shitting the bed on first down..

• so our first 3 first downs, and 5 of the first 7 first downs, we ran the ball. 
  • in our first 8 first down plays we gain a combined 9 yards. 
  • in the first 11 first down plays, we ran 7 and passed 4, of the 4 passes 3 were incompletions. so in 11 firts down plays we completed 1 pass.
  • in the 9 plays we ran the ball on first down, we gained 35 total yards. however 25 of those 35 were in 2 of the last 4 .. so late when we were down and they expected us to be passing. so the other 7 first down running plays, that 1-yard-ish gain stayed true.
  • we completed 3 total passes on first down the entire game..  all of them were to the RB.

i left off the last series as A. we were forced to pass due to the score, but also no ball was thrown so it wasnt a pass. 

we were basically garbage on first down the entire game.

Not disagreeing that we sucked on 1st down, but when I was stat searching I found something really interesting that I didn't expect whatsoever.

We average more yardage per play on 1st down than 5 of the 8 current division leaders (Eagles, Stealers, Vikings, Saints, Jaguars).

Now, obviously certain situational aspects of the games can skew the numbers a bit and stats like this will never tell the whole story, but I really didn't expect us to be ahead of many "good" teams in that category.

Archived