Glasgow making Billings disappear.

Through 5 games Ryan Glasglow has played 108 snap  (21.6 avg) on defense and only has one game with less than 20 snaps played.  Billings has only played 41 snaps (8.2 avg).  In fact Glasglow has played almost exactly the same number of snaps as Pat Sims (109).

Billings got all the hype, but considering Glasglow is a rookie and Billings has been here for a year it looks like Ryan may be a steal in the draft that no one is talking about.

Of course it is hard for Glasgow to get much attention with Jordan Willis has playing 127 snaps on defense (plus 57 on special teams) and Carl Lawson playing 160 on defense and 53 on special teams.  Jordan Evans played 12 defensive snaps in the opener, but zero since then.  However he has played 78 snaps on special teams.

All of them are playing supporting roles, but added all together our rookies are contributing a lot to this team.  Lawson has been the most obvious, but they all are helping out.

I am disappointed in Billings (thought he would be a best), but I'm not surprised by Glasgow honestly. I watched him play at meatchicken a lot and he was always making plays..guys were bigger than him and faster than him, but he was always disrupting shit..

It's so awesome to have rookies actually contributing...

19 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Through 5 games Ryan Glasglow has played 108 snap  (21.6 avg) on defense and only has one game with less than 20 snaps played.  Billings has only played 41 snaps (8.2 avg).  In fact Glasglow has played almost exactly the same number of snaps as Pat Sims (109).

Billings got all the hype, but considering Glasglow is a rookie and Billings has been here for a year it looks like Ryan may be a steal in the draft that no one is talking about.

Of course it is hard for Glasgow to get much attention with Jordan Willis has playing 127 snaps on defense (plus 57 on special teams) and Carl Lawson playing 160 on defense and 53 on special teams.  Jordan Evans played 12 defensive snaps in the opener, but zero since then.  However he has played 78 snaps on special teams.

All of them are playing supporting roles, but added all together our rookies are contributing a lot to this team.  Lawson has been the most obvious, but they all are helping out.

I'm really glad to see it. I was thrilled with the pick, and when looking at the film on Charlton for the draft this year, Glasgow was the guy who really stood out on that defense to my eye.

3 hours ago, fluhartz said:

I am disappointed in Billings (thought he would be a best), but I'm not surprised by Glasgow honestly. I watched him play at meatchicken a lot and he was always making plays..guys were bigger than him and faster than him, but he was always disrupting shit..

It's so awesome to have rookies actually contributing...

I am shocked by Billings performance, thought for sure he would be clogging up the middle with his size alone. 

1 minute ago, Marlon23 said:

I am shocked by Billings performance, thought for sure he would be clogging up the middle with his size alone. 

He's shown good leverage, but terrible gap control. He's playing like a one gap DT instead of a 2 gap NT. He's getting to the backfield while the RB goes to the gap he vacated.

IMHO, if he can't play 2 gap, he's more of a Geno backup than a NT.

5 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

TBH...I have seen a lot of goofing up on the gaps--even by the veterans.

Yeah, no one has perfect gap control.... But if you have a guy who gets it right 70% of the time it's better than having a guy who gets it right 30% of the time. 0 tech nose tackle is a thankless job that rarely shows on the stat sheet.

Part of it just positional. Billings is being rotated in for Sims at the 1-tech. We don't play a 1-tech much this year in the nickel, so the 1-tech DTs might get 20-30 snaps combined. Sims is probably good for about 20-25 snaps per game, so Billings only gets the remaining 5 or so.

Glasgow is being rotated for Atkins at the 3-tech. We always have a 3-tech on the field (all ~60 snaps), and we always want Atkins in on 3rd down passing situations. Last year Atkins was in on about 80% of the snaps. If that hasn't changed, that ends up being about 45-50 snaps, so Glasgow gets 10-15 snaps every game just as the backup 3-tech. He hasn't looked bad at all in those snaps though. He played mostly 1-tech at Michigan, but he's currently undersized for a 1-tech in the NFL. I don't know if he's enough of a threat as a pass rusher to be a full-time 3-tech if Atkins is injured, but it's great to see him contributing right away.

I don't think Billings has really "fallen behind" Glasgow. Really, Billings is competing with Sims for snaps. If Billings is doing well, he should be getting more snaps as the season goes on, and Sims probably won't be re-signed next year.

41 minutes ago, SlantNGo said:

Part of it just positional. Billings is being rotated in for Sims at the 1-tech. We don't play a 1-tech much this year in the nickel, so the 1-tech DTs might get 20-30 snaps combined. Sims is probably good for about 20-25 snaps per game, so Billings only gets the remaining 5 or so.

Glasgow is being rotated for Atkins at the 3-tech. We always have a 3-tech on the field (all ~60 snaps), and we always want Atkins in on 3rd down passing situations. Last year Atkins was in on about 80% of the snaps. If that hasn't changed, that ends up being about 45-50 snaps, so Glasgow gets 10-15 snaps every game just as the backup 3-tech. He hasn't looked bad at all in those snaps though. He played mostly 1-tech at Michigan, but he's currently undersized for a 1-tech in the NFL. I don't know if he's enough of a threat as a pass rusher to be a full-time 3-tech if Atkins is injured, but it's great to see him contributing right away.

I don't think Billings has really "fallen behind" Glasgow. Really, Billings is competing with Sims for snaps. If Billings is doing well, he should be getting more snaps as the season goes on, and Sims probably won't be re-signed next year.

This.

19 hours ago, VonBlade said:

Are you BJ in disguise?

11 hours ago, Marlon23 said:

lol...   I don't know what you are talking about.

I think he was asking you for a....

I'm kidding.  BJ posts here and falls in love with huge athletic linemen.  Then makes hilarious posts about them and then we don't draft them.

1 hour ago, WRAPradio said:

I think he was asking you for a....

I'm kidding.  BJ posts here and falls in love with huge athletic linemen.  Then makes hilarious posts about them and then we don't draft them.

Yep , as long as they're big as a bus and can do backflips. :1hump:

• 2 months later...
On 10/10/2017 at 10:11 AM, fredtoast said:

UPDATE

over the last 6 games Billings has played 208 snaps and Glasgow 176

Billings is now starting at 1-tech. He seems to be alternating between good and terrible (e.g. Bears) games, while Sims is now the backup 1-tech getting ~10 snaps. Glasgow is still the backup 3-tech and seems to be doing a decent job. I don't think he'll ever be a dominant pass rusher, and there doesn't seem to be much of a market for starting 3-tech DTs that can't rush the passer (like Brandon Thompson) so his best bet to turn into a starter might be to put on some weight in the offseason and try to play as a hybrid tackle who can play both at 1-tech and 3-tech so that he's in on almost every down where we play 2 DTs.

Overall I sense some growing pains with these 2 young tackles, but hopefully we can get at least 1 solid starter out of them. I think Glasgow is looking better than Billings thus far, but Billings probably has the higher ceiling (to potentially be a dominant 1-tech).

Archived