Bengals TE Eifert reportedly considering another back surgery, which would end season

25 minutes ago, SF2 said:

He was one of the best tight ends in the game for a very BRIEF period of time just as Jackson was the best pure runners for a brief period of time.  Doesn't make them elite.  Elite players play at a high level for an extended period of time and are key to the actual success of the team.  They win multiple awards and accolades and are recognized by their peers. Eifert has done neither. 

Sorry, but you are not allowed to make up your own definitions for words.

Can't have adult conversations if we can not even agree to use the standard definition of words instead of just making up our own to support our own opinion.

1 hour ago, schotzee said:

SF2 read the definition of elite. Doing something over an extended period of time has nothing to do with it. It's being one of the best at what you do when you're healthy enough to do it. Eifert was elite.

Fixed.

And that time of being elite was quite short.  Greg Cook short.

7 hours ago, fredtoast said:

It is amazing the mental gymnastics that some people here will go through just to shit on a Bengal.  But the saddest thing is when people just make up stuff when they don't have any actual facts.

Here are the highlights of Eiferts '15 season. 

He was an elite athlete.  

You say it here yourself. He WAS an elite athlete, for ONE season. His frequent injuries and subsequent lack of being able to play render him un-elite. I really like him, have met him in person, he seems to be a good guy. But you cannot remain elite if you cannot play. Eifert cannot, and likely will not (and SHOULD not) ever play again. Not elite overall. Had elite talent, showcased it in ONE season, then continuous ouch. It sucks for us because in spite of our offensive success recently, we could really use that guy. Kroft is no Eifert in talent terms...but he's been better in reliability terms.

3 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Fixed.

And that time of being elite was quite short.  Greg Cook short.

32 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

You say it here yourself. He WAS an elite athlete, for ONE season.

Thank you guys for backing me up on this.  Anyone who says he was not elite doesn't know much about football.

7 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Thank you guys for backing me up on this.  Anyone who says he was not elite doesn't know much about football.

I don't think anyone was arguing "elite talent". I think it was more a reference to say an NFL player is "truly elite" (with talent not being the deciding factor) if he plays at an elite level AND can sustain at LEAST a few seasons of play without major injury. Tyler doesn't qualify under that standard, but Gronkowski does, for that position, due to longevity and despite being injured frequently. As noted earlier in the thread, that position is rough on the body. Really rough.

1 hour ago, Bunghole said:

I don't think anyone was arguing "elite talent". I think it was more a reference to say an NFL player is "truly elite" (with talent not being the deciding factor) if he plays at an elite level AND can sustain at LEAST a few seasons of play without major injury. Tyler doesn't qualify under that standard, but Gronkowski does, for that position, due to longevity and despite being injured frequently. As noted earlier in the thread, that position is rough on the body. Really rough.

So by this definition there has never been a single elite player in the history of the NFL that had his career cut short by injury because anyone that had his career cut short was never elite.

This argument is getting beyond ridiculous.  Look up the definition of the word instead of making up your own.

1 hour ago, schotzee said:

Why does everyone keep changing wording after elite for him? Eifert is elite when he is playing his position as compared to others at his position. As Vonblade would say, read the bloody definition of elite for goodness sake.

You chose one definition of elite.  Here is one from dictionary.com

"elite

or élite

[ih-leet, ey-leet]

Examples

Word Origin

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com

noun

(often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

2. (used with a plural verb) persons of the highest class:

Only the elite were there.

3. a group of persons exercising the major share of authority or influence within a larger group:

the power elite of a major political party.

4. a type, approximately 10-point in printing-type size, widely used in typewriters and having 12 characters to the inch.

Compare pica1.

adjective

representing the most choice or select; best:"

What makes the definition you like better than this one?

13 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

You chose one definition of elite.  Here is one from dictionary.com

"elite

or élite

[ih-leet, ey-leet]

Examples

Word Origin

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com

noun

(often used with a plural verb) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons.

2. (used with a plural verb) persons of the highest class:

Only the elite were there.

3. a group of persons exercising the major share of authority or influence within a larger group:

the power elite of a major political party.

4. a type, approximately 10-point in printing-type size, widely used in typewriters and having 12 characters to the inch.

Compare pica1.

adjective

representing the most choice or select; best:"

What makes the definition you like better than this one?

Eifert wasn't the best TE in the league in 2015. Not even top 3.  Wasnt even an All-Pro.  Therefore according to the above definition, he was not elite.  Good evening gentlemen. 

23 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Eifert wasn't the best TE in the league in 2015. Not even top 3.  Wasnt even an All-Pro.  Therefore according to the above definition, he was not elite.  Good evening gentlemen. 

He "represented the most choice or select".  So he was elite.

11 hours ago, fredtoast said:

So by this definition there has never been a single elite player in the history of the NFL that had his career cut short by injury because anyone that had his career cut short was never elite.

This argument is getting beyond ridiculous.  Look up the definition of the word instead of making up your own.

What? Eifert hasn't even played ONE full NFL season, has he? Again, I stated that he has "elite talent", but was not "truly elite" because he cannot stay healthy.Talent is meaningless in an injury vacuum because being elite means you get to showcase your elite talent by being on the field!

3 hours ago, schotzee said:

Ok ok ok. Whatever. He is not was not elite.  I do know that at one point in his life he weighed less than 20 lbs. Let's see if we can argue that statement.

Actually he weight 20lbs 9 oz when he was born and never lost weight 

5 hours ago, Bunghole said:

What? Eifert hasn't even played ONE full NFL season, has he? Again, I stated that he has "elite talent", but was not "truly elite" because he cannot stay healthy.Talent is meaningless in an injury vacuum because being elite means you get to showcase your elite talent by being on the field!

"Elite talent" means he was elite.

If a player was to come into the NFL and rush for 250 yards for six straight games would you actually say "Sure, he is the best and most talented player in the league, but he is not "elite" because the best player in the league is not always "elite"."

Do you realize how ridiculous that would sound?

Eifert's 2015 season was arguably the best for any TE in franchise history and earned him a Pro Bowl nod.  Unfortunately, he only produced at that level in one of his five seasons.  NFL history is littered with players who had a great season or two and then vanished.   I look at it as "what could have been" had all the injuries not befallen him.  He teased us with his abilities and it's disappointing his career has taken this turn.

6 hours ago, fredtoast said:

"Elite talent" means he was elite.

If a player was to come into the NFL and rush for 250 yards for six straight games would you actually say "Sure, he is the best and most talented player in the league, but he is not "elite" because the best player in the league is not always "elite"."

Do you realize how ridiculous that would sound?

You are not understanding my post(s). Of course I would not say that about a player that ran for 250 yards per game for six straight games. You know why? Because he was HEALTHY enough to stay on the field to do so, in addition to his obvious physical talents which would then quantify him as "elite". 

Elite talent means shit when you're in the tub every game instead of on the field. You have to produce stats to be considered elite. Sadly, Eifert is bound for the injury dustbin instead of being the ELITE talent that we sprinted to the podium to draft in the first round out of Notre Dame.

15 hours ago, Bunghole said:

You are not understanding my post(s). Of course I would not say that about a player that ran for 250 yards per game for six straight games. You know why? Because he was HEALTHY enough to stay on the field to do so, in addition to his obvious physical talents which would then quantify him as "elite". 

Elite talent means shit when you're in the tub every game instead of on the field. You have to produce stats to be considered elite. Sadly, Eifert is bound for the injury dustbin instead of being the ELITE talent that we sprinted to the podium to draft in the first round out of Notre Dame.

I think you are an elite poster.  Unlike others I can think of...

no :ninja:

On 10/14/2017 at 9:28 PM, Bunghole said:

But if he only played 6 games that would be a lot less than eifert plyaed.  

So how could a guy who just played 6 games be elite?

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

But if he only played 6 games that would be a lot less than eifert plyaed.  

So how could a guy who just played 6 games be elite?

Its 2017 Skippy.  27 Year old Tyler Eifert's stat line for this year will read 4 catches for 46 yards.  

In 2016 he had 29 catches for 394 yards.

Not elite. 

Had a great 2015, that is all.  He has played in 2 playoff games.  AWOL the first one, was very mediocre for the other.  Gotta play big in big games to be elite. 

Gresham is a 2 time pro bowler,..he isn't elite either.     

BTW, here is the elite Nick Foles 2013 highlights.  He is the future of the Eagles,..even Deion Sanders says so!!

41 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Its 2017 Skippy.  27 Year old Tyler Eifert's stat line for this year will read 4 catches for 46 yards.  

In 2016 he had 29 catches for 394 yards.

Not elite.

Who said he was elite in '16 or 17?

BTW, you know how I can tell when I am winning an argument?  When the person on the other side has to resort to things like calling me "Skippy".

Archived