Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Montana Bengal

Report: Bengals receiver charged with drug possession

Recommended Posts

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/report-bengals-receiver-charged-with-drug-possession/43WqPBAtrLPKr1HVkPyTML/

Quote

 

Report: Bengals receiver charged with drug possession

Jay Morrison  Staff Writer
3:33 p.m Thursday, Oct. 5, 2017  Sports
 


Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Tyler Boyd is facing drug charges following a July car crash, according to a report by WPXI in Pittsburgh , Boyd’s hometown.

The report says the crash occurred at 3 a.m. on July 12 in Jefferson Hills, a suburb of Pittsburgh. A black Mercedes Benz registered to Boyd hit a guardrail, but when police arrived on the scene no one was in the car.

 

An open bottle of Cognac and an unopened bottle of peach vodka were found in the car, along with vape pens with packaging saying the ingredients included distilled cannabis. The report says Boyd was charged with possession of THC and not being registered to have a controlled substance.

 

WPXI reported that Boyd went to police two days later and said another man was driving the car and that he was not in it when the crash happened.

A second-round pick out of Pittsburgh in 2016, Boyd has four catches for 37 yards this season.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jhowdy54 said:

This explains a lot about his slow start.

Was about to say the same. His sparse playing time now makes a bit more sense.

 

It’s a pity, the guy has some skill and we could use Lafell’s replacement in waiting. Or, pushing him for snaps right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/2017/10/05/report-cincinnati-bengals-wide-receiver-tyler-boyd-facing-drug-charges/737137001/

 

Quote

 

In a statement, the Bengals said “We are aware of the media report and are working to gather more information.”

 

Boyd tweeted a response on Thursday afternoon: "Everybody chill out i wasn't present at the crash nor did i have anything to do with it period. It was just my car."

https://twitter.com/boutdat_23/status/916037762687610880

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting that they charged him, I was just reading elsewhere about these abandoned car scenarios where DUI is fairly obvious, even to the point of the car being wrecked.  People were asking what would be the point of running, and someone at least claiming to be a cop was lamenting that they could usually only get them to plea out to something like reckless driving, and even that was based on threatening an obstruction/accessory charge for not naming the mysterious other driver. 

 

Anyway, unless he was dumb enough to incriminate himself IDK how you prove he was driving, let alone that the booze & weed belonged to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

 

 

Anyway, unless he was dumb enough to incriminate himself IDK how you prove he was driving, let alone that the booze & weed belonged to him.

Of course he's not going to incriminate himself.  He will likely get way less or nothing, but does that mean I believe him?  Nope. 

 

Not a good look and makes you wonder how much of a dunderheaded party boy he really is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

 

makes you wonder how much of a dunderheaded party boy he really is. 

 

Probably not much more or less than any other 23 year old, only with a lot more money and semi-famous. I agree. not a smart move obviously, but not that out of the ordinary either.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

http://local12.com/sports/bengals/report-bengals-wide-receiver-boyd-facing-drug-charges-from-july-accident

Obviously more via the links

 

Quote

 

Boyd's attorneys told Local 12 that their client denies he was in the car and that he had lent his car to a friend, Armani Ford.

 

Another man faces numerous charges in relation to the car crash, but he was not named in the WPXI report.

 

Back in 2015 Boyd was charged with DUI in Jefferson Hills, but was allowed to enter a probation program for first time offenders.

 

He was also ordered to spend 12 months on probation and to take safe driving classes. He had his license suspended for 90 days and he will have to pay court costs.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

 

Probably not much more or less than any other 23 year old, only with a lot more money and semi-famous. I agree. not a smart move obviously, but not that out of the ordinary either.

As you know, how much an NFL team is willing to put up with this kind of stuff has a lot to do with how productive you are. Boyd hasn't been all that productive.  I would expect he is on a short leash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't know he had a prior for DUI. That makes his story a lot less likely, although a fall guy has been named by his attorney.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Marlon23 said:

Interesting how off the field affects the on field.

It has always been thus under Lord Goodell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Montana Bengal said:

I find it highly unlikely the police would charge him with anything unless they can actually prove the drugs were his.  The main part of this story was that there was a CRASH and when police arrived, nobody was there.  Fleeing the scene really riles up the badges. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I find it highly unlikely the police would charge him with anything unless they can actually prove the drugs were his.  The main part of this story was that there was a CRASH and when police arrived, nobody was there.  Fleeing the scene really riles up the badges. 

When said driver flees, pretty much means said driver was guilty of something majorly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

The NFL and King Rodger are trying to figure out how they can blame Burfict for all this and suspend him a few more games.

Burfict hit a defenseless guardrail once,..6 games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point it looks like the state does not have a case against Boyd.  If this had been a serious accident where someone was injured they would probably conduct an extensive investigation to discover who was really driving the car, but if Boyd has named the person who was responsible for his car I doubt they will go any farther than that.

 

In most states it is possible for a person to get charged with a DUI for letting a person he knows is intoxicated drive his car, but there does not seem to be any proof of that either. 

 

NFL players usually havce friends who will take the fall for them.  But NFL players also have lots of friends wanting to borrow their expensive toys.  So without any more evidence I am not going to say the drugs were Boyds.  But he has a problem if a guy he is close enough to to let him borrow a car is into illegal drugs.  Most of us probably have a friend like that, but I hope most of us know not to let that guy borrow a car.

 

Although Boyd was not the burner that everyone said we needed at WR he is a good young player.  Reminds me of Sanu.  Boyd is not a #1 WR but if we let him go he would be signed immediately by another team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, schotzee said:

Unless it was stolen I believe owner is responsible for any contents within? No?!

That was my understanding as well. 

 

Most see the fact that "someone fleed" as a good thing and deflects blame away from Boyd...to me it just makes it worse for him and makes him responsible since he's the owner.  I guess a "scapegoat" person has now been named, so another tangent.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Per the criminal complaint, Boyd told police the pens were his."

 

Ruh-roh Shaggy... A vape pen is not an e-cig. And I think it's going to be tough for him to say "I loaned my buddy two vape pens that he smoked pot out of without my knowledge."

"
Boyd admitted one vape pen & the unopened vape cartridges were his & said "but they don't get you high or anything."

Umm, the 
cartridges were cannabis with THC, right? I'm a pretty massive pot head, and unless you were smoking one of the "aromatic blends" they sell, I haven't come across the magic cartridges that contain THC but doesn't get you high.

Sorry, but the moment he admitted that the Vape Pens and UNOPENED carts were his, it's all over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, esjbh2 said:

That was my understanding as well. 

 

Most see the fact that "someone fleed" as a good thing and deflects blame away from Boyd...to me it just makes it worse for him and makes him responsible since he's the owner.  I guess a "scapegoat" person has now been named, so another tangent.

 

You are not strictly legally responsible for anything in your car unless you are in the car.

 

That does not mean that you are never responsible for something found in your car when you are not there, but there is no automatic responsibility or "constructive possession".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

"Per the criminal complaint, Boyd told police the pens were his."

 

Ruh-roh Shaggy... A vape pen is not an e-cig. And I think it's going to be tough for him to say "I loaned my buddy two vape pens that he smoked pot out of without my knowledge."

"
Boyd admitted one vape pen & the unopened vape cartridges were his & said "but they don't get you high or anything."

Umm, the 
cartridges were cannabis with THC, right? I'm a pretty massive pot head, and unless you were smoking one of the "aromatic blends" they sell, I haven't come across the magic cartridges that contain THC but doesn't get you high.

Sorry, but the moment he admitted that the Vape Pens and UNOPENED carts were his, it's all over.

I doubt he admitted that the cannabis cartridges were his.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Go-Bengals.com on Facebook

Go-Bengals.com on Twitter

×