Has PFF changed the way it grades individual players?  Those numbers don't look like the ones I am used to seeing.

PFF keps track of some interesting statistics, but they way they rated individual players was kind of a joke.

*EDIT* this post was not meant to discredit WJ3

24 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

DM_PEfrVQAAaOeJ.thumb.jpg.ea1a8e316be1479bf0d6c784551883a5.jpg

In his first real action, WJ3 was the league's second best CB last week. We look forward to him leaving for Houston while we resign Darqueeze Dennard.

Not into the "Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics" stuff but I like WJIII.

Fine young cornerback who is only going to get better.

11 minutes ago, Hooky said:

One out of the last three first rounders isn't bad.

Funny how people who claim WJ3 was a good pick are already writing off Ross after six games.

Remind me again what WJ3 had done six games into his career.

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

Funny how people who claim WJ3 was a good pick are already writing off Ross after six games.

Remind me again what WJ3 had done six games into his career.

This was the first 6 games in WJ3's career on the active roster. Same as Ross.

59 minutes ago, Hooky said:

That's really the best you can do?

Okay, how about this.

Based on your logic Ross would not be a bad pick if he had never made the active roster, but since he did he is a bad pick.

We can dance around like this all day if you want, but basically what I said in the first place is my main point.  It is ridiculous to claim WJ3 was a good pick and at the same time claim Ross was not.  The reason is that it is way to early to judge Ross.

4 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Has PFF changed the way it grades individual players?  Those numbers don't look like the ones I am used to seeing.

Does anyone know the answer to this question?

Also, who the fuck is Briean Boddy-Calhoun?  His parents should be beaten for giving him a first name like that.  Is it just a messed up way of spelling Brian?

3 hours ago, HOF dan said:

Arguments aside, I thought he looked really good last Sunday as well. You can almost watch him progress from week to week. It's pretty encouraging to see as well as knowing we took him before the Stealers.

Yeah, he was reported as being their guy in the draft.

WJIII has been awesome against the Packers and Stealers, but not so great against the Browns and Bills. He's up and down, but the highs are certainly very high, and higher than any corner we've had since Leon Hall. I think his play will probably lead us to decline the option on Adam Jones' 3rd year.

I think Kirkpatrick has been struggling a bit this year. His tackling is normally awful, but it seems even worse this year. I wonder how much his injury is factoring in. He's Tory James v2. Not 3rd and Tory, but earlier career Tory who was physical in coverage and could jam receivers at the line really well.

Dennard, on the other hand has looked really good, which is great to see because he sucked last year. His tackling is really solid too. If he can stay healthy and keep this up, he's a bargain for $8 million next year on his 5th year option.

6 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Does anyone know the answer to this question?

Also, who the fuck is Briean Boddy-Calhoun?  His parents should be beaten for giving him a first name like that.  Is it just a messed up way of spelling Brian?

Changed since when, and what grades are you used to seeing?

If I ask you if Skyline has changed their recipe, it helps to know if I mean since 1990 or last week.

The other reason I didn't answer is that googling "PFF grading system" gives you this page: https://www.profootballfocus.com/pff-player-grades  With no offense, I would have thought if the question was anything more than rhetorical, you'd have looked it up.

8 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Changed since when, and what grades are you used to seeing?

If I ask you if Skyline has changed their recipe, it helps to know if I mean since 1990 or last week.

The other reason I didn't answer is that googling "PFF grading system" gives you this page: https://www.profootballfocus.com/pff-player-grades  With no offense, I would have thought if the question was anything more than rhetorical, you'd have looked it up.

It wasn't lon ago PFF had a +/- grading system and a typical score would be +3.5.

10 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

With no offense, I would have thought if the question was anything more than rhetorical, you'd have looked it up.

A lot of their information used to be proprietary.  You could not access it unless you paid a fee.

10 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

With no offense, I would have thought if the question was anything more than rhetorical, you'd have looked it up.

A lot of their information used to be proprietary.  You could not access it unless you paid a fee.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

It wasn't lon ago PFF had a +/- grading system and a typical score would be +3.5.

They still do, they just normalize that as a percentage. They've always had both stats. I think with Collinsworth running the show they're just trying to put out information that the average fan will get when they do these graphics.

6 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

No sweat brother, that honestly was a compliment. With my limited exposure to the board, you just strike me as a guy who knows how to find out what he wants to know. I had faith in your competency.

10 hours ago, SlantNGo said:

WJIII has been awesome against the Packers and Stealers, but not so great against the Browns and Bills. 

Against the Browns WJIII played 70% of D snaps and gave up 3 catches for 51 yards.

Against the Bills WJIII played 91% of D snaps and gave up a single catch for 9 yards.

Not sure why you didn't like his performance against the Bills, any specific reason? Just curious more than anything why you'd mention that game as one of the "not great" ones.

Now just talking about WJIII in general, the dude has an absurd "Success Rate" on the season. FBO defines this as "Percentage of plays where this cornerback was in coverage that did not meet our baseline for offensive success (45 percent of yardage on first down, 60 percent on second down, or 100 percent on third down)." His 74% success rate is 2nd in the league among dudes that actually see the field.

Only negative on the kid so far is 4 DPI against him. Both he and Dre could work on wrapping guys up a bit better too, they could learn something from watching Dennard tackle as he's been our most consistent tackler in the entire secondary this year.

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

Against the Browns WJIII played 70% of D snaps and gave up 3 catches for 51 yards.

Against the Bills WJIII played 91% of D snaps and gave up a single catch for 9 yards.

Not sure why you didn't like his performance against the Bills, any specific reason? Just curious more than anything why you'd mention that game as one of the "not great" ones.

Now just talking about WJIII in general, the dude has an absurd "Success Rate" on the season. FBO defines this as "Percentage of plays where this cornerback was in coverage that did not meet our baseline for offensive success (45 percent of yardage on first down, 60 percent on second down, or 100 percent on third down)." His 74% success rate is 2nd in the league among dudes that actually see the field.

Only negative on the kid so far is 4 DPI against him. Both he and Dre could work on wrapping guys up a bit better too, they could learn something from watching Dennard tackle as he's been our most consistent tackler in the entire secondary this year.

He was beaten badly a few times in the Bills game and committed PIs to save touchdowns. It's good that he's committing the PI to save the TD, but it would be better if he could avoid getting beaten so badly to begin with.

I think the PIs are something we coach. Adam Jones and Dre both commit a lot of PIs in situations where they're badly beaten with no safety help. FBO and PFF are polar opposites on Dre. His FBO charting stats are awesome, but PFF rates him as a terrible corner (mostly due to his tackling I think).

Again, I think WJIII has the highest potential of any corner we've draft since Leon Hall. He's probably outplaying both Adam Jones and Dre so far this year, and I'm happy to see him getting lots of snaps.

6 minutes ago, SlantNGo said:

FBO and PFF are polar opposites on Dre. His FBO charting stats are awesome, but PFF rates him as a terrible corner (mostly due to his tackling I think).

In 2015 Dre played 98% of the snaps on a defense ranked #5 against the pass (efficiency rating) and he ranked in the top 30 CBs in most objective stats (completion percentage allowed, success rate, yards allowed per target), yet PFF had him ranked as the 112th CB behind a bunch of scrubs who barely even played. 

He was the perfect example of how screwed up PFFs individual player rankings can be.

Archived