Marvin Lost All Control of Team?

Fuck that guy. He's done everything he can do with this team and then sat on his laurels (although having "laurels" for being the worst playoff coach in the history of the NFL seems stupid). Marvin claims his team can't finish games. No Marvin, YOU fail your team by not finishing games by controlling your coordinators and the play on the field. You're a smug, giggling prick with the local media and you've subdued them to the point where they won't even bother asking you anything other than low-hanging fruit/softball shit.

And fuck you Mike Brown, for continuing to put up with this. Resurrect this season and fire him NOW! Promote Guenther or Lazor, it can't be any worse than it is now! Instill a sense of accountabilty! Why do you keep paying Marvin millions for this shit product on the field? You, your coach and as a result, your team and product SUCK. You are the head of the snake, cut your own fucking head off and save the body from yourself.

34 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

Fuck that guy. He's done everything he can do with this team and then sat on his laurels (although having "laurels" for being the worst playoff coach in the history of the NFL seems stupid). Marvin claims his team can't finish games. No Marvin, YOU fail your team by not finishing games by controlling your coordinators and the play on the field. You're a smug, giggling prick with the local media and you've subdued them to the point where they won't even bother asking you anything other than low-hanging fruit/softball shit.

And fuck you Mike Brown, for continuing to put up with this. Resurrect this season and fire him NOW! Promote Guenther or Lazor, it can't be any worse than it is now! Instill a sense of accountabilty! Why do you keep paying Marvin millions for this shit product on the field? You, your coach and as a result, your team and product SUCK. You are the head of the snake, cut your own fucking head off and save the body from yourself.

I agree with everything you said here. 

1 hour ago, whodey? said:

I agree with everything you said here. 

I didn't read it but I agree with you both. +1

Marvin lost control of this team years ago.  He is taken for granted and tolerated at best.

No accountability for the players, no consequences and The Alfred E. Newman philosophy

of football: "What?  Me Worry?".  

14 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

It isn't that at all, Tigre, It's that we have so much talent compared to those days and it's being utterly wasted by these clowns we call coaches. It's obvious that Marvin just doesn't care. And if he doesn't, why should the players?

Yeah, we have talented players.

Its the mediocre and piss poor ones that are killing us.

Of course, with a clueless coach which does not help things.

No team is all future Pro Bowlers but a good coach and coaching staff have ways of making them not buzz killers

like Marv et al.

9 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

The days of Dave, Bruce, and Dick can't return fast enough for some folks. 

Relax Romans, next season will see your pet hate gone, and the happy times where you can just happily bitch 365 days a year, will quickly return. Great days a-comin'! 

heaven forbid some fans have higher expectations than a first round playoff loss at best..

This team can do no wrong in your eyes...Are you really Mike Brown?

1 minute ago, fluhartz said:

heaven forbid some fans have higher expectations than a first round playoff loss at best..

This team can do no wrong in your eyes...Are you really Mike Brown?

"If we fire Marvin then we're back to the 90's!!!!!!" is my favorite pro-Marv argument of all time. It's a shame seeing the logical fallacy used by those that otherwise portray a higher level of intelligence on the board.

10 minutes ago, mhfinks said:

I think the Marvin Era is over! I like Marvin but he needs to pull this team out of its ASS!

Yeah I actually like Marv too, I just think he's run his course (twice, to be honest).

How many head coaches in the NFL get 2 full roster resets to build teams without a single playoff victory? I respect that he dug us out of the dark ages, but that doesn't mean we're destined to go back to that if we go a different direction at HC.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Yeah, we have talented players.

Its the mediocre and piss poor ones that are killing us.

Seriously... How much better could any of these teams been if we weren't so happy to let guys walk. Year after year... It's Jones and Sanu one year, Whit and Zeitler another, a Reggie Nelson here and there...

If a chain is only as strong as the weakest link, we constantly have weak links.

13 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Yeah I actually like Marv too, I just think he's run his course (twice, to be honest).

How many head coaches in the NFL get 2 full roster resets to build teams without a single playoff victory? I respect that he dug us out of the dark ages, but that doesn't mean we're destined to go back to that if we go a different direction at HC.

Right. A lot of fans and the talking heads talk like if Marvin wouldn't have come along, that we would've continued the suck. If he didn't, they might've gotten Coughlin or another HC to turn it around and possibly have post season success. The pieces were in place. They would've drafted Palmer with or without Marvin. I'm not saying that he didn't do a good job turning things around, but for that to be a reason to keep re-signing him is silly.

5 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Seriously... How much better could any of these teams been if we weren't so happy to let guys walk. Year after year... It's Jones and Sanu one year, Whit and Zeitler another, a Reggie Nelson here and there...

If a chain is only as strong as the weakest link, we constantly have weak links.

With a salary cap and 51 players counting toward that, it's tough to not have some weak links. I just don't like exactly where our weak links are right now and I think it's fair to say letting Whitworth AND Zeitler walk was a huge mistake at this point.

We're currently sitting with $12M in cap space with another $17+M coming off the books once this season is over. Here's our list of upcoming free agents:

Minter

Andre

Huber

Eifert

Peerman

Sims

Hill

Bodine

McCarron

Chris Smith

We're going to have damn near $30M to spend and not much of "our own" to spend it on. Why couldn't we have given Whitworth a 2-3 year deal like he wanted? I don't want to hear any bullshit from anybody about having to re-sign Geno and Dunlap in 2 years because we have something like $50M coming off the books that year that we can easily bring them back with. Dennard may have earned himself an extension but he shouldn't break the bank with only 1 partially good season. Same with Tyler Kroft.

Where is all of this money going to go? Will we finally sign some outside FAs to improve the team? We're already past the "we don't let our good players walk!" nonsense because it's too late for our OL now. I don't mind drafting Tyler Boyd and picking up Brandon LaFell to potentially replace Jones + Sanu, I think the team did a decent job with that replacement plan even if it didn't work out exactly as planned. The OL experiment failed miserably though and now we're paying for it.

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

"If we fire Marvin then we're back to the 90's!!!!!!" is my favorite pro-Marv argument of all time. It's a shame seeing the logical fallacy used by those that otherwise portray a higher level of intelligence on the board.

If the choices are Marvin or we are back to the 90's then the only real option is to find a new team to become a fan of.   There is no reason to support a team that has the bar set at 1 inch. 

Of course the LA Rams, Jacksonville Jags and Phily Eagles are certainly regretting making those foolish coaching changes.  I mean how can you get rid of superstar Jeff Fisher and his 5 years of mediocre and bring in this new kid?   The Eagles were foolish to get rid of the genius Chip Kelly, Chip got them to the playoffs once.   The Jags have already won 4 games, what they have averaged TOTAL the last 5 seasons and have the #9 offense and #2 defense.  Should have stayed with Gus Bradley. 

I am with you OMG, too many around here are happy with mediocrity.  They have battered wife syndrome. 

2 minutes ago, SF2 said:

If the choices are Marvin or we are back to the 90's then the only real option is to find a new team to become a fan of.   There is no reason to support a team that has the bar set at 1 inch.  

Right. If there will be no playoff wins either way, does it really matter?

3 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

We're going to have damn near $30M to spend and not much of "our own" to spend it on. Why couldn't we have given Whitworth a 2-3 year deal like he wanted?

Lather, rinse, repeat...

You can go back to all of those years and say we had $20 Million to spend, 30 Million to spend, 15 Million to spend, but...

Mike Brown honestly has the audacity to think in terms of multiple super bowls when he hasn't had one. That's the whole "We'll pay Burfict up front and once the team is good... DYNASTY!" Like who wants to pay guys to be good this year when soon we'll be Super-Bowl champs with tons of cap room.... Muhahahahaha!

Meanwhile, Jones and Sanu are off having decent careers,  and we have LaFell and Tyler "doesn't get you high or nuttin'" Boyd... (We also needed to draft a WR with our #1 pick when we needed line help) The well aged Reggie Nelson is still starting in Oakland and playing better than Williams...

Look, Marvin Lewis has lost this team. I won't argue that. But as long as the Brown/Blackburn family runs the FO, the Bengals have the wrong mentality for winning in the modern NFL. They have the perfect mentality for hovering around 8-8 each year, but they're going to spend the game trying to win antes, not going all in. This is NOT a championship organization.

Any thought that the Bengals might sneak into a Super-Bowl and god forbid win one would require luck, because there is no skill in which this franchise is managed or run. Maybe we'll get lucky with Joe Mixon and he won't beat up another chick. Maybe we'll get lucky with Tyler Boyd and he'll stop driving drunk. Maybe we'll get lucky with Vontaze Burfict and he'll stop picking up 2 personal fouls a game. And so on...

Fire Marvin, don't fire Marvin... Whatever. Until the day I'm fucking Katie Blackburn and get to make the FO decisions, she'll be fucking all of you. Every Bengals fan. And she's going DEEP.

062500blackburn.jpg.b5f00e44f585e3c442206c7a07ce608a.jpg

6 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Look, Marvin Lewis has lost this team. I won't argue that. But as long as the Brown/Blackburn family runs the FO, the Bengals have the wrong mentality for winning in the modern NFL. They have the perfect mentality for hovering around 8-8 each year, but they're going to spend the game trying to win antes, not going all in. This is NOT a championship organization.

That's pretty much it man.

I think the reason I personally want to see an entire coaching overhaul is because that's the closest thing we're going to get to a "big" shake up. We know the Brown family is going nowhere and there's nothing we can do about that. It's either become a fan of a different team or pray for the biggest non-ownership change possible.

I totally get that hiring a new HC may not be the answer, but it's the biggest step we could take past finding a way to get Mike Brown to fire himself and his entire family.

Just now, omgdrdoom said:

I totally get that hiring a new HC may not be the answer, but it's the biggest step we could take past finding a way to get Mike Brown to fire himself and his entire family.

And as a long time fan.... I worry when the Bengals FO goes out to hire a coach.

People forget.... It was 2011 before Marvin had the ability to say who suited up on game day. If we promote Lazor or Gunther, are we back to those days?

It's a tough one... I think Marvin needs to go as well, but IMHO, you're putting the power back into the hands of the people most responsible for the lackluster performance. What a catch-22.

5 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

That's pretty much it man.

I think the reason I personally want to see an entire coaching overhaul is because that's the closest thing we're going to get to a "big" shake up. We know the Brown family is going nowhere and there's nothing we can do about that. It's either become a fan of a different team or pray for the biggest non-ownership change possible.

I certainly think that having better coaches in during at least  2 of those Wild Card games would have resulted in victories.  In fact, better coaches in a few of those years would have resulted in byes and homefield advantage.   We have the talent, it has been the coaching that has failed us too many times late in games. 

1 minute ago, SF2 said:

I certainly think that having better coaches in during at least  2 of those Wild Card games would have resulted in victories.  In fact, better coaches in a few of those years would have resulted in byes and homefield advantage.   We have the talent, it has been the coaching that has failed us too many times late in games. 

Think how amazing it is that we had so much talent when we suck at drafting and never sign any free agents.

Archived