Lawson loses teefth

Carl Lawson lost teeth vs. Browns, which teammates find hilarious

By: Chris Roling | 14 hours ago

The Cincinnati Bengals had a great Sunday picking apart the Cleveland Browns, 31-7, in Week 4.

Rookie edge defender Carl Lawson? Not so much.

Which isn’t to say he had a bad game. But he’s trying not to smile after several of his teeth were clubbed out of his head.

Jeremy Rauch of Fox 19 pointed out:brushteeth.gif

We’ll update with more photos, though we have a feeling Lawson won’t be posing for any cameras the next week or so.

Incredibly, the staff found the teeth

One might ask how this happens. Well, rookie mistakes:

In all seriousness, Lawson had another strong day opposite Carlos Dunlap. After registering 2.5 sacks on Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers in Week 3, he flustered the Browns several times while applying pressure from various angles.

Bengals DE Carl Lawson on seeing his teeth in the air: 'Holy crap'

By KATHERINE TERRELL via ESPN

Oct 1, 2017, 6:08 PM ET

CLEVELAND -- Bengals rookie defensive end Carl Lawson came out of Sunday's 31-7 victory against the Browns with two quarterback hurries and two lost teeth.

Lawson wasn't wearing a mouthpiece when he attempted to sack Browns quarterback DeShone Kizer. He said he doesn't know exactly what happened, but he recalled seeing his teeth leave his mouth as he was making the tackle.

"I got around the edge, and I thought I got a sack, but they said the ball was going forward," Lawson said. "When I was bringing him down, I just see my teeth in the air for like two seconds. I was like, 'Holy crap.'"

Lawson appeared to be looking for his teeth after the play, and he was taken to the bench, where athletic trainers surrounded him. A photo by the Cincinnati Enquirer showed a Bengals staff member holding Lawson's teeth in a clear container.

Lawson's teammates also crowded around him after he went to the bench, staring at his mouth and laughing. Some of them were still laughing about it in the locker room after the game.

Dre Kirkpatrick said he couldn't believe Lawson didn't wear his mouthpiece.

"He was not wearing a mouthpiece. He won't listen," chimed in Kevin Minter, who was standing at the adjacent locker while Lawson was speaking to the media. Minter said players don't get fined for not wearing a mouthpiece.

"But he looks like a fool now," Minter said, adding that he had told Lawson several times to use a mouthpiece.

Lawson cut off Minter's lecture quickly.

"Either way," Lawson said, "it was a freak accident, so mouthpiece or not."

Lawson appeared to be taking the accident well and said he would likely go see a dentist Sunday night when the team got back to Cincinnati.

"I guess it's give and take," Lawson said, shrugging. "I got good pressure. Almost a sack."

He added: "If it had gotten knocked out any other play, I probably would've been more upset, but that was a good rush. I sacrificed my teeth for it."

Is it just me or does it seems to me that Lawson really flourishes when he's just rushing the passer?  I mean we have Geno in the middle and Carlos on the edge for most all three downs,  and I'm assuming someone else plays on 1st and 2nd down.   I know he's just a rookie, but just like with Gio as a third-down back, maybe we can keep him in his natural role of a situational pass rusher instead of trying to make him a complete DE...

And I have to say that it really looks like the change to Lazor was really the trick,   we've gotten 24 and 31 points respectively after a goose egg and just a trey of FGs after the first two weeks....Granted it was from the Packers and the Browns but still....Baltimore's starting to look like they just got lucky in the opener, and considering that Houston has been playing since Watson's been named the starter,  it's kinda reasurring that even though they beat us on Thursday night,  it was just a 13-9 win, because w/o that TD run they didn't do jack against us.   I just hope that they figure out how to beat Buffalo--for some reason it's like the Bills have recently got Cincy's number...

Archived