Vegas

Jamie_B

Largest mass killing in US History.

What bothers me most that is going to happen is that the same people who will tell us this is another case of a person with mental health issues, are the same people who want to take people's health care away.

This isn’t a fucking political thing, it’s a fucking tragedy. This turning everything into a fucking political platform is disgusting.

There isn’t a politician alive that gives a fuck about the everyday citizens, it’s all fucking lip service, lies, and deceit... and has been for decades.

Tragic.

I'm waiting for our Las Vegas posters to chime in.

I know SOIS is OK, and Le Tigre just posted a couple of hours ago, so he's good as well. All of our friends there are safe, though I'm sure there will be second or third degree injuries/deaths with the sheer level of carnage. One of my oldest friends in Las Vegas left the festival an hour before the shooting started. It was her first country music festival, and likely her last. My wife and I left Las Vegas in May, and as someone who lived there for 20 years, and drove directly past the location of this terrorist attack nearly every day on my way to work for the past 5 + years, I hope those in this thread will indulge my perspective on the attack. 

While I'm horrified, angry, and disgusted at this attack, I'm simply not surprised it happened; I'm surprised it took so long for it to happen. Nevada is a reflection of The United States' gun fetish on steroids; more guns, bigger guns, everywhere. There are probably a half dozen shooting ranges that advertise "Shoot a real machine gun!" around town. I couldn't drive more than 5 miles in any direction without passing a gun shop, seeing ads about gun shops, billboards about gun shops or gun shows. As I didn't own a gun, and had no particular interest in doing so, one would think that this would all just run into the background after a while. It might have if not for the fact that Nevada is an Open Carry state. It was not out of the ordinary to be in the grocery store (in one of the richest, whitest parts of the city, mind you) looking at strawberries, and have some yokel with a hero complex stroll by with a 357 Magnum strapped to their hip. I know there are other states with Open Carry laws (Texas comes to mind) but Nevada seemed to have a wanton disregard for public safety and basic common sense when it came to walking around locked and loaded. It wasn't just the sheer proliferation of weapons in that state, it was the guns combined with right-wing paranoia on the fringes and in the rest of the state. 

Nevada went blue in the last election because of Las Vegas; Nevada's population is a touch under 3 million, with 2 million of them living in the Las Vegas Metropolitan area. However, get out of that area, and folks are kinda crazy. Think I'm exaggerating? Ask yourself why Alex Jones set up shop in Pahrump, a fetid shithole about an hour outside of Las Vegas. Rural Nevada is rife with poor schools, poor access to healthcare, ignorance that seems to be passed down genetically (see schools point prior), and a deep-seeded mistrust of authority. They live in their own delusional world of conspiracy theories and government overreach that perpetuates itself among the citizens in these small towns which lead to events like that at the Bundy Ranch. The terrorist, whose name I will not soil my keyboard with, lived in Mesquite. We know little to nothing of this wretch, but based on what I know of these small towns and my own experiences there, I have my suspicions. 

I used the word 'disgusted' to describe my feelings about this attack, and I used it because I am truly disgusted. Disgusted because nothing will change. People will share vacuous platitudes on Facebook, and the bullshit #vegasstrong hashtag is already trending, and a handful of politicians will pay lip service to meaningful change. It will be in the headlines for the next few months, and then the American populace will get distracted like a kitten with a shiny object, and forget about the 58+ dead people and scores of injured, while a square of some of the most valuable real estate in the world gets turned into a shrine until 100 people get murdered in the next attack. It's not just that our elected officials are in the pocket and controlled by the firearms industry and the NRA rendering us powerless, it's that the American people are too scatter-brained and comfortable in their daily existence to give a shit long enough to make the changes. 

And I know that some of you after reading this are asking "Well what the fuck do you mean by meaningful change El Flocko? What do you think needs done?". My answer is simple: Repeal the 2nd Amendment. You want an assault rifle and you're not in the military? Fuck you. You want to own 80 weapons thinking you're going to fight off the drone that'll blow up your house from a mile in the air because you think "The Expendables" was a documentary? Eat a bag of dicks. That's what it'll take to address the gun issue in the US, and it'll never happen in my lifetime...  

13 hours ago, USN Bengal said:

This isn’t a fucking political thing, it’s a fucking tragedy. This turning everything into a fucking political platform is disgusting.

More or less disgusting than the political tactics of the NRA over the last couple of decades which refuses to budge over reasonable gun control legislation?

Another Day, Another U.S. Mass Shooting

14 hours ago, USN Bengal said:

There isn’t a politician alive that gives a fuck about the everyday citizens, it’s all fucking lip service, lies, and deceit... and has been for decades.

are you fucking serious??????

How else will this stop happening if the fucking politicians don't stop sucking the dicks of firearms industry?

I guess everyone can just pray it away...

3 hours ago, fluhartz said:

are you fucking serious??????

How else will this stop happening if the fucking politicians don't stop sucking the dicks of firearms industry?

I guess everyone can just pray it away...

Seriously, tell me how you fix this with politics?

I am a gun fanatic who supports stringent gun control. Can’t have enough stringency in my opinion, but I have the right to own and bear arms responsibly. This is not an argumentable point with me.

Politics will not do shit about gun control. They can outlaw guns, and what will happen? Criminals will not obey the law, and then how safe are you? How safe is your family?

The politicians will be safe, they will have their protection, they will have their armed guards. 

There needs to be WAY stricter mental health regulations in regards to firearms, ALL loopholes have to be closed, and enforcing the existing laws needs to occur. For starters...

BTW - Not a member of the NRA... 

7 minutes ago, USN Bengal said:

I am a gun fanatic who supports stringent gun control. Can’t have enough stringency in my opinion, but I have the right to own and bear arms responsibly. This is not an argumentable point with me.

Politics will not do shit about gun control. They can outlaw guns, and what will happen? Criminals will not obey the law, and then how safe are you? How safe is your family?

The politicians will be safe, they will have their protection, they will have their armed guards. 

There needs to be WAY stricter mental health regulations in regards to firearms, ALL loopholes have to be closed, and enforcing the existing laws needs to occur. For starters...

I don't know the answer...but they are the only ones who can change the damn laws..

More stringent gun control/stricter mental health regulations would be a hell of a start..

There is no reason for a civilian to own the firepower that maniac had at his disposal the other night. 

I hate guns..but I have no problem with people owning hand guns and guns for hunting..stuff like that.

Machine guns..AR's and shit like that are just dumb

Fuck the 2nd amendment.. if everyone still had muskets it would be so bad

I understand your point, but ordinary civilians are NOT allowed to own machine guns. The shooter either modified the weapons on his own or got them illegally. ARs/AKs/etc (see rifles) are used for hunting, and are NOT automatic weapons, no matter what CNN tells you. I’m a qualified armorer, and can quote you chapter, line, and verse about thousands of weapons.

I do agree that WAY too many people who do not need rifles have them. I’ve been using them since I was 8 years old, killing coyotes and hunting for meat for our dinner table.

Thankfully, I’m not mentally disturbed nor do I have an axe to grind against anyone, so am not a danger of becoming a mass killer. There is NO reason EVER for civilians to have automatic weapons, or any armament used in war.

2 hours ago, USN Bengal said:

Politics is why the CDC is banned from even investigating gun violence.

47 minutes ago, USN Bengal said:

This explains it better;

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/news/a28479/vegas-shooter-bump-stock/

I do not own, need, or want one... they should be illegal.

I thought anything like this already was, along with trigger cranks.  I agree they should be, or any other aftermarket shit meant to do the same.

Watching that vid though I do wonder if it might have actually been worse if he was aiming and firing single shots.  That doesn't look very controlled. 

Since the rate of fire from a bump stock doesn’t equal an actual automatic weapon, evidently it was deemed legal.

From the weapons I saw that were supposedly used, he had the kind of weapons that could’ve been used to kill everyone he wanted to.

There is is also a big deal being made about “silencers”. They are actually suppressors, and unlike how Hollywood depicts them, they do NOT silence anything except maybe a .22. They can make the report of other weapons quieter, but nowhere even near what the celluloid Pharisees portray them as.

As an edit, bump stocks are illegal in Nevada.

4 hours ago, USN Bengal said:

Since the rate of fire from a bump stock doesn’t equal an actual automatic weapon, evidently it was deemed legal.

From the weapons I saw that were supposedly used, he had the kind of weapons that could’ve been used to kill everyone he wanted to.

There is is also a big deal being made about “silencers”. They are actually suppressors, and unlike how Hollywood depicts them, they do NOT silence anything except maybe a .22. They can make the report of other weapons quieter, but nowhere even near what the celluloid Pharisees portray them as.

As an edit, bump stocks are illegal in Nevada.

Yeah I learned more than I ever wanted to know about Supressors when I was on the jury for David Ladersman's case here.....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/senior-navy-intelligence-official-indicted-in-covert-weapons-deal/2015/10/02/6abc7a68-690f-11e5-9223-70cb36460919_story.html?utm_term=.14d23e12045a 

9 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

So he embezzles $1.6 million through his brother supposedly buying AK suppressors for god knows who (why would a Navy covert ops team be using suppressed AK-47's, if they even existed in the first place) then kept having seizures every time he took the stand until the case got dismissed?  Am I missing something? 

So he embezzles $1.6 million through his brother supposedly buying AK suppressors for god knows who (why would a Navy covert ops team be using suppressed AK-47's, if they even existed in the first place) then kept having seizures every time he took the stand until the case got dismissed?  Am I missing something? 

the judge informed us that his condition was real and that he suffers it from his time in combat but other than that yes

Archived