Just how good a start is Carl Lawson off to?

Lawson was basically nullified in the Browns game, I'm guessing because the Browns coaches took notice of the GB film on him. Still, to attract that much notice from an opposing team that they have to adjust to you, as a rookie, is certainly something to hang your hat on. Now we just need to make adjustments to their adjustments. Er, wait....

1 hour ago, Bunghole said:

Lawson was basically nullified in the Browns game, I'm guessing because the Browns coaches took notice of the GB film on him. Still, to attract that much notice from an opposing team that they have to adjust to you, as a rookie, is certainly something to hang your hat on. Now we just need to make adjustments to their adjustments. Er, wait....

He didn't get any sacks, but he had hurries and hits, and they had to use a RB to chip him.  He still affected the game.

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

"Pass rush productivity"

Got cut off there at the end but that sounds like a PFF made-up stat.  Wonder how he ranks in QB sacks/hits?  That's something clearly quantifiable and unambiguous.  The opposite of PFF, in other words.

QB hurries are not just PFF stats.

53 minutes ago, Jason said:

QB hurries are not just PFF stats.

No, but they're still arbitrary.  How do you decide who "hurried" the QB out of all the pass rushers? Rarely is it just one guy. 

Mixing that number with hits/sacks - numbers that are solid and verifiable - then turning that into a percentage and acting like they've discovered fire, that's what makes it PFF.

15 hours ago, Bunghole said:

Joe Thomas is good.  Can see Lawson struggling against him.  Lawson should get better.  Impressive rookie.  His issue over the years has been staying healthy.  We'll see how he does with that come November.  Being dumb and not wearing a mouthguard makes me wonder a bit.

Seeing him live, in the inclement weather, made him more impressive to me today. One just can't get the effect of his first step even close on TV. He spun the LT out of his shoes on several rushes today--guy couldn't get a glove on him. This is a special talent here...he will just get better.

On 10/8/2017 at 8:26 AM, UncleEarl said:

His issue over the years has been staying healthy.  We'll see how he does with that come November.

Lawson generally plays less than half of the snaps on defense.  Hopefully this will help keep him fresh and healthy

On 10/7/2017 at 11:17 AM, Jason said:

Historically. 

IMG_1924.JPG

I think these stats are based on percentage of snaps played instead of opponents passing plays.  If this is true then a guy like Khalil Mack will only get a chance to pressure the QB on about 60% of his snaps while a guy who plays in the nickle package will get the chance almost 100% of the time.

Archived