Stealers Bengals; Good, Bad, and Ugly

11 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Call it a draw, and may we both just believe what we believe.

In all fairness, and not to stop a good Fred pile on, the problem is that it becomes very difficult to have a conversation.

Let's say you want to talk politics. And you say "Hey, that TPP thing doesn't look so good, does it?"

And your conversational partner says "It's gay shape-shifting lizard people man. They're in league with the aliens. They're building landing strips for gay martians in Thailand."

"Ummm, Ok... So do you think the bill will pass?"

"Of course man. The Bilderbergers and the Oak Grove society run the government with the help of Michael Eisenburg, Queen Latifah, and the frozen head of Ray Kroc."

"Jesus.... *Sigh* Do you think it will increase the trade deficit?"

"Gay martian-lizard hybrids dude. Look it up."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's kind of the feeling you get when you say "So, do you think we'll win this weekend?"

"If the refs want us to. They're in league with Roger Goodell and ESPN to drive up ratings by making football a sport that is obviously rigged."

"Ummm, ok, looks like Luck won't play this weekend."

"Yeah, because Indy is a small market team that doesn't generate the ratings for NBC and Fox."

"Jesus.... *Sigh* Do you think John Ross will play?"

"Roger Goodell worships Satan and the Patriots in equal measure dude. Look it up."

8 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

I fully understand that it's tough for them to get everything correct but also how easy it is to call it when you feel like it because of how much borderline holding is happening throughout an entire game.

We also spend a decade plus wondering what was really a catch, and put in instant replay... None of the points you make are invalid, but they also don't point to a league wide conspiracy to make the Patriots (?) "America's Team". Occam's razor says it's most likely a poorly written rule that is poorly enforced.

Hell, under the system some believe exists, why would the Patriots be the team elevated while the Jets and Giants suuuuuck? Patriots have been historically crap before 2000, they're a smaller market.... Why wouldn't the New York/Chicago/LA teams be the ones elevated? Bigger markets, etc...

Whatever, the league office is obviously playing 3D chess while I'm still over here playing checkers. They obviously understand why Boston, Pittsburgh, and Green Bay are their favored markets while New York and LA can go eat a bag of dicks.

3 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

We also spend a decade plus wondering what was really a catch, and put in instant replay... None of the points you make are invalid, but they also don't point to a league wide conspiracy to make the Patriots (?) "America's Team". Occam's razor says it's most likely a poorly written rule that is poorly enforced.

Hell, under the system some believe exists, why would the Patriots be the team elevated while the Jets and Giants suuuuuck? Patriots have been historically crap before 2000, they're a smaller market.... Why wouldn't the New York/Chicago/LA teams be the ones elevated? Bigger markets, etc...

Whatever, the league office is obviously playing 3D chess while I'm still over here playing checkers. They obviously understand why Boston, Pittsburgh, and Green Bay are their favored markets while New York and LA can go eat a bag of dicks.

I'm in the tooootttaalll opposite camp of the "NFL Favored Franchises" bullshit. Please don't get that mixed up here.

Of all of the rules, I just despise the holding penalty sometimes for numerous reasons as I've stated in the thread already. I'm way, WAY far from the side that believes in the grand NFL conspiracy. Just look at the bullshit in the thread already. Someone makes a comment that the NFL won't even call it on Pittsburgh (apparently the NFL favorite now?), but when I point out that Pitt has committed near the most and we've committed near the least, it's met with a goalpost move. Meh, so it goes.

With holding, it's happening a lot and it's to the point where the refs have to pick and choose when they feel like it's the most blatant to actually call it. If they're feeling froggy, they can call it on a "lesser" hold if they so choose. I'm not saying they do it because of grand conspiracy, it's just annoying to me how subjective it can be (as can many rules though to be fair).

so for now on we can refer to Goodell as the Gay martian-lizard hybrids dude?

I'm in!!!

2 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

holy shit man... only the second time I have seen that term used.. obviously had to look it up the first time.. well done

2 hours ago, USN Bengal said:

Players, teams, and coaches DO complain ALL THE TIME about officiating and preferential treatment to certain teams.

They complain about bad calls, but they never claim that certain teams get all the calls and that the league is rigged.  They complain that the refs make mistakes, not that the refs are intentionally calling for one team. 

If I am wrong then post a link.  If you prove me wrong I will gladly admit it.

There are hundreds of millions of dollars bet on the NFL.  How is it that none of these professional gamblers have figure out that the games are rigged?

And why was Tom Brady suspended over such petty bullshit and the Patriots stripped of draft picks if the NFL is trying to fix it so that the Patriots win?

Poor Gollum... doesn't have the intelligence to do the basic math of 2 + 2...

I could easily post hundreds of links to where players and coaches bitch about the calls and preferential treatment given to other teams, but no one comes out directly and and states it's fixed because they want to collect their paychecks.

What would the best cover up be in regards to NFL rigging?

Brady suspended, draft picks taken, they make the Super Bowl and come back from the biggest deficit ever to win and theoretically say "Fuck you" to the NFL?

Nothing fishy or strange about that scenario at all... Atlanta up by so many points and they lose because "all of a sudden" the Patriots remember how to play football and the Falcons forget how to?

It's only a 32 billion dollar enterprise looking to get bigger by going overseas... no need to get MORE people interested by the most improbably scenario that could ever happen.

But it damn sure did... didn't it?

Rainman... I mean Toast, I'm sorry that there is no smoking gun to give you the concrete proof you so desire on everything to keep your world intact.

There is also no concrete proof about JFK, MLK, the Clinton murder list... but we all know what really happened.

So you go right on believing that your utopia is the ONLY utopia, there is a Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy...etc.

The rest of us will live in the reality based world where we aren't ignorant enough to swallow the mindless drivel that the sheeple of the world devour so that they feel comfortable in the misery that they love so much.

41 minutes ago, USN Bengal said:

I could easily post hundreds of links to where players and coaches bitch about the calls and preferential treatment given to other teams, but no one comes out directly and and states it's fixed because they want to collect their paychecks.

But what about when they get fired because their team lost a "fixed" game?  Or what about after they retire and fans and media claim a players career was a failure because he never won a championship?  Why the hell would they keep quiet then?

What would the best cover up be in regards to NFL rigging?

Brady suspended, draft picks taken, they make the Super Bowl and come back from the biggest deficit ever to win and theoretically say "Fuck you" to the NFL?

So let me get this straight.  When the NFL does something to help the Patriots win it is proof that the league is "fixed".  But when the league does something to make the Patriots lose that is also proof that the league is fixed.

Does anyone else see any problem with that type of argument?:rolleyes:

41 minutes ago, USN Bengal said:

Poor Gollum... doesn't have the intelligence to do the basic math of 2 + 2...

It's only a 32 billion dollar enterprise looking to get bigger by going overseas... no need to get MORE people interested by the most improbably scenario that could ever happen.

There is also no concrete proof about JFK, MLK, the Clinton murder list... but we all know what really happened.

So you go right on believing that your utopia is the ONLY utopia, there is a Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy...etc.

The rest of us will live in the reality based world where we aren't ignorant enough to swallow the mindless drivel that the sheeple of the world devour so that they feel comfortable in the misery that they love so much.

Just my opinion on the matter, but...

I'm like 99% sure there's a huge gap between the difference of realizing that 2+2=4 and believing the NFL is this grand conspiracy and that the Clinton's literally have people murdered regularly. I know you used the basic math to prove a point, but I don't like the point because you're making it seem like we're all dopey for NOT getting behind a bunch of random theories with no solid facts behind them.

It's very interesting that the non-conspiracy theorists would be the one believing in Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, etc. etc. Shouldn't you guys be the ones making the claim that they're real despite all of the evidence refuting that?

1 minute ago, omgdrdoom said:

It's very interesting that the non-conspiracy theorists would be the one believing in Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, etc. etc. Shouldn't you guys be the ones making the claim that they're real despite all of the evidence refuting that?

The fact that there is no evidence they exist proves that they exist.

How can you disagree with that type of logic?

3 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

So let me get this straight.  When the NFL does something to help the Patriots win it is proof that the league is "fixed".  But when the league does something to make the Patriots lose that is also proof that the league is fixed.

Does anyone else see any problem with that type of argument?:rolleyes:

Yeah that's my biggest issue with most conspiracy theories. Everything is a false flag. Everything is evidence. No matter what you point out that refutes anything, then that just becomes evidence of the further cover up. It can lead to some crazy conversations because no matter what you say it's further proof of their conspiracy and then you're just a "sheep" for not believing some pretty batshit crazy stuff. I dunno, I don't get it myself.

2 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Yeah that's my biggest issue with most conspiracy theories. Everything is a false flag. Everything is evidence. No matter what you point out that refutes anything, then that just becomes evidence of the further cover up. It can lead to some crazy conversations because no matter what you say it's further proof of their conspiracy and then you're just a "sheep" for not believing some pretty batshit crazy stuff. I dunno, I don't get it myself.

It is just an easy way to claim you are smarter than everyone else.  It doesn't take any research or work.  Just state some wild theory and claim you are smarter than everyone else because you believe theories with zero facts to back them up.

53 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

It is just an easy way to claim you are smarter than everyone else.  It doesn't take any research or work.  Just state some wild theory and claim you are smarter than everyone else because you believe theories with zero facts to back them up.

Ha! Can you prove a negative?!? Didn't think so. Take that Mr. "I look stuff up". 

The only possible explanation for the Bengals not being in the Superbowl is a grand conspiracy. Also, Andy Dalton sucks and Marvin Lewis is the worst coach in the NFL. But they still would win every game if the refs weren't secretly rooting for the Stealers. Duh!

11 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

"Clinton murder list" clues me in to where these folks are coming from.

Let's talk about the fact that not one Sasquatch has ever played tight end in the NFL. That's the real conspiracy here.

Not true... it was a Sean Brewer disguise... too bad he also picked up smoking....

Coulda been a contender...

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

I know you used the basic math to prove a point, but I don't like the point because you're making it seem like we're all dopey for NOT getting behind a bunch of random theories with no solid facts behind them.

I strongly believe that not everyone is dopey...

15 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Ha! Can you prove a negative?!? Didn't think so. Take that Mr. "I look stuff up". 

The only possible explanation for the Bengals not being in the Superbowl is a grand conspiracy. Also, Andy Dalton sucks and Marvin Lewis is the worst coach in the NFL. But they still would win every game if the refs weren't secretly rooting for the Stealers. Duh!

I'm just wondering what's going to happen when Brady/Belichick, Ben, etc. ride off into the sunset and the Stealers and Patriots each win 4 or 5 games for a couple of years. Are we going to shift the Powers That Be to being Eagles/Saints/Raiders fans and say that this was the whole plot all along? Just like each other decade had their own teams that were consistently good, once good players regress or retire, new upcoming teams are going to start to win more. The Stealers kinda sucked in the 60's and 80's, does that mean they put the conspiracy on hold during those decades? Is it really so far fetched to believe that some teams are generally built better by better owners, coaching staffs, and some occasional good luck to boot?

I don't know, and this may be a huge conspiracy, but it seems like some NFL teams just have more competent owners than other teams.

Another thing is the whole proving a negative that drives me nuts and it's why conspiracy guys are tough to argue with. The Bengals lose because the league is out to get them. Okay, well what about when the Bengals win? They can't let them lose ALL the time, DUH! So regardless of whether the Bengals win or the Bengals lose, it still "proves" the point of the conspiracy theorist. It's like these people will only present arguments in ways where they can't be technically wrong, must be nice!

There is NO DOUBT that there are WAY more competent owners than Mike Brown... that statement should not have anyone argue with it. In all reality the only conspiracy I truly believe in is that we are all really a part of a alien generated matrix, and our bodies are used as fuel for their endeavors.

:ninja:

By the way OMG...

I alluded to this in another thread, but wanted to state it again... publicly ;

I was an ass towards you a short while ago and I was wrong. I apologize for my actions and have changed my status on this board, and am just a regular asshole poster like everyone else.

This has gotten a little out of hand, but here is my last word on the subject.

I realize that some conspiracies are true. But when I try to figure out which ones have any basis in fact I look at the results.  Unless the powers in control have some great benefit from the conspiracy I don't believe it to be true.  In this case I believe that if the NFL was going to be rigged then the largest market teams would benefit the most.  The NFL has ZERO to gain by fixing games so that relatively small market teams like the Stealers, Packers, and Seahawks win Super Bowls.  Even the Patriots market is small compared to Las Angeles, New York, Chicago, and Atlanta.  And why is it that the NFL just started fixing games for the Patriots at the exact same time that Belichick and Brady showed up?

So while I don't call every conspiracy crazy, this one just makes no sense to me.

Archived