Fix this team with one draft pick and one free agent in 2018

Assume Eifert and Hill are gone in free agency.  If you want Bodine gone then you can include him also, but I think we will re-sign him.

You get to add one free agent from another team and our first round draft pick to fix the team in 2018.

If you don't know what specific players will be available next year then just talk about positions.

Lets not get into coaching or the Bengals refusal to sign big name free agents.  The Bengals will never sign the highest paid player at any position, but they have signed guys like Odom who were top 4 or 5 at their position.

Right now I'd use them both on the O-line.  In fact I'd use them both on OTs.  Probably use our first round pick on a LT and sign RT in free agency simply because they are cheaper.

Our defense is far from perfect at every position, but overall we are so solid on that side of the ball that I would concentrate all of our resources on the offense. 

TE would be my second choice, but I have some faith in Kroft.  He is not as good as Eifert, but we just have much bigger needs on the O-line.  Hopefully one of our young WRs will step up.  We still have a need there. 

LOL, I think it's simple and we'll all agree to it, it will just come down to who we argue is better...

The best O-lineman in the draft and the best O-lineman available in FA, most likely a RT and a LT.

So I'll say Nate Solder and Mcglinchey

I'd flat out just cut CedO and Fisher, they'll just take up valuable roster spots.

43 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

LOL, I think it's simple and we'll all agree to it, it will just come down to who we argue is better...

The best O-lineman in the draft and the best O-lineman available in FA, most likely a RT and a LT.

So I'll say Nate Solder and Mcglinchey

I'd flat out just cut CedO and Fisher, they'll just take up valuable roster spots.

Wow! I honestly didn't see your post.

36 minutes ago, mhfinks said:

2018 DRAFT

1. OL

2. OL

3. OL

4. TE

5. OL

6. OL

7. TE

Get the picture

If the TE from PSU (drawing a blank on his name right now) is still on the board when we pick in 2 I'd think long and hard about him there.

I think we all agree that it's McGlinchey (Or Best LT available in the draft) and best C. 

So with that said why aren't we trying to fix that now. Why aren't we changing up the horrible line. Play Boling at C. Boling at RG. Boling at RT. Ogbuehi at LG. Johnson at C. Play Westerman and Dielman. Try Fisher at LG or C. 

Sticking with this line to the point where your QB is throwing the ball out of bounds on 4th down in frustration makes zero sense. We are at rock bottom. Try to fix it now. The line doesn't have to be perfect to be better. 

31 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

I think we all agree that it's McGlinchey (Or Best LT available in the draft) and best C. 

So with that said why aren't we trying to fix that now. Why aren't we changing up the horrible line.

Because that would be admitting the line is horrible and they don't know WTF they're doing.  Kind of hard to claim you're "seeing improvement" when you're just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.

8 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

So with that said why aren't we trying to fix that now. Why aren't we changing up the horrible line. Play Boling at C. Boling at RG. Boling at RT. Ogbuehi at LG. Johnson at C. Play Westerman and Dielman. Try Fisher at LG or C. 

Sticking with this line to the point where your QB is throwing the ball out of bounds on 4th down in frustration makes zero sense. We are at rock bottom. Try to fix it now. The line doesn't have to be perfect to be better. 

Moving Ced inside is a bad idea.

MikeandKatie and Returning HC Marvin's 2018 Draft

1. WR ... blazing fast and fragile, goes on PUP list after contracting the Vietnamese Black Syph at a massage parlor in Oakley 

2. OL ... has a sex change before training camp and still beats out Ogbuhei and marries Jethro Bodine

3. QB ... from Brigham Young, prototype size, great arm, touch and accuracy, quick release but refuses to work on Sunday

4. TE ... murders his mother shortly after signing his contract claiming issues with self esteem

4A. K ... can't beat out Fat Randy, put on practice squad, signed by Cleveland for their Super Bowl season

5. WR ... good size and speed, shifty, gets good separation and can't catch his nutsack in his jockstrap

6. LB ... Samoan, has molested more teen age girls than Harvey Weinstein, has large tattoo of manta ray on his back

7. CB ... great speed and ability to cover closely, hits like a feather pillow

Marvin declares the draft a tremendous success and continues to see improvement every week.  "Where we are right now is where we're at.  I see great potential in this group and do not see any reason why they will not get the team over the hump and win five games this season."

This o-line stinks and I doubt if anyone other than Boling would start for another team.  I think it's going to take at least a couple years to find and groom new starters in a bunch of spots.  Given possible changes in the coaching staff and the fact that the Bengals will not over pay in free agency, I would say it is overly optimistic to say one rookie and one free agent can fix this problem.  It wasn't broken overnight and it isn't going to be fixed overnight.

8 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

This o-line stinks and I doubt if anyone other than Boling would start for another team.  I think it's going to take at least a couple years to find and groom new starters in a bunch of spots.  Given possible changes in the coaching staff and the fact that the Bengals will not over pay in free agency, I would say it is overly optimistic to say one rookie and one free agent can fix this problem.  It wasn't broken overnight and it isn't going to be fixed overnight.

yeah........that's the concerning aspect - how long to fix this thing? It's going to force our draft into "by need" rather than "best available" which isn't good.

Draft - Take the best OT available in round 1 and hope he's a natural on the left side. That's about it unless you sign Solder in free agency, then grab RT/C/RG in that priority order, BPA of those positions.

Free agency - this is where it gets tough. Nate Solder is having a rough year (but still an upgrade) and he's one of the very few talented linemen that are potentially hitting FA in 2018. Not many options @ tackle in the 2018 FA class and some team is probably going to way overpay Solder. I guess he would be my #1 or 2 target though just because of how bad Ogbuehi is at playing football. A declined Solder is still much better than Og.

Another option to explore could be someone like Ryan Jensen (my personal favorite lineman hitting FA). He can play both guard spots and center (starting C this year in BAL) and he's playing very well. He's currently rated the #3 C in the league by PFF. I know, I know, it's PFF, but they don't rank guys near the top that are scrubs. I can't see Baltimore not just re-signing him, but if he's available then I do everything in my power to sign the guy. Jensen + rookie R1 LT could drastically transform our OL alone.

Josh Kline was a UDFA signed by New England a few years back and is now starting on the Titans line and playing very well himself this season. He's gotten his starts at RG and looks good, and RG happens to be a spot we could use some help at.

This is a terrible offseason for the Bengals to need desperate help at OT. The only tackles even set to hit free agency are guys like Chris Clark who has been an Ogbuehi level dumpster fire when he's played and anyone good has been extended already by their respective team (Morgan Moses) or have had their 5th year option picked up (Ja'Wuan James).

A guy like Dontari Poe would be cool but with Dunlap and Atkins needing re-signed soon and contracts like Lawson needing to be signed in a few years (don't act like the Bengals won't be thinking about this already), I'm not sure they'd dump the resources into Poe that would be necessary. Definitely a lot of decent to good DL, CB, and S on the 2018 market but I don't think those are huge needs compared to OL. I'd at least take a look at the available safeties but if we're only spending on 1 good player I'd look on the other side of the ball.

People say that the line can't be transformed overnight but if you get serious about the OL we could go from what we have now to Solder/Boling/Jensen/Kline/Rookie if Mike decides to break his piggybank. I know that it's tough to just go sign whoever you want since there are 31 other teams in the league and some have similar needs, but get 2 of those deals done + 1 rookie that can play average football and you go from having a shit OL to a (likely) good one.

We can fix it sooner

A guy to be looking at in the offseason who will be a Free Agent is Chris Hubbard. He is a backup OL for the Stealers but has been starting at RT with Marcus Gilbert out. They are not going to be able to pay him and we can offer him a starters role. Steeler nation has done some nice writeups about him. 

You sign him and then Draft McGlinchey and we are a center away from a decent line. 

http://www.Stealersdepot.com/2017/10...berts-problem/
http://www.Stealersdepot.com/2017/10...obility-table/

As far as a trade now the Bills need RB and WR depth.  Maybe Seantrell Henderson. He is a FA after this year though.

Archived