Comforting to know some things never change

36 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Can he appeal and drag it out for awhile?

I have to think he can appeal.  He would want to drag it out long enough to get to bye week in two weeks then sit for the Colts. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

I have to think he can appeal.  He would want to drag it out long enough to get to bye week in two weeks then sit for the Colts. 

I was looking at the appeals process on the league site. Very convoluted...as I suppose one would expect. 

Best at I can make it out: player gets letter advising of suspension, then lays out the process (not stated), then player may "respond" again not defined). Then league "responds" then the "process" begins. No mention as to whether accused player gets to play while going through the "process", but one should believe they can--so as not to be docked pay immediately. 

I recall Burdock's appeal took several weeks before the Pontiff even met with him, and didn't he play? 

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Can he appeal and drag it out for awhile?

Yep, like I was saying their schedule is soft after our game, though they've been shitty enough to lose to pretty much anybody.

And again, all of this assuming he actually does get suspended for the first time in his NFL career. Somehow.

20 minutes ago, palmer4mvp said:

Officially not suspended but fined 48k. Not that anyone here is surprised but certainly adds fire to the conspiracy theories

Oh I'm surprised alright. Surprised that he even got a fine. I think that's total disrespect to Alex Smith!

I didn't see the game, but I just watched the hit on this post.  The play was over and he targeted his legs from the rear. Ridiculous. Any reaction from the commentators? Usually if there is, there's a phantom holding call on the defense the next play. Some bullshit makeup call that nearly everyone swallows as good enough, and everyone moves on. The most I ever see the Stealers pay for trying to end careers is 15 yards.

19 hours ago, Hooky said:

And I guess player history doesn't apply like it did for Burdock.

Speaking from a # of fine basis, Burdock wasn't suspended until after his 6th fine including multiple player safety violations, the ball tag, and ankle twisting.

Mitchell has been fined 3 other times, 1 of them was taunting when he played in Carolina so this will be his 3rd player safety fine. Just to put it into perspective.

The league is definitely inconsistent though, Danny Trevathan just got suspended for a game without ever being fined in the past, and IMO (doubt many will disagree) Mitchell deserved to be fined 5+ other times in his career including other hits in that Chiefs game. If the NFL is serious about cracking down on the whole player safety thing, you have to suspend Mitchell here for going low on Alex Smith AND hitting West helmet to helmet in the same game.

From a pure number of fines perspective, I'm not so pissed that he isn't suspended, but there's more to it than that. Mitchell is the piece of shit that everyone else seems to think Burfict is.

Archived