3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Plenty of people here and elsewhere questioned the Ross pick when it happened specifically because he appeared injury prone. 

You sure about that?  The only people I saw critcizing the pick were the ones that felt we had much bigger needs than a WR.

Every team in the league drafts players that were injured in college.  Some of them work out and some of them don't.  It is too easy for fans to just say "I told you so" when one of them gets injured but never say a peep when one of them works out.  Everyone looks like a genius when they have the benefit of hindsight.

Same thing with character "red flags".  lots of players with charcter problems coming out of college.  If just one goes bad in the pros every fan starts screaming "I told you so" but they never start threads talking about how stupid they were to doubt the guys that work out.

4 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Plenty of people here and elsewhere questioned the Ross pick when it happened specifically because he appeared injury prone.  It's nonsense to say the Bengals cannot be criticized for taking him because other teams have drafted players with similar histories.  Any team who accepts that kind of risk can and should be blamed if it isn't working out with that player.  There is no immunity to criticism just because sometimes it pans out, like it did with Munoz.

Most of you bitch about everything, and then crow if you're right, but sit silent as fuck when you're wrong.  SMDH!

52 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

Most of you bitch about everything, and then crow if you're right, but sit silent as fuck when you're wrong.  SMDH!

This.

If you bitch and squeal about every single move the Bengals make you are bound to be right once in a while.

Also it is absurd is absurd to judge a player to be a bust just 5 games into his career.  But I guarantee that if Ross does become a solid player not a single one of these whiners will start a thread talking about how wrong they were.

Remember when Peko was proof that the Bengals coaches and front office did not care about winning?  Wonder where all those experts are now that the '15 Super Bowl Champions are paying him more than the Bengals did to be the starting NT on the best rush defense in the league.

Crickets from the whiny bitches.  Same you will hear if Ross pans out.

8 hours ago, fredtoast said:

True.  You are fine with other teams drafting players who have been injured.  The only team you shit on constantly for doing it is the Bengals.

I am starting to see a pattern with you.

No, simply not true.  You are making shit up again. I don't think I even responded about Ross on draft day.  My only comment was we drafted a shiny object we did not need but that was much later.  My other comment was it would be nice to really know what is wrong with our first round draft choice. I never expected him to play much this year anyways.  

I doubt I ever said much about Eifert either other than we didn't need to spend another first round pick on a tight end at the time. I didn't even know he had a back issue in college until recently.

A) it was sarcasm
B) he's played in more games than Ross and Eifert...Combined
C) he's playing behind Brate who's a good TE
D) Just because he doesn't put up stats on one team doesn't mean he wouldn't for another 
E) he's 4 games into his career
F) I believe he has a TD this year

Would you like me to keep going?

But I thought he was this can't miss prospect who was gonna light the world on fire? But he can't beat out an average at best te.

4 hours ago, Jpoore said:

But I thought he was this can't miss prospect who was gonna light the world on fire? But he can't beat out an average at best te.

True, OJ Howard hasn't been great 4 games into his career, but this season he's done more than Ross and Eifert..Combined.  

I wouldn't and haven't labeled Ross a bust at this point.  I think he was an injury risk when he was drafted and clearly he hasn't shaken the injury bug in his brief NFL career.  Given the recent history of Bengals' 1st round picks, maybe I should expect them to get injured at some point as a rookie and miss games.  Dating back to 2008, it has happened frequently (Rivers, Andre, Dre K, Eifert, Dennard, Ogbuehi, WJ3, Ross).  

G-off says he "may practice this week", I assume in the sense that a nesting pair of American wigeons may fly out of his ass and do a number from Porgy & Bess, but we shall see.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Hobsons-Choice-bye-edition/2f77b6ff-cfb7-4b7d-a6b9-6f30d40e1911

Was also posted as a caption to a photo, so take it with an extra "Whatever, guy."  Mentions Josh Malone so we may see more of him in the meantime. 

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

He also wonders openly about Core--like why isn't this amazing summer talent playing now? Could be because the guy has only one move--straight line--and not a thing else? 

Core also had a pretty serious case of the drops in preseason.  I wouldn't want to count on him. 

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Ross-cautiously-returns-step-by-step/3b90af14-3a53-4bf8-8fb5-06d68111321c

The Monday Gee Off Report...

link above, exert below:

John Ross, last seen when he fumbled his first NFL touch back on Sept. 14, returned to practice Monday as the Bengals began preparations for Sunday’s game (4:25 p.m.-Cincinnati’s Channel 12) in Pittsburgh and it doesn’t sound like he’ll be ready for the Stealers.

Now there's a surprise...

12 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Ross-cautiously-returns-step-by-step/3b90af14-3a53-4bf8-8fb5-06d68111321c

link above, exert below:

John Ross, last seen when he fumbled his first NFL touch back on Sept. 14, returned to practice Monday as the Bengals began preparations for Sunday’s game (4:25 p.m.-Cincinnati’s Channel 12) in Pittsburgh and it doesn’t sound like he’ll be ready for the Stealers.

What would be a surprise is if the entire team showed up ready for the Stealers.

new-debbie-downer-gif-525.gif

17 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

link above, exert below:

They're referring to the December 4th game . :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Unless it was bc he is still banged up , Lewis' statement here concerns me. I think it definitely sounds he sticks to game plan going in and doesn't alter. Basically live or die with plan going in and do not deviate. This is not good policy as others have pointed out. The old lack of adjustments argument in a nutshell.

2 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Unless it was bc he is still banged up , Lewis' statement here concerns me. I think it definitely sounds he sticks to game plan going in and doesn't alter. Basically live or die with plan going in and do not deviate. This is not good policy as others have pointed out. The old lack of adjustments argument in a nutshell.

Ross may not be as healthy as advertised. Or he may not be very good at picking up the playbook. Or he may not be very good at transitioning to the NFL level.

One thing is for sure. I didn't like the Ross draft choice at the time and nothing has changed my mind as of yet.

11 minutes ago, schotzee said:

I think it definitely sounds he sticks to game plan going in and doesn't alter. Basically live or die with plan going in and do not deviate. This is not good policy as others have pointed out. The old lack of adjustments argument in a nutshell.

Funny how the same people that complain that marvin never makes adjustments also complain about the adjustments he makes.

Last week the SAME POST contained a complaint about how Marvin never makes any adjustments and a complaint about how Marvin stopped running Mixon in the second half.

I am noit saying Marvin does not make any mistakes.  I just think it is funny how these message board and talk radio myths take ona life of their own to the point that people don't even think about what they are saying.

8 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Ross may not be as healthy as advertised. Or he may not be very good at picking up the playbook. Or he may not be very good at transitioning to the NFL level.

One thing is for sure. I didn't like the Ross draft choice at the time and nothing has changed my mind as of yet.

Yea,  probably should have traded down or reached a little for an offensive lineman like they did with Levi Jones.

1 minute ago, fredtoast said:

Funny how the same people that complain that marvin never makes adjustments also complain about the adjustments he makes.

Last week the SAME POST contained a complaint about how Marvin never makes any adjustments and a complaint about how Marvin stopped running Mixon in the second half.

I am noit saying Marvin does not make any mistakes.  I just think it is funny how these message board and talk radio myths take ona life of their own to the point that people don't even think about what they are saying.

I'm not always tooting the no adjustment horn though. I only surmised it from Marv's statement that he was not part of the plan going in. Sounds like he wasn't gonna use him no matter what and that has to be concerning. 

55 minutes ago, schotzee said:

I'm not always tooting the no adjustment horn though. I only surmised it from Marv's statement that he was not part of the plan going in. Sounds like he wasn't gonna use him no matter what and that has to be concerning. 

He dressed for the game because Core and Boyd were out.  I think the only way he would have seen significant minutes was if another receiver got hurt.

5 minutes ago, ctfan73 said:

He dressed for the game because Core and Boyd were out.  I think the only way he would have seen significant minutes was if another receiver got hurt.

I'd say this is highly accurate. Ross played a grand total of 6 snaps on O out of the possible 56. He also played 0 ST snaps and you'll usually see active WRs that don't get snaps at WR finding some playing time on one of the ST units.

It's pretty clear that Ross is planned to be a WR and not much of a STer and that he's just not ready for whatever reason whether it's injury, playbook, or performance related.

Archived