Official Colts Bengals game thread

14 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

Every time Mathis got in he outplayed Livings.  You might argue Mathis wasn't great, but he was better than Livings, who was a human turnstile - hence Alexander's judgement issues.  I'm not basing it on Mathis' future refocus to fitness, strength and professionalism - that had nothing to do with the Bengals or Alexander, other than perhaps his taking being benched as a motivator.

When Mathis arived here he had been cut by two differnt teamsin three years.  So he should give Alexander some credit for seeing the potential in him.

Alexander started Mathis over Livings in 2009.  In 2010 Mathis did not deserve to start over livings.  He looked so bad on film that year that he had to settle for a league minimum contract in free agency.  That is the very bottom of the barrell for a 5 year veteran.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Not sure where to put this and hope someone sees it and replies.

Dalton ran the ball twice in a row, of course running for his life.

One was a enough for a first down and the second was for a couple of yards.

*** He ran out of bounds on both.

What we noticed in the stands (OK, the old lady behind me) was the refs did not stop the

clock for either play.  It continued to run from the beginning of the first scramble for the first down

and continued running into the play following the second out of bounds scamper.

Can't lay it entirely on Marvin and staff not to catch it because the Indianapolis coaches didn't either.

Anyone else notice that?

Hmmm I'm not sure what happened but it should have stopped for a couple seconds and then restarted when the ref set the ball. The clock doesn't stop until the next play every time someone runs out of bounds in the NFL, that's a common misconception by fans but I'm not sure if that's what's happening in this situation. It sounds like you're saying that it wasn't even stopped for the ball to be set, which is definitely strange if that's the case.

5 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Not sure where to put this and hope someone sees it and replies.

Dalton ran the ball twice in a row, of course running for his life.

One was a enough for a first down and the second was for a couple of yards.

*** He ran out of bounds on both.

What we noticed in the stands (OK, the old lady behind me) was the refs did not stop the

clock for either play.  It continued to run from the beginning of the first scramble for the first down

and continued running into the play following the second out of bounds scamper.

Can't lay it entirely on Marvin and staff not to catch it because the Indianapolis coaches didn't either.

Anyone else notice that?

Its the new mercy rule secretly passed by league officials and sponsors.   If a game is being poorly played to the point it is almost unwatchable, the refs will subtly allow the clock to run more than it is supposed to in certain situations.   This gives sponsors a chance for their commercial to be during post game or possible the next better game. Double secret rule. 

31 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Its the new mercy rule secretly passed by league officials and sponsors.   If a game is being poorly played to the point it is almost unwatchable, the refs will subtly allow the clock to run more than it is supposed to in certain situations.   This gives sponsors a chance for their commercial to be during post game or possible the next better game. Double secret rule. 

Ah! Well, there it is.  That explains everything.  

TYVM :smile:

5 hours ago, fredtoast said:

When Mathis arived here he had been cut by two differnt teamsin three years.  So he should give Alexander some credit for seeing the potential in him.

Alexander started Mathis over Livings in 2009.  In 2010 Mathis did not deserve to start over livings.  He looked so bad on film that year that he had to settle for a league minimum contract in free agency.  That is the very bottom of the barrell for a 5 year veteran.

Ok, tell me what was so bad about his tape.  I know what my eyes told me, and I can't recall Mathis ever screwing up in pass pro, but I got a real eyeful of Livings falling on his rear end as guys blew past him.  Was it his run blocking?  Doubt it.  I figure it had a lot more to do with off-field concerns (attitude, health) than on.  If his tape was "so bad" why would anyone sign him? 

Wouldn't you agree that when a player switches teams, you often see their real value, or deficiencies that were masked or glossed over on their previous team?  All we ever heard about was how amazing Livings was, direct quotes from Alexander about how bright his future was... and what happens?  Mathis switches teams - becomes the highest rated guard in the NFL.  Livings switches teams - out of the league in one year.  Again, say whatever you want about the tape, but Alexander couldn't get Mathis' potential out of him, whilst propping up a never-was who was exposed as the fraud we all knew him to be.

9 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

Again, say whatever you want about the tape, but Alexander couldn't get Mathis' potential out of him, whilst propping up a never-was who was exposed as the fraud we all knew him to be.

Mathis played at a very high level for Alexander in '09.  This was after being cut by two other teams.

And the fact that Alexander got more production from Livings than other O-line coaches seems to indicate he is a better coach.

4 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

I figure it had a lot more to do with off-field concerns (attitude, health) than on. 

At the time, I remember reading that Mathis was kind of a dick or whiner or something.  No idea if that's true; not like I know the guy myself, but that was the rumor.

Clock management

The clock is then restarted when the offense snaps the ball for their first play and continues to run unless one of the following occurs, in which case the clock is stopped at the end of the play and restarts at the next snap unless otherwise provided:[1]

• A player carrying the ball goes out of bounds. Unless after the 2-minute warning of the first half or inside the last 5 minutes of the second half, the clock is restarted when the ball is spotted, unless another condition causes the clock to start at the snap.

10 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Mathis played at a very high level for Alexander in '09.  This was after being cut by two other teams.

And the fact that Alexander got more production from Livings than other O-line coaches seems to indicate he is a better coach.

Livings benefited from playing beside a stud LT and overall solid line.  Like any line there is a weak link, and it was him, and any fan who was paying attention knows it.

Archived