Bengals History week #5

Continuing series in honor of Bengals 50th season.

Biggest week 5 win ever....2015.  Seattle Seahawks were coming off back to back Super Bowl seasons and would finish 2015 with the #4 ranked offense and #2 ranked defense in the league.  It looked like Seattle was rolling to an easy victory in PBS when they had a 17 point lead in the 4th quarter, but an electric 35 yard punt return by Adam Jones flipped the momentum.  The Bengals scored on their next three possessions and tied the game on a Mike Nugent FG with just 0:03 left.  Adam Jones had another big punt return in overtime (19 yards) to set the Bengals up on their own side of the field and five plays later Nugent won it with a 42 yarder.  In the fourth quarter and overtime Dalton was almost flawless (13-15, 136 yds, 1 pass td 1 rush td) and Giovani Bernard had 63 yards on 11 carries after rushing for just 17 yards through the first three quarters.  The Bengal defense completely shut down the Seahawks allowing only 39 yards on 19 plays after the third quarter. 

Lots of other great wins for the Bengals in week #5.  In fact some might argue the '09 win against the Ravens on the road was bigger. Bengals get the ball on their own 20, down by 4, with just 2:15 left.  Palmer scrambles to convert a 4th down on his own 34, and wins it with a 20 td strike to Andre Caldwell with just 27 seconds left.

2013 Bengals defense earned a lot of respect by being the only team to hold the Patriots without a td that year in a 13-7 victory at PBS.  Patriots only had 248 yards of offense and Brady had a passer rating of 52.2 (18-38, 197 yds, int).

The Bengals were on of the best teams in the league in '75 (11-3, #2 offense, #7 defense).  The Oakland Raiders would also finish 11-3 with the #4 ranked offense and #3 ranked defense, but they lost a tough defensive battle with the Bengals 14-10 in week #5.  It was a big win for the bengals, but the most memorable thing about this game was how terrible 2 Hall of fame quality QBs would play.  Kenny Stabler was the league MVP the prior season but he could only muster a 9.9 passer rating that day.  Ken Anderson would lead the league in both passer rating and passing yards in '75 but against the Raiders he only had 75 yards and a 3.9 rating.  The 2 QBs combined to complete just 12 of 43 passes for zero tds and 8 interceptions.  The teams met again in the playoffs and it was completely opposite.  The Raiders won 31-28 and both QBs had passer ratings over 110 (in an season where only 3 QBs had a passer rating over 90)

3 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Biggest week 5 win ever....2015.  Seattle Seahawks were coming off back to back Super Bowl seasons and would finish 2015 with the #4 ranked offense and #2 ranked defense in the league.  It looked like Seattle was rolling to an easy victory in PBS when they had a 17 point lead in the 4th quarter, but an electric 35 yard punt return by Adam Jones flipped the momentum.  The Bengals scored on their next three possessions and tied the game on a Mike Nugent FG with just 0:03 left.  Adam Jones had another big punt return in overtime (19 yards) to set the Bengals up on their own side of the field and five plays later Nugent won it with a 42 yarder.  In the fourth quarter and overtime Dalton was almost flawless (13-15, 136 yds, 1 pass td 1 rush td) and Giovani Bernard had 63 yards on 11 carries after rushing for just 17 yards through the first three quarters.  The Bengal defense completely shut down the Seahawks allowing only 39 yards on 19 plays after the third quarter. 

Lots of other great wins for the Bengals in week #5.  In fact some might argue the '09 win against the Ravens on the road was bigger. Bengals get the ball on their own 20, down by 4, with just 2:15 left.  Palmer scrambles to convert a 4th down on his own 34, and wins it with a 20 td strike to Andre Caldwell with just 27 seconds left.

2013 Bengals defense earned a lot of respect by being the only team to hold the Patriots without a td that year in a 13-7 victory at PBS.  Patriots only had 248 yards of offense and Brady had a passer rating of 52.2 (18-38, 197 yds, int).

The Bengals were on of the best teams in the league in '75 (11-3, #2 offense, #7 defense).  The Oakland Raiders would also finish 11-3 with the #4 ranked offense and #3 ranked defense, but they lost a tough defensive battle with the Bengals 14-10 in week #5.  It was a big win for the bengals, but the most memorable thing about this game was how terrible 2 Hall of fame quality QBs would play.  Kenny Stabler was the league MVP the prior season but he could only muster a 9.9 passer rating that day.  Ken Anderson would lead the league in both passer rating and passing yards in '75 but against the Raiders he only had 75 yards and a 3.9 rating.  The 2 QBs combined to complete just 12 of 43 passes for zero tds and 8 interceptions.  The teams met again in the playoffs and it was completely opposite.  The Raiders won 31-28 and both QBs had passer ratings over 110 (in an season where only 3 QBs had a passer rating over 90)

Nice new info,  though I'm surprised that when you were mentioning 2009, you didn't mention how the Bengals got back against Pittsburgh, at home and won it with a Palmer strike to Caldwell in the endzone for the win. I think it was the first time ever in Lewis's tenure that the Bengals beat Steeltown in Cincy.   That season we swept the division, going 6-0 against the other AFC North foes.

16 hours ago, DanvilleBengal said:

Nice new info,  though I'm surprised that when you were mentioning 2009, you didn't mention how the Bengals got back against Pittsburgh, at home and won it with a Palmer strike to Caldwell in the endzone for the win. I think it was the first time ever in Lewis's tenure that the Bengals beat Steeltown in Cincy.   That season we swept the division, going 6-0 against the other AFC North foes.

The Pittsburgh games were not in week #5.

18 hours ago, High School Harry said:

This reminds me of the time I found a dime on the floor in front of the cash register at Gold Star in the Kenwood Towne Center.

I go there a lot, it was probably mine, lately i've been more a sbarro or charley's guy though.

12 hours ago, fredtoast said:

The Pittsburgh games were not in week #5.

Oh, I misread it, my mistake.  Context is your friend, DanvilleBengal....I failed to see that the trivia bits were because of week 5...that would be the significant since we would be having Week 5 this coming Sunday against Buffalo...I didn't realize that Bengals beat Baltimore in '09 in week 5.

Still, nice work on the trivia, Fred.

22 hours ago, turningpoint said:

I go there a lot, it was probably mine, lately i've been more a sbarro 

Do they still have that weird cheese that they make themselves? I know some of the nicer Italian spots will make their own mozz - this is definitely not  that.  More of a vat-grown soylent green-like process as it was described to me by a former employee. 

Still better than Cici's for a quick bite.

15 hours ago, DanvilleBengal said:

Still, nice work on the trivia, Fred.

Here are the two others I have made this year.

Week #3...https://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?/topic/80989-bengal-history-week-3-games/

Week #4...https://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?/topic/81010-bengal-history-week-4-games/

They are fun to research.  Wish I had gotten the idea before week #1.

6 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Do they still have that weird cheese that they make themselves? I know some of the nicer Italian spots will make their own mozz - this is definitely not  that.  More of a vat-grown soylent green-like process as it was described to me by a former employee.

Paneer?

On 10/2/2017 at 12:56 PM, fredtoast said:

I was at the Seattle game, and it was one of the most exciting games I have ever seen.  I was surrounded by a bunch of Seahawk Fans, Yelling SEA HAWKS the entire game, they were very nice people, and then my Bengals started coming back, and they started getting quiet and after the game I was shaking their hands, some were reluctant but they did cause they knew how great of a game it was.  It was absolutely a great memory.

Archived