Mixon unhappy with lack of carries

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000865969/article/joe-mixon-unhappy-with-lack-of-carries-in-bengals-loss

The Cincinnati Bengals' offense earned 19 total yards in the second half of Sunday's 29-14 loss to the Pittsburgh Stealers. Running back Joe Mixon has an idea about how the Bengals' offense could have gotten on track: Give him the ball.

"It's frustrating. I feel like I'm seeing [Le'Veon Bell] got the ball 35 times, and I got it seven in the first half and then don't touch the ball again," Mixon said, via Katherine Terrell of ESPN. "[Jeremy] Hill only got one touch in the second half. It's frustrating to us running backs. We feel like we're in the room and we feel like we're part of the offense. If it worked in the first half, why not do it in the second?"

Mixon had two catches in the second half, but zero rushes after going for 48 yards on his seven first-half totes. Jeremy Hill had just one second-half carry. Giovani Bernard took two totes. Meanwhile, Andy Dalton dropped back 17 times in the final two frames.

Coach Marvin Lewis curtly responded when asked about Mixon.

"He was there in the third quarter," Lewis said. "Whatever plays are called are called."

Mixon played 22 plays, seven of which came in the second half, per Next Gen Stats. Bernard saw 23 snaps, while Hill played a total of 15.

Game script played a part in the lack of running game. When the Bengals got down double digits, they abandoned the ground attack. While Cincy's offense had been better since offensive coordinator Bill Lazor took over, they looked lost Sunday versus Pittsburgh's smothering defense. A.J. Green was similarly shut down, earning just three catches for 41 yards. He didn't have a reception after the first quarter.

Mixon pointed to Le'Veon Bell for Pittsburgh, who had 35 carries and three receptions, as the type of load the rookie thinks he can handle.

"Me personally, I feel like I can do way more than [Bell] did. Like I said, I only had seven carries. I can't showcase nothing if I don't get the ball. There's nothing else I can say," Mixon said.

We'll pump the breaks on Mixon getting a Lev Bell-type of workload, but it should be clear by now the rookie is the Bengals' best back. He's shifty in space, has great vision, and hits the hole. His ability to make people miss and fall forward is advantageous behind a struggling offensive line. Mixon, however, needs to work on his pass protection if he wants to play more snaps (and by relation get more touches).

It's fair to wonder if it's time for Lewis to thin out his running back rotation by trading Jeremy Hill, similar to what the New Orleans Saints did with Adrian Peterson. Paring down the rotation will allow the team's best back to be on the field more, and provide some consistency for an up-and-down offense.

You & me both, Joe.   If missing a block was grounds for sitting on the bench we wouldn't have an OL on the field.

Coach Marvin Lewis curtly responded when asked about Mixon.

"He was there in the third quarter," Lewis said. "Whatever plays are called are called."

Brilliant!  Whatever games are lost are lost.

11 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

You & me both, Joe.   If missing a block was grounds for sitting on the bench we wouldn't have an OL on the field.

Yeah he needs to pick that up though. Even if Fisher whiffed the opportunity for Mixon to block him was there. I don't see why he can't get some carries though even if they feel he needs to work on his blocking and blitz pickups.

Bell averaged less than 4YPC (3.8?) for the game. He had THIRTY FIVE carries to get his yards. That's because THEY CONTINUED TO GIVE HIM THE BALL! The law of averages dictates that he'll break a few long ones here and there, and he did. Mixon would have had just as many yards on fewer carries if he'd seen the ball several times in the second half. Fuck, we were only down by double digits going into the fourth quarter! We held them to FG's the whole second half (credit to the defense) and we scored...nothing, and Mixon carried the ball...ZERO times. 

There's really no excuse for that. IDGAF if he's a rookie! Ride that stud!

5 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Yeah he needs to pick that up though. Even if Fisher whiffed the opportunity for Mixon to block him was there. I don't see why he can't get some carries though even if they feel he needs to work on his blocking and blitz pickups.

No question he needs to get better in pass pro, and most other areas for that matter.  He's a rookie.  He's not going to get better at it riding the pine.

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

No question he needs to get better in pass pro, and most other areas for that matter.  He's a rookie.  He's not going to get better at it riding the pine.

Exactly, I totally agree with that. 

He's clearly our most talented back. Gotta get him the ball more often. I don't care if it comes at the expense of the other guys. Hill is barely even mediocre with his style of running behind a bad line.

Just now, omgdrdoom said:

Exactly, I totally agree with that. 

He's clearly our most talented back. Gotta get him the ball more often. I don't care if it comes at the expense of the other guys. Hill is barely even mediocre with his style of running behind a bad line.

Yeah after yesterday's performance I have to admit you're right. I still think Hill could be a beast on a good power-running team, but the '17 Bengals definitely ain't that.

What is really frustrating is that Jacksonville gave us the blueprint on how to beat Pittsburgh two weeks earlier.

Run your power RB 30 times until you break their will.

Jacksonville did not throw the ball once in the 4th quarter. Not once!!

Play aggressive defense with relentless pressure and let your DB and LBs make plays.

7 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

What is really frustrating is that Jacksonville gave us the blueprint on how to beat Pittsburgh two weeks earlier.

Run your power RB 30 times until you break their will.

Jacksonville did not throw the ball once in the 4th quarter. Not once!!

Play aggressive defense with relentless pressure and let your DB and LBs make plays.

Jacksonville's line is also much better than ours when it comes to run blocking.

1 minute ago, SmoothD said:

Actually, the offensive line, at one time, was considered the weakest link on their team.

Ok?

This year, the Jacksonville Jaguars run blocking has been a lot better than ours. We're talking about strategy for this year, right? We can't just do exactly what the Jags did to Pittsburgh because we don't have the personnel to do so.

3 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Ok?

This year, the Jacksonville Jaguars run blocking has been a lot better than ours. We're talking about strategy for this year, right? We can't just do exactly what the Jags did to Pittsburgh because we don't have the personnel to do so.

Agreed. Wishful thinking :2:

Just now, SmoothD said:

Agreed. Wishful thinking :2:

Yeah I mean I think it was dumb to shut Mixon down as far as carries go in the 2nd half, I just don't think we could have destroyed them on the ground like JAX did. Our 2nd half chances would have been better with Mixon getting carries IMO, I will definitely agree with that much.

1 hour ago, SmoothD said:

Actually, the offensive line, at one time, was considered the weakest link on their team.

WTF are you talking about?  Jacksonville has the #1 rushing offense in the league and have only allowed 11 sacks in 7 games.

"“You should show maturity just like everybody else,” Lewis said, via the team’s website. “Everybody wants to be out there all the time. But we’re not going to create a run when we are down by 12 or 15. We’re not going to create it. I saw a ball go on the ground when he received two balls thrown to him, which are the same situation. We got to handle it all the time the correct way, and be strong enough to not be led into questions after the game, which unfortunately he doesn’t know enough about.”

3 hours ago, fredtoast said:

WTF are you talking about?  Jacksonville has the #1 rushing offense in the league and have only allowed 11 sacks in 7 games.

Not now.

At one time, especially coming into this season. 

We all know that's not the case anymore.

Credit goes to Coughlin and Marrone for fixing their weakest link during the off season

7 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

It would be nice if he was pissed about losing the game, not the number of carries he was getting.

I think he was pissed about the lack of second half carries being a major contributing factor in the loss. I'm inclined to completely agree with him. I don't think it was about stats and I for one am glad that he called out Marvin, albeit indirectly. I mean, what's the best way to take pressure off your QB and open up the passing game? Run the fucking ball! And we were successful at it in the first half and there was NO reason to stop doing it. None.

6 hours ago, fredtoast said:

True, but they also have a beastly rookie running back who carries the ball a lot because their QB is mediocre. Oh wait....

:mellow:

6 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

"“You should show maturity just like everybody else,” Lewis said, via the team’s website. “Everybody wants to be out there all the time. But we’re not going to create a run when we are down by 12 or 15. We’re not going to create it. I saw a ball go on the ground when he received two balls thrown to him, which are the same situation. We got to handle it all the time the correct way, and be strong enough to not be led into questions after the game, which unfortunately he doesn’t know enough about.”

This is the stupidest shit ever, Typical Marvin-speak. "Create a run when we're down by 12 or 15"? How about at the beginning of the first quarter when we're only down 6, you fucking dumbass?

Sorry, Marvin is just mad that a rookie called him out on his bullshit and he's embarrassed. 

11 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

This is the stupidest shit ever, Typical Marvin-speak. "Create a run when we're down by 12 or 15"? How about at the beginning of the first quarter when we're only down 6, you fucking dumbass?

Sorry, Marvin is just mad that a rookie called him out on his bullshit and he's embarrassed. 

For the record, NFL game log has us down by only one score until around 6 minutes remaining in the 3rd quarter.  We didn't go behind by 12 until the very end of the 3rd. 

Just now, T-Dub said:

At least now I know who is making the decision to abandon the run if they go down by more than 7.  

I seriously wonder who decided that was a good idea, or whom vetoed the plan to continue running the football. I'd like to believe Lazor wasn't in full on panic mode down only six points starting the second half while receiving the ball.

It's beginning to feel like Marvin has petty vendettas against players that don't toe the line or something. One wonders.

Archived