Marvin Lost All Control of Team?

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

I am not comparing the Bengals to Dean Smith, Michael Joirdan, and John Elway.  I am just using them as an example to show how fans who are 100% convinced they are right are often wrong.

Believe me, the fans that claimed these guys could never win a championship were just as confident in their position as everyone here who claims it was impossible for Marvin to win a championship.  Smith was head coach at North Carolina for 20 years before he won a championship.  Elway had been in the NFL 16 years before he won a Super Bowl.

9 minutes ago, SF2 said:

And my reply was pretty easy to follow.  Jordan had WON an NBA Championship in year 7,  6 by year 15.   

Dean Smith had both gotten to the FINAL game in his first 7 years but had to face Kareem and the Bruins.    2 NCAA FINALS in 15 Years.

Elway 3 AFC Championships in first 7 years,   ELWAY had 2 rings and 5 AFC Championships by year 16.

There was massive amounts of evidence to suggest that Smith, Jordan and Elway would eventually win Championships.  

Marvin and Andy haven't even sniffed a divisional round game.  Marvin is 0-7 in WILDCARD Games.  He hasn't even come close to coming close in 15 years.   There is no evidence to suggest this team will win anything substantial while Marvin is coach.

Do you think that if Marvin finally wins 1 playoff game it changes anything?  Say we squeak in and win a wildcard game then get beaten on the road by the Patriots.  Do you actually think, after 15 years, that is an accomplishment?  Are you gonna show up here and say, "I told you so?"  Bar set sooooo low. 

no need for me to reply.. SF2 got it

12 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Same.

Marvin was never as bad as a lot of people claim.  He was handicapped by the teams refusal to sign free agents and a meddling owner.  But this will make 2 straight years that we stink.  It is time for a change.

there... we agree

9 minutes ago, SF2 said:

And my reply was pretty easy to follow.  Jordan had WON an NBA Championship in year 7,  6 by year 15.   

Dean Smith had both gotten to the FINAL game in his first 7 years but had to face Kareem and the Bruins.    2 NCAA FINALS in 15 Years.

Elway 3 AFC Championships in first 7 years,   ELWAY had 2 rings and 5 AFC Championships by year 16.

There was massive amounts of evidence to suggest that Smith, Jordan and Elway would eventually win Championships.  

Marvin and Andy haven't even sniffed a divisional round game.  Marvin is 0-7 in WILDCARD Games.  He hasn't even come close to coming close in 15 years.   There is no evidence to suggest this team will win anything substantial while Marvin is coach.

Do you think that if Marvin finally wins 1 playoff game it changes anything?  Say we squeak in and win a wildcard game then get beaten on the road by the Patriots.  Do you actually think, after 15 years, that is an accomplishment?  Are you gonna show up here and say, "I told you so?"  Bar set sooooo low. 

Here is the problem with your argument.  You give Marvin zero credit for making the playoffs so many years in a row when in fact it is hard to do.

You basically just make up the rules to support your argument.  But the fact is that a lot of fans were wrong when they made the claim "He can never do it because he has not done it yet".

I guarantee that if you had been a Tar Heels fans you would have been squealing about how it was "impossible for Dean Smith to win the big game" and you would have held up 20 years of failure to prove your point.  And you would have been shit talking the fans that defended Smith for being satisfied with coming close but never winning.

21 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Here is the problem with your argument.  You give Marvin zero credit for making the playoffs so many years in a row when in fact it is hard to do.

You basically just make up the rules to support your argument.  But the fact is that a lot of fans were wrong when they made the claim "He can never do it because he has not done it yet".

I guarantee that if you had been a Tar Heels fans you would have been squealing about how it was "impossible for Dean Smith to win the big game" and you would have held up 20 years of failure to prove your point.  And you would have been shit talking the fans that defended Smith for being satisfied with coming close but never winning.

Yes, I was there as a tarheel fan frustrated with Smith. Alas was also a frutrated Cornhusker fan for many years with Osborne. He ended up winning multiple championships.

Mathematically, each team has a 37% chance of going to the playoffs each year. Did you know the Chiefs went to the Playoffs 6 years in a row from 1990 to 1995.  They went 3-6 under Marty Shottenheimer and at least he made it to an AFC Championship.   Marvin's 5 in a row resulted in NOTHING. 

Dan Reeves lasted 12 years in Denver,..he had 3 AFC Championships and they still FIRED him  after an 8-8 season.  Hired Wade Phillips, gone after 2 poor seasons. 

Hired Shanahan,..bingo 2 Super Bowl.  Was he safe?  Hell no,  3 mediocre season and he is canned after 14 years. 

The Broncos made it to 4 straight playoff appearances with John Fox to include a Superbowl loss.  After his 4th straight playoff appearance THEY FIRED HIM because he couldn't get the job done.  Kubiak comes in and wins Superbowl next year.

Since Marvin has arrive here Denver has had 5 coaches.  Made the playoffs 8 times, played in 3 AFC Championships, won 2, won 1 Superbowl.  Marvin,..0-7.  

Lets not forget, Marvin's 5 appearances in a row came after the 4-12 season / TO OCHO show debacle which ended with our franchise QB demanding a trade.  We were a running joke in the league.  The 5 in a row started in his 9th season here, you act like he had already accomplished a lot.   The previous 8 resulted in 2 WC losses.  He should have been fired after the 4-12 joke.   

He cant close,..period.  He has had more than enough talent and time  to win 1 FUCKING playoff game.  99% of the NFL fans have no idea we made the playoffs 5 years in a row and when you tell them it, they all say the same thing:  SO WHAT.

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

Mathematically, each team has a 37% chance of going to the playoffs each year. Did you know the Chiefs went to the Playoffs 6 years in a row from 1990 to 1995.  They went 3-6 under Marty Shottenheimer and at least he made it to an AFC Championship.   Marvin's 5 in a row resulted in NOTHING. 

Dan Reeves lasted 12 years in Denver,..he had 3 AFC Championships and they still FIRED him  after an 8-8 season.  Hired Wade Phillips, gone after 2 poor seasons. 

Hired Shanahan,..bingo 2 Super Bowl.  Was he safe?  Hell no,  3 mediocre season and he is canned after 14 years. 

The Broncos made it to 4 straight playoff appearances with John Fox to include a Superbowl loss.  After his 4th straight playoff appearance THEY FIRED HIM because he couldn't get the job done.  Kubiak comes in and wins Superbowl next year.

Since Marvin has arrive here Denver has had 5 coaches.  Made the playoffs 8 times, played in 3 AFC Championships, won 2, won 1 Superbowl.  Marvin,..0-7.  

Lets not forget, Marvin's 5 appearances in a row came after the 4-12 season / TO OCHO show debacle which ended with our franchise QB demanding a trade.  We were a running joke in the league.  The 5 in a row started in his 9th season here, you act like he had already accomplished a lot.   The previous 8 resulted in 2 WC losses.  He should have been fired after the 4-12 joke.   

He cant close,..period.  He has had more than enough talent and time  to win 1 FUCKING playoff game.  99% of the NFL fans have no idea we made the playoffs 5 years in a row and when you tell them it, they all say the same thing:  SO WHAT.

Not sure what point you are trying to make here.  I can post just as many examples of teams that fired head coaches and got worse instead of better.  Are you really trying to argue that if we fire Marvin it guarantees we will get better?

If it was impossible for Marvin to win a playoff game after 2010 then why would Vegas make us a favorite in our 2013 playoff game?  And why didn't you bet everything you own against the Bengals that year?

Not sure what point you are trying to make here.  I can post just as many examples of teams that fired head coaches and got worse instead of better.  Are you really trying to argue that if we fire Marvin it guarantees we will get better?

If it was impossible for Marvin to win a playoff game after 2010 then why would Vegas make us a favorite in our 2013 playoff game?  And why didn't you bet everything you own against the Bengals that year?

You are just typing nonsense now.  Marvin has had zero playoff wins in 15 years.  NO other program in any major sport would put up with such nonsense. I never said it was impossible for Marvin to win a playoff game, I said he NO LONGER DESERVES a chance to do so, ESPECIALLY after the abortion of a Wild Card game in 2013 you were kind enough to remind us of.    

I never said there were any guarantees, I just pointed out that some owners strive to be better and some don't mind mediocrity at a low cost.  The Brown family is the latter. Marvin Lewis is still here because he doesn't suck and is cheap, period.  He has been here 15 years and gets paid less than the league average.   Only Bellicheat has coached longer but Marvin isn't even close to guys like him and hell even Jeff Fisher was making way more than Marvin.

Here is a fucking crazy idea, pay a good coach real money to come here and...COACH.   There are some great coaches out there that deserve a chance to lead an NFL team, Marvin was given his shot and its long past time for him to leave. 

Guys, Marvin just needs another 15-20 years to reach the promised land.  We really don't KNOW he can't do it.  He just needs and deserves more time since that one coach in another sport took even longer to break through. 

In all seriousness, Marvin needs to waddle the fuck out of town.  He is mediocrity personified.

6 hours ago, fredtoast said:

And it's even harder to lose them all, but Marvin and the Bengals found a way!

3 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Are you really trying to argue that if we fire Marvin it guarantees we will get better?

No, but how could it possibly be any worse? The talent to win playoff games is on the roster already.

1 hour ago, 75North said:

I had no idea Kevin Bacon was a Bengals fan.

She's actually gotten a little more attractive as she's grown older. I still wouldn't leave the lights on during sex... But she would no longer get confused for being my tranny brother when we went out to eat.

She also holds the reigns to a billion dollar sports franchise, and with a chest like hers, think of all of the money you'd save not needing an ironing board. I'm sure her dad will be impressed when I show up in my 1995 Saab 900. (non-Turbo) Between than and my Wal Mart jeans, I look like the kind of guy who will never overpay an OG. Mikey's hard-on for me will be almost as big as Katie's.

We'll both be at Kroger's one day going through the manager's specials on day old cakes when our hands will gently brush going for the same 4 pack of half-off Blueberry muffins. She'll cringe ever so slightly when I say "Katie Blackburn?" She'll be expecting me to call her a stupid c*** for not resigning Whitworth, as she should, but instead I will look her in the eye and say "Running an NFL franchise is hard, you take the muffins." This simple but rare act of kindness will have her sobbing on my shoulder, lost in the wave of emotions that can overwhelm you at times.

Regaining her composure she'll start to pull away, but as she retreats, her eyes will meet mine and she will find herself melting like DQ soft serve in their root beer colored depths. She'll look away (she's never been the kind of girl to do those things) and fumble to find her voice as she nervously squeaks, "We could always share the muffins, maybe tomorrow morning at your place?"

Of course, at this point, Troy's days of being assistant ball washer and area scout are numbered. He notices that Katie seems distant, but can never summon the courage to ask why. It's not long before the nights she's away "scouting" start to take their toll. Why does her blouse smell of Mitchum and Grey Flannel? Katie's always been an Old Spice girl... In just a few months, Troy has to move into Hue Jackson's place and Katie and I get married and I am promoted to Executive Director of Chili Sales, assistant to the assistant of Paul Alexander, and SEC scout.

With that in mind, I have penned this love poem to my future bride:

Andy is Orange

AJ is Black
Why is your chest

As flat as your back?

We aren't guaranteed to go back to the 90's if we fire Marvin, nor are we automatically Super Bowl bound if we fire Marvin.

Marvin is a good but not great coach and he's worn out his welcome here (IMO of course). I want a new coaching staff here, but I also completely understand that the new staff is just going to be cucked by Mike Brown for the next decade anyway so it probably doesn't matter if Marvin is here for an extra 10 years.

I personally would like to see some new guys come in to town, but I'm not even going to get mad anymore when Marvin is handed an extension. I'll just laugh like I did the last time. This team has done that to me, I just laugh at this shit now.

16 hours ago, SF2 said:

You are just typing nonsense now.  Marvin has had zero playoff wins in 15 years.  NO other program in any major sport would put up with such nonsense. I never said it was impossible for Marvin to win a playoff game, I said he NO LONGER DESERVES a chance to do so, ESPECIALLY after the abortion of a Wild Card game in 2013 you were kind enough to remind us of.  

14 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Guys, Marvin just needs another 15-20 years to reach the promised land.  We really don't KNOW he can't do it.  He just needs and deserves more time since that one coach in another sport took even longer to break through.

Who are you guys arguing with?

9 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

She's actually gotten a little more attractive as she's grown older. I still wouldn't leave the lights on during sex... But she would no longer get confused for being my tranny brother when we went out to eat.

She also holds the reigns to a billion dollar sports franchise, and with a chest like hers, think of all of the money you'd save not needing an ironing board.

Andy is Orange

AJ is Black
Why is your chest

As flat as your back?

People who lower themselves to personal attacks like this really need to check their priorities in life.

I fully understand calling players, coaches, and front office personnel "stupid", "lazy", "incompetent", or "cheap" but I can never understand why fans start attacking someones personal appearance.  Do you realize how childish and immature you sound for attack Katie over the size of her breasts? 

And how many times have we seen fans insult Paul Alexander for being fat, or even worse, playing the piano.  I don't know anyone over the age of 10 who thinks it is an insult to call someone a "piano player".

And what do you do when a player gets injured a few times?  Shit on him and make fun of him with insulting nicknames as if he is doing it on purpose.

Over on thebengalsboard.com their hall of fame poster, Wyche Warrior, brags more about making up insulting nicknames for the entire coaching staff than he does his knowledge of football.

So, LostInTheJungle, when are you going to post some shots from your modeling portfolio so we can see how justified you are in making fun of another persons appearance.

1 minute ago, fredtoast said:

People who lower themselves to personal attacks like this really need to check their priorities in life.

I fully understand calling players, coaches, and front office personnel "stupid", "lazy", "incompetent", or "cheap" but I can never understand why fans start attacking someones personal appearance.  Do you realize how childish and immature you sound for attack Katie over the size of her breasts? 

And how many times have we seen fans insult Paul Alexander for being fat, or even worse, playing the piano.  I don't know anyone over the age of 10 who thinks it is an insult to call someone a "piano player".

And what do you do when a player gets injured a few times?  Shit on him and make fun of him with insulting nicknames as if he is doing it on purpose.

Over on thebengalsboard.com their hall of fame poster, Wyche Warrior, brags more about making up insulting nicknames for the entire coaching staff than he does his knowledge of football.

LOL. I bet you're just a ton of fun at parties.

13 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

LOL. I bet you're just a ton of fun at parties.

Believe it or not it is possible for adults to have a lot of fun and still not approve of men making fun of a woman's small breasts or shitting on players for getting injured.

But I'll bet you are a ton of fun at the middle school playground.

Just now, fredtoast said:

Believe it or not it is possible for adults to have a lot of fun and still not approve of men making fun of a woman's small breasts or shitting on players for getting injured.

Awww, does someone need a hug?

6 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Dude you fuck with people so much and you're going to be the spokesman for people to not use a nickname for Tyler Eifert when he gets hurt sometimes?

For real?

I've seen you say some CRAZY shit to people over the past 10 years, I don't want to get into all of that, but you know who I am from the old boards and you know I've seen some shit haha but calling players names like "Mr. Glass" is where you're going to draw the line?...........Really? Seriously?

2 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Dude you fuck with people so much and you're going to be the spokesman for people to not use a nickname for Tyler Eifert when he gets hurt sometimes?

For real?

I disagree with people's opinions or statements.  Sometimes those discussions get heated, but I don't take everything personal and insult the way people look or what hobbies they enjoy.

Giving Paul Alexander shit over the failure of Ogbuehi and Fisher is okay.  Calling him "Fat Fuck Piano Man" is childish.  And making fun of a player for getting injured is ridiculous.

Criticizing Katie's front office moves is okay.  Making fun of her small breasts is childish.

Telling another poster he is ignorant about football is okay.  Making fun of his mullet and small dick is childish.

19 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

For real?

I've seen you say some CRAZY shit to people over the past 10 years, I don't want to get into all of that, but you know who I am from the old boards and you know I've seen some shit haha but calling players names like "Mr. Glass" is where you're going to draw the line?...........Really? Seriously?

You are, of course, absolutely right.

Speaking for myself, I'm here because I like the conversation, back-and-forth banter and just the horsepuckying around.  I am OK with anyone's OPINIONS and insights even if I see it differently.  Including you and Marlon, btw, who I seem to have rubbed the wrong way.

The fucking stealth trolling, or whatever you want to call it, is absolutely killing the board.  I mean, its every single thread and even the long time posters are getting tired of it.  How many have left either the team or board, even.

I'm just here to have fun.

Shit gets old, dude.  Shit gets old.

5 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

I disagree with people's opinions or statements.  Sometimes those discussions get heated, but I don't take everything personal and insult the way people look or what hobbies they enjoy.

Giving Paul Alexander shit over the failure of Ogbuehi and Fisher is okay.  Calling him "Fat Fuck Piano Man" is childish.  And making fun of a player for getting injured is ridiculous.

Criticizing Katie's front office moves is okay.  Making fun of her small breasts is childish.

Telling another poster he is ignorant about football is okay.  Making fun of his mullet and small dick is childish.

I don't know. I tend to think that implying (or flat out saying) that the average Joe on the boards is dumb is actually a lot worse than calling a millionaire coach "fat" that will never come close to reading this message board. I guess I always justify saying stuff like "Ben Rapistburger is a fat fuck" by how I know I would react if I were in his position in life. I'd reply to people talking shit on Twitter with a video of me laughing while I lit a bag of hundred dollar bills on fire.

I guess I feel less bad for pro athletes and coaches than I do the regular dudes that post here, and hell I'm not trying to pretend that I'm nice to everyone around here either because I know I'm not. I think people would consider me clinically insane if I started flipping out about people calling Paul Alexander "fat" with how abrasive I can be to other totally average people, and I think we're kinda in the same boat when it comes to that.

I'd never insult somebody on the boards' looks, but I don't see it as a big deal when it comes to the sports "celebrities". I can understand how that could seem hypocritical but I don't think it really is if you look at the differences that I've laid out above.

57 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

So, LostInTheJungle, when are you going to post some shots from your modeling portfolio so we can see how justified you are in making fun of another persons appearance.

Jesus guy, lighten dafuq up.

11 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

You are, of course, absolutely right.

Speaking for myself, I'm here because I like the conversation, back-and-forth banter and just the horsepuckying around.  I am OK with anyone's OPINIONS and insights even if I see it differently.  Including you and Marlon, btw, who I seem to have rubbed the wrong way.

The fucking stealth trolling, or whatever you want to call it, is absolutely killing the board.  I mean, its every single thread and even the long time posters are getting tired of it.  How many have left either the team or board, even.

I'm just here to have fun.

Shit gets old, dude.  Shit gets old.

I'm a pretty long winded person most of the time, so whether it's regular football shit or when it goes off the rails, your popcorn shit triggers me sometimes for whatever reason. No biggie though, you're alright in my book.

The one thing I think everyone has to give credit to Fred for is that he sparks discussion. Whether it's good, bad, on topic, off topic, or what some people will consider "trolling", he still gets conversation going on an otherwise pretty low traffic message board.

41 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

but calling players names like "Mr. Glass" is where you're going to draw the line?...........Really? Seriously?

6 minutes ago, 75North said:

Jesus guy, lighten dafuq up.

Okay, first of all I do need to lighten up.  It has always bothered me a bit to see fans mock players for getting injured or think it is an insult to mention that a guy plays the piano.  But I never let it upset me enough to start posting about it.

But there is something about mocking a woman over the size of her breasts that crossed the line for me.  I have two daughters and the cruelty of men who attack women over their appearance disgusts me.  If every guy had to wear clothes that showed exactly how big his dick was I think they would be a little more sensitive to the plight of women.  It is just a very childish and mean thing to do. 

Archived