Perspective on Tyler Kroft

How many of you remember back when a "pass catching TE" was considered one of the biggest holes in our offense?  Before we used first round picks on Gresham and Eifert people around here were really excited when we used the 98th pick of the draft on TE Chase Coffman.  Well imagine if back then (pre-Gresham) we had used the 85th pick of the draft on a 6'5", 240 TE who could run a 4.67 forty and had caught 43 passes his sophomore year in college.

We have been spoiled by Gresham and Eifert. Kroft is not some late-round scrub, or just a "blocking" TE. He is a long, athletic TE who could contribute a lot to our offense in 2-TE sets in addition to filling in for Eifert when he is out with injury. I don't trust "pro day" numbers as much as combine numbers, but after not being able to run at the combine Kroft put up numbers at his pro day workout that would have ranked top six among the 18 TEs at the combine in six different events.

Short Shuttle... 4.20 (1st)
3-cone drill...... 7.12 (2nd)
Long Jump...... 10' (2nd)
Long Shuttle... 11.78 (2nd) (not sure how many even run this anymore)
Forty dash...... 4.67 (3rd)
Vertical.......... 34" (6th)

Plus he is supposed to be a good blocker.

Kroft could be very important to us if Eifert continues to struggle with staying healthy.

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

How many of you remember back when a "pass catching TE" was considered one of the biggest holes in our offense?  Before we used first round picks on Gresham and Eifert people around here were really excited when we used the 98th pick of the draft on TE Chase Coffman.  Well imagine if back then (pre-Gresham) we had used the 85th pick of the draft on a 6'5", 240 TE who could run a 4.67 forty and had caught 43 passes his sophomore year in college.

We have been spoiled by Gresham and Eifert. Kroft is not some late-round scrub, or just a "blocking" TE. He is a long, athletic TE who could contribute a lot to our offense in 2-TE sets in addition to filling in for Eifert when he is out with injury. I don't trust "pro day" numbers as much as combine numbers, but after not being able to run at the combine Kroft put up numbers at his pro day workout that would have ranked top six among the 18 TEs at the combine in six different events.

Short Shuttle... 4.20 (1st)
3-cone drill...... 7.12 (2nd)
Long Jump...... 10' (2nd)
Long Shuttle... 11.78 (2nd) (not sure how many even run this anymore)
Forty dash...... 4.67 (3rd)
Vertical.......... 34" (6th)

Plus he is supposed to be a good blocker.

Kroft could be very important to us if Eifert continues to struggle with staying healthy.

I will be honest I over look Kroft due to Eifert.  I probably have not given it much thought but he is 6'6"  260 pounds.  Solid, right now I think he is having Neck and Knee issues that kept him from practicing some this week.  Perhaps we need to start targeting him a bit more.  I honestly, have lost my enthusiasm over Eifert. 

Looks like you might be on to something here. 

Kroft's numbers look better as each game goes on except in Houston but hey that was that Houston game. 

1 Sep 10 BAL 1 5 5.0 0 0 0 .0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2 Sep 14 HOU 0 0 .0 0 0 0 .0 0 0 0 0 0 0
3 Sep 24 @GB 3 28 9.3 0 0 0 .0 0 0 0 0 0 0
4 Oct 1 @CLE 6 68 11.3 2 0 0 .0 0 0 0 0 0

3 hours ago, Bunghole said:

That Chase Coffman thing was kinda embarrassing to the franchise.

Actually the most embarrassing thing was getting excited over signing Ben Utecht.  We were so desperate for a receiving threat at TE that a 37 reception season looked really good.

3 hours ago, Bunghole said:

That Chase Coffman thing was kinda embarrassing to the franchise. But I wholeheartedly agree about Kroft, I think he can fill in quite well for Eifert. God forbid any further injuries to the TE group, it'll fuck us royally.

Sean Brewer laughs at this

and then lights a cig

Speaking of first round busts (although the third of three first round picks in 1977) and tight ends, how about Mike Cobb?

Remember him?  No?

No wonder.

RECEIVING
Year Team G Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD 20+ 40+ 1st FUM

1977 Cincinnati Bengals 13 -- -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- -- -- --

Cut at the end of the season.  Spent four years with Chicago and has a career record of 11 catches.

9 hours ago, turningpoint said:

Chase did well I think in Indy. Anyways don't forget about uzomah either. I think we let efiert walk this off season and hopefully sign a lineman or 2.

I believe it was Atlanta, and he really wasn't all that, although he was more productive there than here.

7 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Actually the most embarrassing thing was getting excited over signing Ben Utecht.  We were so desperate for a receiving threat at TE that a 37 reception season looked really good.

That was pretty bad too. My comment about the embarrassment was targeted at Hard Knocks and the Bengals coaching staff. I remember him being punished in the TE room with pushups for fucking up while blocking and I recall thinking "But he never had to do that in college, how can you expect anything in training camp?"

7 hours ago, fluhartz said:

Sean Brewer laughs at this

and then lights a cig

Yes...yes he does. I always liked that though, even if he couldn't play. Reminded me of John Daly.

I don't remember getting excited about signing any if these guys.  Eifert dropped to us for a reason as did Mixon.  

Furthermore, as long as AJ Green is on the team, there is no reason to waste 1st or 2nd round picks on a TE.

Archived