9 hours ago, SF2 said:

Beckham wasn't hurt when he was drafted and never missed a game in 3 years at LSU.  

What?  How can this be possible?  I thought that the only players that ever get injured as rookies are guys who were injured in college.

And guys who were injured when drafted, like Leonard Fournette, never do anything as rookies.

The Bengals are the only team in the league who are too stupid to know these things.  Right?

9 hours ago, fredtoast said:

What?  How can this be possible?  I thought that the only players that ever get injured as rookies are guys who were injured in college.

And guys who were injured when drafted, like Leonard Fournette, never do anything as rookies.

The Bengals are the only team in the league who are too stupid to know these things.  Right?

Uhh, what was the point of this response?  Someone made a reference to OBJ and I responded that he wasn't hurt in college but rather got hurt during first NFL pre season.  Injuries happen.

25 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Uhh, what was the point of this response? 

To make fun of the people who think we should never draft a player who has been injured in college or is still recovering at the time of the draft.

So what was the point of your post about Beckham never being injured in college?

56 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Uhh, what was the point of this response?  Someone made a reference to OBJ and I responded that he wasn't hurt in college but rather got hurt during first NFL pre season.  Injuries happen.

Wow, I think you answered the question to the entire argument!!!

Injuries Happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!

Judging from Marvin's comments a couple days ago, it doesn't sound like Ross' return is imminent.  Expecting him to have a major impact if/when he returns is unrealistic since he has missed so much practice time.  It takes time for any rookie to develop chemistry with a quarterback and Ross has probably suited up for less than a dozen practices thus far.  I also don't think the coaches have a ton of faith in him based off him being benched after his fumble in the one game he actually did play. 

Basically, comparisons to OBJ should be put aside until Ross does something.  It starts with getting on the field.

4 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Judging from Marvin's comments a couple days ago, it doesn't sound like Ross' return is imminent.  Expecting him to have a major impact if/when he returns is unrealistic since he has missed so much practice time.  It takes time for any rookie to develop chemistry with a quarterback and Ross has probably suited up for less than a dozen practices thus far.  I also don't think the coaches have a ton of faith in him based off him being benched after his fumble in the one game he actually did play. 

Basically, comparisons to OBJ should be put aside until Ross does something.  It starts with getting on the field.

And at this point every time he steps on the field the defense will be waiting for some gadget play aka the end around or reverse.   I agree it is wishful thinking that he can show up after 4 or 5 games and be able to run routes,.. Bo Jackson couldn't. 

14 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

Wow, I think you answered the question to the entire argument!!!

Injuries Happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!

Yeah but certainly certain injuries  and number of injuries in college are red flags.  Marcus Lattimore comes to mind.  SF spent a 4th round pick on him. 

8 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Yeah but certainly certain injuries  and number of injuries in college are red flags.  Marcus Lattimore comes to mind.  SF spent a 4th round pick on him. 

Anthony Munoz had multiple knee surgeries in college and the Bengals took him in the first round. Jonathan Joseph had multiple foot/ankle injuries in college and the Bengals also used a first round pick on him.  Adrian Peterson had major injuries in each of his last two season in college but the Vikings used a First round pick on him.

In fact 5 of the top 10 overall picks in this years drafts were coming of injuries in the '16 season.

If you exclude all players who have been injured in college then you are going to miss out on a ton of great NFL players.  This whole argument is just another example of the little whiners around here who like to shit on the Bengals for doing exactly what every other team in the league does.

3 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Anthony Munoz had multiple knee surgeries in college and the Bengals took him in the first round. Jonathan Joseph had multiple foot/ankle injuries in college and the Bengals also used a first round pick on him.  Adrian Peterson had major injuries in each of his last two season in college but the Vikings used a First round pick on him.

In fact 5 of the top 10 overall picks in this years drafts were coming of injuries in the '16 season.

If you exclude all players who have been injured in college then you are going to miss out on a ton of great NFL players.  This whole argument is just another example of the little whiners around here who like to shit on the Bengals for doing exactly what every other team in the league does.

And this post is another one of your "Lets make shit up" so I can look smart posts.  I didn't say don't draft players who have been injured in college.  Never said it.   I said some injuries are worse than others.  Are you disputing that? Every major injury in college is a red flag.  Team doctors are paid very well to make sure it ISN'T a problem going forward.  If the team doctors had said no to Munoz, we wouldn't have drafted him. 

It was reported that Ross was taken off multiple draft boards because of his medical history.  The Bengals cleared him and rolled the dice.  Thus far it is not looking good for their bet as Ross is injured yet again.  They knew the risks when drafting him and it is completely fair to question that decision.

10 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

It was reported that Ross was taken off multiple draft boards because of his medical history.  The Bengals cleared him and rolled the dice.  Thus far it is not looking good for their bet as Ross is injured yet again.  They knew the risks when drafting him and it is completely fair to question that decision.

BTW, Tyler Eifert's only major injury in college, BACK issue that kept him out his entire Freshman year.    Worst sports injury you can have is back issues,..just ask Tiger. 

3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

It was reported that Ross was taken off multiple draft boards because of his medical history.

Teams never give out legitimate information like that. In fact they are likely to release mis-information to scare away other teams.

Some teams may have not drafted him in the top 10, but guarantee you there was not a single team that took Ross completely off their board.  Shoulder injuries rarely end a WRs career.

46 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

John Ross is goingto destroy this league, let the fucker learn and have some patience.

Because he can run 40 yards maybe 1/10th of a second faster than most DB's?  All I've seen him do so far towards "destroy(ing) the league" is fumble the ball and get hurt.  What league-destroying ability am I missing here?

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

I didn't say don't draft players who have been injured in college.  Never said it.

True.  You are fine with other teams drafting players who have been injured.  The only team you shit on constantly for doing it is the Bengals.

I am starting to see a pattern with you.

Ross had serious injuries to each of his knees in college.  Torn meniscus and micro fracture surgery on one and ACL reconstruction on the other.  This was commonly known during the draft and was cited as the reason some teams wouldn't touch him.  Surprisingly, he is currently dealing with a knee injury.  Who could have possibly guessed that a guy with a history of knee injuries would suffer a knee injury?  

1 minute ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Ross had serious injuries to each of his knees in college.  Torn meniscus and micro fracture surgery on one and ACL reconstruction on the other.  This was commonly known during the draft and was cited as the reason some teams wouldn't touch him.  Surprisingly, he is currently dealing with a knee injury.  Who could have possibly guessed that a guy with a history of knee injuries would suffer a knee injury?  

But he fully recovered from the knee injuries to have over 1000 receiving yards and score 19 tds last year.

Again, if you refuse to draft players who were injured in college you are going to miss out on a lot of great players.  Five of the top 10 players taken in this years draft were coming off of injuries in college.

22 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Again, if a team uses a top 10 pick on a player with an extensive injury history and that player is injured, it's fair game to criticize that team.  There were other options available.

I don't call it "fair" when you only get to criticize them with the benefit of hindsight.

None of you seem to be willing to admit that you would have made the stupid decision to pass on a player who was injured in college but went on to a good NFL career.  Instead all you want to do is use hindsight to shit on the Bengals for doing exactly what every other team in the league does.

Jonathan Joseph had a terrible injury history in college, and when he left in free agency many of you acted like it was the end of the world.  Yet not a single one of you ever praised the Bengals for taking a chance on a guy with a bad history of injuries.

Plenty of people here and elsewhere questioned the Ross pick when it happened specifically because he appeared injury prone.  It's nonsense to say the Bengals cannot be criticized for taking him because other teams have drafted players with similar histories.  Any team who accepts that kind of risk can and should be blamed if it isn't working out with that player.  There is no immunity to criticism just because sometimes it pans out, like it did with Munoz.

Archived