Stealers Bengals; Good, Bad, and Ugly

You know, Lost: if you are going to mock, then do so without the elitist I-am-so-much-superior bullshit. And learn to actually appreciate an argument for what it is, without the condescension. 

Go back and look at every post I have made on the subject: I have never once said ANY GAME was fixed/rigged. On top of it being completely impossible to do, Fred is absolutely correct: it would be exposed faster than ice melting in July, as well as being impossible to regulate across the board. 

But...and this has to be the 9000th time I have stated this (and it will be the last): there is a DYNAMIC in the way certain games are officiated. I say "Favored Franchises"--and to be very clear, that doesn't necessarily mean NE, etc. Like the NBA, the league has re-formed itself into a "star-power" league. Even you, cannot deny that when a LeBron James-led Cavs plays the New Orleans Pelicans, that preferential treatment is given towards the Cavs--because LBJ is who people are paying to watch. I have seen it time and time again--put Star X against so-so team, and the shift goes towards Star X. Sure the Pelicans can win a game--but they have to play nearly flawlessly to do it. The NFL is in the same way: Star Player (or Team) X (whoever they may be at the moment) will always have the shift in their direction.

And, even more importantly, the game is diminished by an inordinate amount of rules--so many that it would be impossible to enforce every one, every play, every game, consistently. Erratic officiating and inconsistency is a natural by-product. And that is not tinfoil hat, that is simple mathematical fact. I am sure Fred can even locate a stat for this.             

As I said, this is a pointless argument: people will believe what they want to believe. And I really do not care if you do believe in the purity and absolute integrity of this league--they certainly would not be a multi-billion dollar entertainment giant without it. I choose to see it as a very flawed and disingenuous parody of what it used to be, and that choice does not make me crazy or deluded. 

In the final analysis, it truly is "to each their own". And the only real demonstration of a belief in this regard--is whether one buys the product or one doesn't. You buy what you wish to buy, and I will buy what I wish to buy. That's easy, and doesn't require--or beg for--a response. And it certainly does not merit condescension.

Done talking about it. Won't bring it up again in this forum.    

56 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

I choose to see it as a very flawed and disingenuous parody of what it used to be,

Used to be when?

We have instant replay now.  What happened to the Oilers in the AFC Championship against the Stealers would never happen today.  That catch would have been ruled a td.

I agree that stars may get the benefit of the doubt from the refs, but it is crazy to claim that it just started happening recently.  Ted Williams had a smaller strike zone than other players 70 years ago.  And the league does not pick which players get the benefit of the doubt.  Instead the players have to earn it.  Michael Jordan didn't get all those favorable calls his rookie season.

I see this as just another case of one generation claiming everything was better "back in my day".  The game today is not a "parody of what it used to be".  The problems you mentioned with officiating were just as prevalent 40 years ago when you claim the league was "pure".  The difference is that we have taken some steps to correct the mistakes that refs used to make  when giving the "benefit of the doubt" to the stars.

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Go back and look at every post I have made on the subject: I have never once said ANY GAME was fixed/rigged

Bullshit.  Here is your direct quote from the thread predicting the score of the Bengals Stealers game.

If this were a real game...I would like the odds of winning against them.   

Are you seriously trying to say that you did not claim the game was fixed for the Stealers?  If not then please explain why you really meant.  Did you used to go by the name BengalRugby.  He was the champion of repeatedly making a claim and then trying to say "I never said that." when someone called him on his bullshit.

7 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

You know, Lost: if you are going to mock, then do so without the elitist I-am-so-much-superior bullshit. And learn to actually appreciate an argument for what it is, without the condescension. 

Holy shit.  Did YOU actually just say that? 

At least Lost's stuff is clever and funny.

6 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Seriously? Project much brother?

I mean, we've only dragged the JFK conspiracy and "the Clinton Murder List" into this conversation. I didn't realize that laughing at the message board equivalent of a Weekly World News headline was elitist. 

And in my only direct reply to you, I'll stand by exactly what I said. It's frustrating to have 75% of the conversations on this board turn into "Dalton sucks" or "NFL is rigged". This is my first full season here, and I'm finding both of those conversations very boring. Especially when most of those threads end in you saying "I'm done discussing it" and moving the argument to another thread... Rinse, lather, repeat. 

The replies that weren't to you? They weren't to you. If you want to own what those posters say and defend it, that's your call.

Now, as far as "appreciating the argument for what it is" - It's childish whining. We don't win games because the league has "favored teams", and we aren't one of them. Tommy only got an A on his math test because the teacher likes him better. Waaah, they suspended Burfict and it's only his 13th flagrant violation of the player safety protocol because they like the Stealers better... Yeah, believe me, I've heard that part of the argument.  It's like every third grader I've had on my little league team acts before we teach them what good sportsmanship is.

Fred has already pointed out the flaws in both your argument and defense of it above. No need to retread that.

I can go back to every game thread this year, and it's got you calling the NFL corrupt. "Well, harumph, harumph, I didn't actually use the word "rigged"." Child please. And you have the market cornered on being condescending... I'm taking notes.

Enjoy your next 9,000 posts about a league you hate and a team you don't watch. (Actually, you keep claiming not to watch any of the games... But then know every missed holding call. Hmmmm.)

5 hours ago, T-Dub said:

So just to be clear, Mike Mitchell has never been suspended for a single game because the Clintons are "lizard people"?

I think that's more Bob Hope's doing...

http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1860871_1860876_1861029,00.html

The conspiracy theorist and New Age philosopher (David Icke), who wore only turquoise for a time and insisted on being called Son of God-Head, says these "Annunaki" (the reptiles) have controlled humankind since ancient times; they count among their number Queen Elizabeth, George W. Bush, Henry Kissinger, Bill and Hillary Clinton and Bob Hope. Encroaching on other conspiracy theorists' territory, Icke even claims that the lizards are behind secret societies like the Freemasons and the Illuminati.

Is it a coincidence that Denver started winning Super Bowls right around the time that the new airport was built? (Which Icke claims is actually a giant base for the reptilians) 

Go type NFL conspiracy into Google... The NFL is conspiring to take away Tom Brady's accomplishments and label him a cheater because... Ummm... But then  the NFL also engineered it so that the Patriots beat the Falcons. 

The NFL is conspiring against the Stealers because Jerry Jones doesn't want to let them get a 7th Lombardi.... http://bleacherreport.com/articles/315916-conspiracy-theory-the-nfl-is-trying-to-keep-the-Stealers-out

The blackout in the Ravens 49ers Super Bowl? Check. Done on purpose.

Joe Haden and Josh Gordon failed drug tests? Nope. Just the NFL keeping them down.

And my favorite: Tyler Boyd, Stealers Sleeper Agent. https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/beyondthestripes/2016/09/13/conspiracy-theory-tyler-boyd-Stealers-agent/90338174/

http://www.thedrawplay.com/comic/football-fans-the-conspiracy-theorist/

Draw-Play-The-Conspiracy-Theorist.png.8e1650e6bc0bd1f4b897e6f2d4077330.png

Like most conspiracy theories it sounds absolutely stupid at first, then part of you might go “well, I guess that was kinda perfect that it happened just that way”, then you think about it a little more and you realize that yup, it’s still stupid and the logic falls apart. But some people don’t get past that second stage. I can’t figure out why. The best guess I can muster is that most of the fans are somehow bitter about the way their team loses or something.

Every super bowl, especially after an upset, you see fans of the loser get all conspiracy theorist. This past one was a great moment. Right after it happened I saw some sketchy articles suggesting that Peyton threw the game, clearly trying to bait the sad Bronco fans. None of the articles (They come out every year on unreputable sites) ever have any sources, or quote any people. It’s just click bait to try and sway dumb people, or emotional fans of the losing team. Lots of dumb Bronco fans unwilling to accept that their team lost fair and square calling the game rigged, ignoring the fact that the Broncos had no defense, had a cupcake schedule, never changed up their offense strategy even when it wasn’t working, and Seattle just outplayed them to begin with. Seattle was the better team.

18 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

16 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Cease with the baiting, Fred. I said I was done with the subject.

Don't blame me.  I was just following your orders

18 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Go back and look at every post I have made on the subject:

9 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Er.. Yes, that's quite the impressive rant you created there while my point went whistling over your head.

What you (and several others) are engaging in here is the fallacy of "reduction to absurdity".

It is possible to accept the obvious, that Mike Mitchell is receiving preferential treatment, without also believing the Earth to be flat.

4 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Reeeeally didn't need to be reduced much. 

Hey if you want to go on believing Burfict is an Idiot Thug but Mitchell is a Tough Defender playing Old-Fashioned Stiller Footbaw that's fine by me.  Just don't try and defend that nonsense by yelling about aliens or the Illuminati or whatever. 

Just now, T-Dub said:

Hey if you want to go on believing Burfict is an Idiot Thug but Mitchell is Tough Defender playing Old-Fashioned Stiller Footbaw that's fine by me.  Just don't try and defend that nonsense by yelling about aliens or the Illuminati or whatever. 

Hey, if you want to believe that 9/11 wasn't an inside job that's fine by me. But don't try and defend that nonsense by making up extreme positions I've never voiced.

Just now, LostInDaJungle said:

Hey, if you want to believe that 9/11 wasn't an inside job that's fine by me. But don't try and defend that nonsense by making up extreme positions I've never voiced.

Ok, so why has Mike Mitchell never been suspended? He's been penalized & fined at least as many times as Burfict. What's your explanation?

3 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

I don't worry about Mike Mitchell. At all. Two wrongs don't make a right, so why bother with it.

Nice dodge.  I didn't ask you whether it kept you up at night.  You're in here ridiculing people for thinking the NFL is biased, this is a clear example of bias IMO.  It's a simple question but you're either unable or unwilling to answer it.  That says a lot more than your yelling about JFK and mole people.

6 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Nice dodge.  I didn't ask you whether it kept you up at night.  You're in here ridiculing people for thinking the NFL is biased, this is a clear example of bias IMO.  It's a simple question but you're either unable or unwilling to answer it.  That says a lot more than your yelling about JFK and mole people.

Please... So, if Mike Mitchell isn't suspended, Burfict should be allowed to punch guys in the nuts and twist ankles 'til his heart's content? I mean... That's your point?

4 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Please... So, if Mike Mitchell isn't suspended, Burfict should be allowed to punch guys in the nuts and twist ankles 'til his heart's content? I mean... That's your point?

Why has Mike Mitchell never been suspended?

Either answer the question or STFU.  

Just now, T-Dub said:

Why has Mike Mitchell never been suspended?

It's your conspiracy theory, you answer it. Go ahead an share the facts that back it up.  Again, I don't think about Mike Mitchell. At all.

Again, your point seems to be that Burfict should be allowed to nut punch guys and twist Cam Newton's ankle well after the play is dead because Mike Mitchell has never been suspended. 

turkeytap.gif

Go ahead, show me a GIF of Mike Mitchell punching a guy in the nuts during a dead ball. Maybe he has. I'll also take twisting a players ankle during a dead ball or stomping on the leg of a running back after a TD.

Just now, LostInDaJungle said:

It's your conspiracy theory, you answer it. Go ahead an share the facts that back it up.  Again, I don't think about Mike Mitchell. At all.

Again, your point seems to be that Burfict should be allowed to nut punch guys and twist Cam Newton's ankle well after the play is dead because Mike Mitchell has never been suspended. 

turkeytap.gif

Go ahead, show me a GIF of Mike Mitchell punching a guy in the nuts during a dead ball. Maybe he has. I'll also take twisting a players ankle during a dead ball or stomping on the leg of a running back after a TD.

So in lieu of an honest explanation you offer yet more smokescreen and attempts to change the subject.  I think we're done here.

Archived