Thoughts on the NFL thus far

It's been a weird season thus far in my book. Teams struggling with teams they should be blowing out. Offenses struggling big time to put the ball in the endzone. Believe it or not the Bengals are just 1 game out of the playoffs. Bengals are 5 points away from being 3-1. Bills traded away half there team and are leading the AFC East. I thought Baltimore was for real until they get blown out by Jacksonville who turns around and loses to to Jets. Derek Carr who knows with that back injury. Flacco sucks and Roethlisberger is old and fat. Who knows what the rest of the year will bring.

The league continues to become more and more about passing.

Five years ago a passer rating of 90 would put a QB in the top 10.  Currently there are 18 NFL QBs with a rating of at least 90.  The number of QBs with a 100 rating has doubled from 4 to 8 in that same span.

2 hours ago, jhowdy54 said:

It's been a weird season thus far in my book. Teams struggling with teams they should be blowing out. Offenses struggling big time to put the ball in the endzone. Believe it or not the Bengals are just 1 game out of the playoffs. Bengals are 5 points away from being 3-1. Bills traded away half there team and are leading the AFC East. I thought Baltimore was for real until they get blown out by Jacksonville who turns around and loses to to Jets. Derek Carr who knows with that back injury. Flacco sucks and Roethlisberger is old and fat. Who knows what the rest of the year will bring.

You want weird? The early line has us favored against the Bills. So... For as badly as we've played so far, we're still favored against the conference leader.

A big part of it is coaches being so injury adverse they don't get their starters enough live reps. Ced has been better through 4 games, but he should have been better through a few more preseason games. You knew you had 2 "rookie" tackles, get them some live reps. Really, our season rests on them figuring it out. Lets hope the line starts to gel more as the season goes on.

I'm really liking the game plan that Lazor is calling. That said, Mixon is averaging 2.6 YPC as a feature back, and we just played two teams that are terrible against the run. Our O-line is horrible, and that's going to get exposed when we play a team with a decent front 7.

The season isn't gone yet, but I'd like to see something more than a win against the Browns before I hoot and holler too much. We gave them a lot of opportunities in that game. We got a lot of generous calls. Between the two ticky tacky calls that helped the "Legendary" Packers combined with the 6-7 that just piled on the Browns... Wow. Is it time to ask if Roger Goodell wants us to win this week?

5 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Wow. Is it time to ask if Roger Goodell wants us to win this week?

*puts on wizard robe and tinfoil hat*

Goodell wants what the owners want, and what the owners want is ratings.  Some teams have been bad for so long that it doesn't take much to keep their remaining fans interested.  Better teams need to appear to have a shot at the postseason or people tune out.  The marquee teams need to win a lot to keep the bandwagon full, so shouldn't often lose to anyone else but another marquee team.  However, so long as they maintain a winning record, they can be useful for injecting some life into even the most hopeless team in an inspiring victory that won't matter that much to the postseason standings.  Like an undefeated team that's already got the #1 seed in the bag, for example.

*takes off hat to reveal tamales wrapped in the foil, pulls bottle of picante from sleeve*

Abracadabra. 

This year is going to be a forgotten year n terms of who won the AFC and NFC and who eventually win the championship, there really isn't a dominate team. It will all come down to match ups, if the bengals can figure out a way to just get into the playoff they will have a solid chance.

I wish the Bengals 50 year Mark would have not had the protest etc.  The Stadium looks fantastic this year with the 50 year design.  Overall the NFL is going through a transition phase?  Some of the big names now are old, and I don't know if there is any superstars left in the NFL.  I don't know if I would consider Rodgers a SuperStar, not sure, but I do feel something is different about this season.  Not saying bad or good, just don't know if we are missing Peyton Manning type of players or what but something about him made you want to tune in.

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

BTW anyone writing off the Patriots is brain dead.

They always seem to find a way to fix their problems as the season progresses.

Especially in that division. Don't get too excited about the Bills. It wouldn't be the first flashy start by another team in that division.

On 10/2/2017 at 3:09 PM, fredtoast said:

The league continues to become more and more about passing.

Five years ago a passer rating of 90 would put a QB in the top 10.  Currently there are 18 NFL QBs with a rating of at least 90.  The number of QBs with a 100 rating has doubled from 4 to 8 in that same span.

The Dink and Dunk has become the norm.  Alex Smith is now GOD!!

2 hours ago, fredtoast said:

BTW anyone writing off the Patriots is brain dead.

They always seem to find a way to fix their problems as the season progresses.

Writing off the patriots is like writing off the packers, those teams would be cellar dwellers without their QB's.

Archived