Trade possibilities and pipe dreams

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/10/17/16486274/is-a-trade-in-the-cards-for-the-bengals

Is a trade in the cards for the Bengals?

Cincinnati certainly has the pieces to make something work.

by John Acree  Oct 17, 2017, 7:00am EDT

The NFL trade deadline is only a couple of weeks away, and the Cincinnati Bengals have several players who could be potential trade chips.

Rumors have abounded for months concerning potential trades involving quarterback A.J. McCarron. But any trade of McCarron would leave the Bengals without a healthy backup quarterback. Can anyone say Colin Kaepernick? (Oh, HELL no! ...hsh)

Jeremy Hill has been the subject of trade rumors for almost as long as McCarron. And the Bengals boast a pretty good cornerback who is not getting a lot of playing time in KeiVarae Russell, a third-round selection of the Kansas City Chiefs who is languishing behind a quartet of first-round selections in Adam Jones, Dre Kirkpatrick, Darqueze Dennardand William Jackson, III.

Finally, offseason acquisition Kevin Minter, the inside linebacker Pro Football Focus named 25th best in the NFL in 2016, has seen very little time on the field for the Bengals and could be the answer for several linebacker-hungry teams.

OK. The Bengals have some players who could potentially bring some value on the open market. But are there any teams out there who need what the Bengals have?

Several teams are in desperate need of a quarterback. According to ESPN, San Francisco quarterback Brian Hoyer is one of the worst starting quarterbacks in the NFL with a total rating of 30.3 (Deshaun Watson is the leader at 80.7). Trevor Siemian of the Denver Broncos comes in at 39.6.

A plethora of injuries this weekend has opened up even more possibilities, with by far the most devastating of those injuries being Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, who may be lost for the season with a broken collarbone.

Washington cornerback Bashaud Breeland injured his knee and is also set to undergo an MRI. Carolina running back Fozzy Whittaker injured his right ankle Thursday and was last seen in a walking boot.

Linebacker Luke Kuechly is once again in concussion protocol with the Carolina Panthers. Kuechly missed six games last year with a concussion and had suffered at least two in the past two years.

If the Bengals are looking for a quality offensive lineman, in addition to high draft picks, in exchange for McCarron, the only place to go is San Francisco, which has made it clear that every player on its roster is available for the right price. Not only would McCarron provide an instant upgrade at the quarterback position, but the 49ers also have a top-tier offensive lineman they may be willing to part with.

Joe Staley was a first-round selection of the 49ers in the 2007 NFL Draft and has been one of the best left tackles in football during this decade. He made the Pro Bowl every year from 2011 through 2015, during which time he played in all 16 games for San Francisco. On the downside, Staley, who is 33-years old, missed the last three games of the 2016 season with a hamstring injury and has battled several small injuries this year.

Staley’s price would be significant, with a salary of $4.8 million over the next two season, along with a cap hit of $7.7 million over that same period of time. But the Bengals were planning to pay Tyler Eifert even more than that sum before his latest injury, and now have the additional cap space to make it work.

Green Bay is dealing with significant injuries along its offensive line, having lost tackles Bryan Bulaga and David Bakhtiari for a period of time, so any trade with the Packers would not involve the return of an offensive tackle.

But the Packers’ overwhelming need for help at quarterback is clear, with their season hanging in the balance after the loss of Rodgers. The Bengals could certainly expect to receive at least a second-round pick in next year’s draft in exchange for McCarron, if not a first.

As desperate as the Packers are at quarterback, Carolina may be equally as desperate for linebacker help, considering Kuechly’s history of concussions. Minter would be a perfect fit in the Panthers’ 4-3 front, and Hill could be just the piece to soften the blow of any potential loss of Whittaker. Of course, the return would have to be significantbefore the Bengals would be willing to part with two players the caliber of Minter and Hill.

Denver is in a similar position to Green Bay, both in terms of its need for a quality quarterback and its lack of top-tier offensive linemen to offer in trade. The Broncos are intimately familiar with McCarron’s abilities, having seen first-hand what the Alabama product is capable of. McCarron, filling in for an injured Andy Dalton, performed admirably in a 20-16 overtime loss at Denver in the second-to-last game of the 2015 season.

Denver was rumored to be extremely interested in McCarron during the preseason and may be willing to part with a high draft pick, as well. The Broncos are expected to have two third-round picks and two fourth-round selections in the 2018 NFL Draft.

The possibilities are certainly there for the Bengals to make a big splash at or before the NFL’s trade deadline. It is more likely that nothing will happen, but it is always interesting to explore what might have been.

Minter has played more than this guy says. 

At this juncture, we are dancing with who we brought to the party. The 3-man rotation at the tackles has solidified the breaking dam more than bringing in a dude (upgrade on paper as he is) this late in the season who doesn't know squat about the offense. 

Sounds strange--considering the supposed strength at the position--but if there were a veteran speedster at WR to be had, that might be worth a look. But certainly not for McSkeeter, or Minter...maybe the spare part CB. 

Just now, schotzee said:

Martavis Bryant is apparently on the block after an earlier trade demand. It may be unpopular on here , but i would love to get him.

He said those rumors were false yesterday.....and not sure who we cut, i think we're pretty loaded at WR, not sure if it's worth trading a pick for a WR.

6 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

He said those rumors were false yesterday.....and not sure who we cut, i think we're pretty loaded at WR, not sure if it's worth trading a pick for a WR.

Hmm. Didn't hear that. Yea you're probably right and a trade with a rival would never happen most likely anyway.

3 hours ago, turningpoint said:

Loaded? Where? Other than AJ, everyone is either hurt, rookie, can only run one play, slow, or John Ross. 

I know midseason trades still aren’t the most popular thing in the NFL, but one would have to think we should at least be shopping one of Hill or McCarron, or both. It’s still very much up in the air if this team can compete at all this season. I’m not getting too caught up in our two victories.

I’d say a lot hinges on the next game: if we somehow eek out a win (which I feel

less confident about now that I saw the Stealers manhandle the Chiefs in Arrowhead) or even play them to a close loss, we might be encouraged at our prospects. If we’re blown out, consider that we might still need a mini rebuild. But, for fuck sakes, make it mini. We don’t have many of our star’s best years in front of them for much longer.

33 minutes ago, thezerawkid said:

I know midseason trades still aren’t the most popular thing in the NFL, but one would have to think we should at least be shopping one of Hill or McCarron, or both. It’s still very much up in the air if this team can compete at all this season. I’m not getting too caught up in our two victories.

I’d say a lot hinges on the next game: if we somehow eek out a win (which I feel

less confident about now that I saw the Stealers manhandle the Chiefs in Arrowhead) or even play them to a close loss, we might be encouraged at our prospects. If we’re blown out, consider that we might still need a mini rebuild. But, for fuck sakes, make it mini. We don’t have many of our star’s best years in front of them for much longer.

I agree with all you said.

Bengals simply do not make mid season trades but I think this would be a prime time to do it to, indeed, build for the future.

Mike Brown did not trade Carson Palmer until mid season because he was waiting for the right offer from a desperate team.

I think the time might be right now with teams like Green Bay, Denver, etc.

I would really like to move McCarron if a first round pick is offered... even more so if its a first plus another lower pick.

Hill is expendable and only in the way of Mixon's development.  Every time I see him get three yards, I think Mixon could have gotten six or more out of the same play.

I would lose Cody Core if anyone was stupid enough to take him.  I've seen enough of him.  We have Josh Malone on the practice squad and he could not be worse.

Yes, I would trade Minter if the price was right.  We got him for virtually nothing and I think there is enough young talent there that he would not be missed.

That said, ain't nothing going to happen.

10 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Hill is expendable and only in the way of Mixon's development.  Every time I see him get three yards, I think Mixon could have gotten six or more out of the same play.

Statistically speaking, every time you see Hill get three yards, Mixon would've got 2.5

I'm of the opinion that the only thing wrong with Hill is that he's not the new shiny thing.  I think Hill is by far the better between-the-tackles, pure power RB.  Mixon may be more "dynamic" or whatever, better hands, and I do think he can be a good back.  Maybe even a better all-around RB than Hill.  In the meantime he's usually taken down by first contact and could definitely benefit from a year of NFL-level strength training.  For now, this idea that Hill is some plodder getting in the way of Mixon taking over games simply doesn't match the facts.  Neither of them have been that remarkable, and Hill is getting more YPC.

10 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Statistically speaking, every time you see Hill get three yards, Mixon would've got 2.5

I'm of the opinion that the only thing wrong with Hill is that he's not the new shiny thing.  I think Hill is by far the better between-the-tackles, pure power RB.  Mixon may be more "dynamic" or whatever, better hands, and I do think he can be a good back.  Maybe even a better all-around RB than Hill.  In the meantime he's usually taken down by first contact and could definitely benefit from a year of NFL-level strength training.  For now, this idea that Hill is some plodder getting in the way of Mixon taking over games simply doesn't match the facts.  Neither of them have been that remarkable, and Hill is getting more YPC.

Our oline is garbage at run blocking.  The Bengals are ranked 24th in pass blocking but dead last in run blocking. Cincinnati’s running backs average 0.42 yards before contact, which is also last in the NFL. The only effective back we have is Gio taking passes out of the backfield.  No, I am not saying Hill and Mixon suck, far from it, saying its pretty much impossible to run when your oline cant even move defenders back more than 0.42 yards. 

Archived