Official Colts Bengals game thread

13 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

Ever since Evan Mathis I'll never trust Alexander's judgement again.

Alexander started Mathis over Livings in '09 until he got injured, but in '10 Mathis did not deserve to play.  Every team in the league saw his '10 film and agreed with Alexander.  That is why Mathis had to settle for a league minimum contract in free agency.

2 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Alexander started Mathis over Livings in '09 until he got injured, but in '10 Mathis did not deserve to play.  Every team in the league saw his '10 film and agreed with Alexander.  That is why Mathis had to settle for a league minimum contract in free agency.

It should also be noted that we have an Offensive Line consultant that many of the older crew know. 

Jim McNally has an impressive resume. 

The following is from Wikipedia; 

As coach:

42 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Every time Mathis got in he outplayed Livings.  You might argue Mathis wasn't great, but he was better than Livings, who was a human turnstile - hence Alexander's judgement issues.  I'm not basing it on Mathis' future refocus to fitness, strength and professionalism - that had nothing to do with the Bengals or Alexander, other than perhaps his taking being benched as a motivator.

Here is a tongue-in-cheek question I asked Mathis in the AMA he posted to Reddit five years ago.  See his implied response to a question-in-reply, regarding Alexander's assessment abilities (while at the same time giving him high marks as a technical coach).  Granted he wouldn't be inclined to give Alexander high marks on assessment since he was, after all, benched:

Ok, this site has some sort of plugin for reddit quotes.  Here is the question and response from Mathis:

Question:

Yeah, exactly.

Sub-question: Please rate Paul Alexander's coaching/assessment abilities on a scale of 1 to 10.

[–]EvanMathisThrowaway[S] 6 points 5 years ago 

Paul Alexander's coaching ability = 9 :)

47 minutes ago, membengal said:

Marvin is still hazing Ross.

Marvin is a douche, an idiot and needed to be fired long ago, or after the Steelers game, or after allowing the second worst team in football to make a game out of what should have been a blowout. The list goes on. Keep shoveling! Keep chopping wood! Yay!

5 hours ago, rcarpenter62 said:

I think Fisher may be worse... & Bodine might be too.

Maybe...but they can find a RT or C on the waiver wire - Sugar Tits could probably be a bridge at RT.  LT's are much more crucial and much harder to come by.  Plus, CO has already shown he's not and RT & now we're sure he's not an LT.  The Bengals need to bring in someone to challenge at every spot.  Boling maybe be fairly secure, but everyone else gets a serious push.  The best OLineman (RT maybe?) they can find in FA, a 1st round LT if one is there, a 3rd Rd. C/G and a later Rd. pick &/or a solid journeyman utility guy. 

I don't stop there either.  I always heard people say, "If (such and such) doesn't happen, I'm through with this team," an I always just shake my head, "yeah, right."  Well, I'm and original Bengals Fan.  Been here through Greg Cook, Virgil Carter, Ken Anderson, the Super Bowls & the Dark Ages - thick & thin.  Never once waivered.  But I'll swear here & now, if Marvin Lewis &/or Paul Alexander are still on the Bengal sidelines when camp opens I'm finished (or at the very least gone until they are).

4 hours ago, Numbers said:

Jim McNally has an impressive resume. 

The following is from Wikipedia; 

As coach:

My all-time favorite OLine coach and one of my top-five favorite Bengals Assistants.

1 hour ago, snarkster said:

Maybe...but they can find a RT or C on the waiver wire - Sugar Tits could probably be a bridge at RT.  LT's are much more crucial and much harder to come by.  Plus, CO has already shown he's not and RT & now we're sure he's not an LT.  The Bengals need to bring in someone to challenge at every spot.  Boling maybe be fairly secure, but everyone else gets a serious push.  The best OLineman (RT maybe?) they can find in FA, a 1st round LT if one is there, a 3rd Rd. C/G and a later Rd. pick &/or a solid journeyman utility guy. 

I don't stop there either.  I always heard people say, "If (such and such) doesn't happen, I'm through with this team," an I always just shake my head, "yeah, right."  Well, I'm and original Bengals Fan.  Been here through Greg Cook, Virgil Carter, Ken Anderson, the Super Bowls & the Dark Ages - thick & thin.  Never once waivered.  But I'll swear here & now, if Marvin Lewis &/or Paul Alexander are still on the Bengal sidelines when camp opens I'm finished (or at the very least gone until they are).

i feel the same , been a fan since the mid 70's to present  , but lewis not wanting to playing rookies , regardless how much better they are than who's starting and all his other bullcrap drives you nuts !!

2 hours ago, snarkster said:

Agree with you 1000%...Been a fan since the 70's..They have not drafted a good O Lineman in over 5 years. Alexander needs to go!

..Lewis should have been gone after the loss to San Diego in 2013...Good ol Mike Brown does'nt believe in paying for Offensive guards.How's that working out?..We need new blood ..I,m with ya.They both need to be gone or I don't follow the team that simple..Give props to Lewis for taking the Bengals out of the dark ages but he needs to go real soon...THey may very well lose their next 3 road games Tehy should can him then and get a tough minded coach!

9 hours ago, t5 Hill Runs Wild said:

i feel the same , been a fan since the mid 70's to present  , but lewis not wanting to playing rookies , regardless how much better they are than who's starting and all his other bullcrap drives you nuts !!

Marvin plays rookies and other young players as much as the average NFL head coach

According to profootballreference over the last ten years there have been 227 different rookies who started at least 14 games. Since there are 32 teams that is an average of 7.1 per team. Over the last ten years the Bengals have 7 different rookies who have started at least 14 games. 

When we expand it beyond just rookie seasons it does not change very much. Looking at the first three seasons of every player's career over the last 10 years there were 785 who had at least one season with at least 14 starts in his first three years. That is an average of 24.5 per team, and the Bengals have had 24. 

233 players had two seasons with at least 14 starts in their first 3 years. That is an average of 7.6 per team and the Bengals have had 7.

Only 80 players started at least 14 games in each of their first three seasons. That is an average of 2.5 per team and the Bengals have had 3.

Not sure where to put this and hope someone sees it and replies.

Dalton ran the ball twice in a row, of course running for his life.

One was a enough for a first down and the second was for a couple of yards.

*** He ran out of bounds on both.

What we noticed in the stands (OK, the old lady behind me) was the refs did not stop the

clock for either play.  It continued to run from the beginning of the first scramble for the first down

and continued running into the play following the second out of bounds scamper.

Can't lay it entirely on Marvin and staff not to catch it because the Indianapolis coaches didn't either.

Anyone else notice that?

Archived