Bengals TE Eifert reportedly considering another back surgery, which would end season

http://local12.com/sports/bengals/eifert-reportedly-considering-another-back-surgery-which-would-end-season

Bengals TE Eifert reportedly considering another back surgery, which would end season

CINCINNATI (WKRC) - Bengals tight end Tyler Eifert hasn't practiced since playing in the team's Sept. 14 game against the Houston and re-aggravating his surgically-repaired back so it's not surprising that a report from ESPN's Adam Schefter and Field Yates on Wednesday says Eifert is in Los Angeles contemplating back surgery again.

Adam Schefter ✔@AdamSchefter
Bengals TE Tyler Eifert is in LA, deciding whether to undergo a 3rd back surgery that would end his year, sources tell @FieldYates and me.
2:27 PM - Oct 11, 2017

Eifert has rarely even been seen in the locker room since that game against Houston and hasn't done anything on the rehab field either.
He played in each of the first two games this season and participated in 83 percent of the offensive snaps, but had just four receptions for 46 yards, including three for 42 against Houston.

There was no report during the Houston game that he was injured.

Eifert, who has had a myriad of injuries during his career, said prior to training camp beginning that he felt 100 percent, and the only other time he felt as good physically heading into training camp was 2015. All he did that season was set a single-season team record for touchdown receptions by a tight end (13) and earn a spot in the Pro Bowl.

He unfortunately hurt his ankle badly enough in the Pro Bowl that it led to him having surgery in May of 2016, which prevented him from participating in training camp last year. He didn't participate in the first two games of the regular season either, then hurt his back when he returned to practice on Sept. 21. Eifert proceeded to miss the next four games before playing in the next eight games and shutting it down for the final two games to have the back surgery.
He also had surgery in 2014 to repair a dislocated elbow suffered in the first quarter of the opening game and then to clean up a shoulder injury after it was deemed he wouldn't be able to return.

Tyler Kroft has played well of late in place of Eifert, recording 13 catches for 134 yards and two touchdowns in the last three games combined.

Not good news considering Shefter tweeted a couple of weeks ago that Eifert had no plans for surgery but would miss multiple weeks.  Sounds like the back hasn't improved after 3 weeks off so now surgery is on the table.  Eifert probably wants to do it sooner than later with free agency looming in March.  He will join the Bengals' list of promising players who couldn't stay on the field, but his time in Cincinnati has likely ended.

As far as replacements are concerned, Gary Barnidge is probably the biggest name available. I would also think they consider snagging Matt Lengel off the Browns practice squad.

13 minutes ago, BengalBuck said:

I think Eifert needs to think about hanging it up. Really sad, such potential, but isn't this the third back surgery? Dude has his whole life to go, don't wind up crippled for football/money.

Well, sounds like he is heading in that direction.  Opt for the surgery.  Don't play or practice.  Collect your money. 

3 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Well, sounds like he is heading in that direction.  Opt for the surgery.  Don't play or practice.  Collect your money. 

Well, that's the way the league works. These guys get paid big bucks to put their bodies on the line every Sunday and sometimes it works out this way. I doubt very much that he is faking his injuries/surgeries to collect free money.

Regardless of whether or not he plans on continuing his career in football or stepping away I think both the Bengals and Eifert would agree it's time to part ways.

Go on season ending IR and go from there.  He isn't helping the team now or in the immediate future.

It would open a space on the roster and very slim chance he comes back and lasts a whole game.

If he comes back, he could do real (further) damage to himself that would affect him for the rest of his life.

I like what I have seen of Kroft, U and Carter so far.

1 hour ago, BengalBuck said:

Well, that's the way the league works. These guys get paid big bucks to put their bodies on the line every Sunday and sometimes it works out this way. I doubt very much that he is faking his injuries/surgeries to collect free money.

Regardless of whether or not he plans on continuing his career in football or stepping away I think both the Bengals and Eifert would agree it's time to part ways.

I'm not blaming him.  He should take care of himself.  He has offered up his body for our entertainment for quite a while.  No way I would walk away from the money. 

The TE position is brutal to play.  Most of your catches will be in the middle of the field where people are diving at you trying to take you down.  Not only is there little time to react/brace yourself after making the catch, you've got people like Mike Mitchell trying to knock your head off.  Then those that do play within the rules are diving at your knees.  TE is probably the least desirable position to play from an injuries perspective IMO.

Archived