the 2nd lowest in the nfl, for week 2, which was prime time TNF..

also in entire NFL, 56,000 MORE people attended in week 3 than week 2.  curious to see those numbers from week 3-4 with all of the "protesting" supposed to be going on..

1 hour ago, GoBengals said:

I was looking into attendance for bengals and whole nfl for discussions i had with some friends..

it appears the bengals had the lowest attendance in the entire NFL for week one.. which was a division game. 

also in entire NFL, 56,000 MORE people attended in week 3 than week 2.  curious to see those numbers from week 3-4 with all of the "protesting" supposed to be going on..

The local paper urged a boycott due to the drafting of Joe Mixon.

I don't want to say that this is all of it... But I know plenty of people who have simply given up on the NFL because of CTE issues, domestic violence issues, and so on... These are not your die hard fans, but they're the last 10K that sells out a stadium. Defending Pacman and Burfict turned a lot of these people off.

We didn't resign our pro-bowl tackle, and it was pretty much expected that we'd suck this year. That doesn't drive attendance. Especially coming off of a lackluster 2016.

However, attendance is down across the NFL, to the tune of 2 Million people a year. 

There is no one factor. But IMHO, I think that with the NFL trying to be a "year-round" sport, Mark Cuban might have been right...

A few years ago, when the league expanded its Thursday night TV package, Mark Cuban, owner of the NBA’s Dallas Mavericks, predicted that the proliferation would one day hurt the NFL’s popularity. “I think the NFL is 10 years away from an implosion,” Cuban told a group of reporters at the time. “I’m just telling you: Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. And they’re getting hoggy. … It’s all football. At some point, the people get sick of it.”

Especially when the "year round" aspect of the sport seems to focus on the negatives. Players getting arrested, politics, money, the shittiness of Goodell... I've been a fan sinvce the 70's, and even I'm at the point where I only watch the Bengals game, and even that's getting tenuous.

2 hours ago, GoBengals said:

Can you please share where you got this information. I'd like to follow the numbers also.

5 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

The local paper urged a boycott due to the drafting of Joe Mixon.

I don't want to say that this is all of it... But I know plenty of people who have simply given up on the NFL because of CTE issues, domestic violence issues, and so on... These are not your die hard fans, but they're the last 10K that sells out a stadium. Defending Pacman and Burfict turned a lot of these people off.

We didn't resign our pro-bowl tackle, and it was pretty much expected that we'd suck this year. That doesn't drive attendance. Especially coming off of a lackluster 2016.

However, attendance is down across the NFL, to the tune of 2 Million people a year. 

There is no one factor. But IMHO, I think that with the NFL trying to be a "year-round" sport, Mark Cuban might have been right...

A few years ago, when the league expanded its Thursday night TV package, Mark Cuban, owner of the NBA’s Dallas Mavericks, predicted that the proliferation would one day hurt the NFL’s popularity. “I think the NFL is 10 years away from an implosion,” Cuban told a group of reporters at the time. “I’m just telling you: Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. And they’re getting hoggy. … It’s all football. At some point, the people get sick of it.”

Especially when the "year round" aspect of the sport seems to focus on the negatives. Players getting arrested, politics, money, the shittiness of Goodell... I've been a fan sinvce the 70's, and even I'm at the point where I only watch the Bengals game, and even that's getting tenuous.

The greed and myth that the populace can't live without the NFL trickles down to cable companies too. My provider is AT&T. They are in a fight with the local CBS affiliate over some can't-agree-on-the-shape-of-the-table clause (really meaning not enough loot for either party), and as such, have blocked CBS from being telecast over their airwaves. This has gone on for months. I am sure they thought the loss of CBS NFL football Sunday would cause their customers to cry out so much that every party would cave immediately. Hasn't happened. There just hasn't been the expected outrage. Maybe people switched providers, maybe started streaming...or maybe they just don't care? 

The Bengals/Browns game will be on CBS this Sunday. I have many alternatives for viewing it other than on the home Telly. If I was so driven, I could get in my car and be in the Cleveland Stadium in 2 1/2 hours. But I am not. I am so disinterested, I will not go the little over 2miles to the local Bengals bar. And I am not alone. I have a neighbor who, until this year, flew his Colts flag every Sunday. Haven't seen it out once in 2017. The growing indifference to the NFL is tangible.

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

The greed and myth that the populace can't live without the NFL trickles down to cable companies too. My provider is AT&T. They are in a fight with the local CBS affiliate over some can't-agree-on-the-shape-of-the-table clause (really meaning not enough loot for either party), and as such, have blocked CBS from being telecast over their airwaves. This has gone on for months. I am sure they thought the loss of CBS NFL football Sunday would cause their customers to cry out so much that every party would cave immediately. Hasn't happened. There just hasn't been the expected outrage. Maybe people switched providers, maybe started streaming...or maybe they just don't care? 

The Bengals/Browns game will be on CBS this Sunday. I have many alternatives for viewing it other than on the home Telly. If I was so driven, I could get in my car and be in the Cleveland Stadium in 2 1/2 hours. But I am not. I am so disinterested, I will not go the little over 2miles to the local Bengals bar. And I am not alone. I have a neighbor who, until this year, flew his Colts flag every Sunday. Haven't seen it out once in 2017. The growing indifference to the NFL is tangible.

I agree interest is waning.  Lots of reasons including those mentioned around here.  At the same time there is no way the NFL could maintain it's incredible lofty status.  It was, and still is for the most part, crazy popular.  With all the options people have and all the politics surrounding the NFL, it's bound to come down to earth. 

Archived