Colts Bengals Good Bad and Ugly

Good: WJ3 continues to improve. His recovery skills are top notch. Defense played well as a unit, other than no answer for Doyle.

Bad: Two fumbles, both leading to points. The score, once again, was not indicative of how the defense played.

Ugly: I'll do this for you Numbers. The performance of the O-line isn't just ugly, it's critically putrid. I'm surprised Dalton is walking out of PBS under his own power. No need to line up a speedster like John Ross because there's no time for a deep route to develop. We knew the line would be a problem, but it's even worse than I imagined it would be. It's very hard to win an NFL game with a college line, but once again the D bailed them out.

We won

Andy was good....the dude is under constant pressure as soon as the ball is hiked

I love kroft

I want to love Mixon...but he keeps fucking fumbling the ball... dude is so talented 

the only other good IMO is Los on that Int/TD play..

The o-line is the worst fucking thing in the world

the defense gave up 23 points to a total shit team

special teams was just horrific 

refs suck...I am sure there were calls in our favor too, but that roughing that passer call just pisses me off

Good: 

- Dalton played well considering our offensive line is absolute trash

- Dunlap

- We won

Bad:

- Not starting WJIII and starting Hill -- it's baffling

- Supposedly someone named John Ross was active...

- The defense...the Colts are terrible and they moved the ball pretty much at will

- The linebackers --- you can't all Jack Doyle to look like Tony Gonzalez out there.  Then we really couldn't stop the run either.  The D-line got some penetration, but the Indy RBs gained at least an extra 3 yards every time one of our LBs touched them

Ugly:

- The entire coaching staff -- offense, defense and special teams

- The offensive line

- The Colts

Good:  Defense stepping up for the W

Bad:  Needing the defense to bail you out at home against a 2-5 team

Ugly: Can't expect a defensive TD every week & the schedule doesn't get any easier

Inexcusable:  Having the OL you drafted & developed in-house competing for the worst unit in not only the current league, but your franchise's history.  Then you fire the OC while the OL coach stays.

39 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

We won

Andy was good....the dude is under constant pressure as soon as the ball is hiked

I love kroft

I want to love Mixon...but he keeps fucking fumbling the ball... dude is so talented 

the only other good IMO is Los on that Int/TD play..

The o-line is the worst fucking thing in the world

the defense gave up 23 points to a total shit team

special teams was just horrific 

refs suck...I am sure there were calls in our favor too, but that roughing that passer call just pisses me off

Special teams was indeed special today. 🤣

1 hour ago, Michigan Muskie said:

Good: WJ3 continues to improve. His recovery skills are top notch. Defense played well as a unit, other than no answer for Doyle.

Bad: Two fumbles, both leading to points. The score, once again, was not indicative of how the defense played.

Ugly: I'll do this for you Numbers. The performance of the O-line isn't just ugly, it's critically putrid. I'm surprised Dalton is walking out of PBS under his own power. No need to line up a speedster like John Ross because there's no time for a deep route to develop. We knew the line would be a problem, but it's even worse than I imagined it would be. It's very hard to win an NFL game with a college line, but once again the D bailed them out.

Thanks. 

Good: Got to go to an NFL game with my sons, and my youngest Jacob, a Colts fan. went to his first NFL game and left a loser (although we sat near some really cool Colts fans, one of whom gave Jacob a Colts tote bag, which was really nice of him).

Mixon's ALMOST TD reception. Dude has insane moves

Dalton not throwing a pick while his protection continually collapsed around him

Dunlap's JJ Watt-like pick six

The secondary shutting out TY Hilton and every other receiver

Marvin won a challenge!

Bad: Erickson returning. Why is Adam Jones not returning punts anymore? He's better than Erickson, doesn't fair catch and doesn't fumble

The decade long inability to cover a tight end. Perhaps this was a function of being so tight on the wideouts and giving up the middle of the field...but still. We seem to NEVER have LB's that can REMOTELY cover a tight end.

The roughing call was bullshit

Ugly: Marvin Lewis still has a job and allows for play calls that are stupid

The refs explanation of the Colts "successful" challenge of the Lafell fumble was way too complicated

Allowing Frank Gore, who's 985 years old, to run all over

AJ Green almost giving another ball away

8 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

Good: Got to go to an NFL game with my sons, and my youngest Jacob, a Colts fan. went to his first NFL game and left a loser (although we sat near some really cool Colts fans, one of whom gave Jacob a Colts tote bag, which was really nice of him).

Mixon's ALMOST TD reception. Dude has insane moves

Dalton not throwing a pick while his protection continually collapsed around him

Dunlap's JJ Watt-like pick six

The secondary shutting out TY Hilton and every other receiver

Marvin won a challenge!

Bad: Erickson returning. Why is Adam Jones not returning punts anymore? He's better than Erickson, doesn't fair catch and doesn't fumble

The decade long inability to cover a tight end. Perhaps this was a function of being so tight on the wideouts and giving up the middle of the field...but still. We seem to NEVER have LB's that can REMOTELY cover a tight end.

The roughing call was bullshit

Ugly: Marvin Lewis still has a job and allows for play calls that are stupid

The refs explanation of the Colts "successful" challenge of the Lafell fumble was way too complicated

Allowing Frank Gore, who's 985 years old, to run all over

AJ Green almost giving another ball away

Glad your son left a loser today.   😃

How did the tailgating work out  ?

FWIW,  Colt's fans are usually pretty classy.   I went to the playoffs game in Indy and went to a half dozen tailgates that day and all of them were welcoming us to their shindigs. 

59 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

Why is Adam Jones not returning punts anymore? He's better than Erickson, doesn't fair catch and doesn't fumble

Did he even start today? He's only credited with one tackle, IIRC he's been nursing a back injury.  

12 hours ago, Numbers said:

Glad your son left a loser today.   😃

How did the tailgating work out  ?

FWIW,  Colt's fans are usually pretty classy.   I went to the playoffs game in Indy and went to a half dozen tailgates that day and all of them were welcoming us to their shindigs. 

They were all pretty cool...well, except for that one drunk guy...

11 hours ago, westside bengal said:

Maybe Ugly:

Was the stadium as empty as it looked on TV?

Yup. There were probably about 15k empty seats by my guess.

11 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Did he even start today? He's only credited with one tackle, IIRC he's been nursing a back injury.  

He started in the secondary.

After skimming the game thread and my impressions from the stands I wonder if we were watching the same game.

The Good:  We won.  The interception/return was a fluke play in that you don't draw that stuff up on the chalk board but we'll take it none the less.

The Bad:  How is Andy getting props?  Sorry, I thought he was terrible although his stats are ... better than Joe Baggadonuts on Indy.  He was way off when he did have guys open.  Remember throwing on to an open AJ in the end zone that landed in the dirt, another way over his head that he was lucky was not intercepted.  Macaroni (spell check) is gone for nothing after the season.  I was wondering if the Bengals will look at someone to groom for Andy's replacement in a few years. I look for a quarterback taken as high as the second round in the draft.  The entire game I was watching him and thinking the word that best describes the Marvengals: Mediocre.

Mixon's star is beginning to dim.  Yeah, the garbage O line has a lot to do with it.  Big catch and run was a game highlight but he was caught from behind before taking it in.  He should have kept his rookie mouth shut last week.

We still can't cover a fucking tight end.  That will be duly noted by every team we play the remainder of the season.

At the stadium the refs would say "74 is an eligible receiver" and Andre Smith would line up next to him.  The jumbotrom lit up with the message "They're running right" or so it seemed because that is what they did every time.  And it never worked.  Fisher was on his back doing The Roach (from the Animal House toga party) and Andre was picking dingleberries for a mid game snack.

Marvin's Classic Half Time Adjustments.

The Ugly:  Everything noted by everyone else here about the truly Offensive line is not only correct but an understatement.  Ross was in for a couple of plays that I noticed, once fell on his face diving for a bad Andy throw and looked like he was being sexually assaulted by Harvey Weinstein of the Colts, the other time was actually open and Andy threw to someone else.  The comment was made that he probably pulled a hamstring jogging back to the sideline.  Somewhat in his defense, what's the difference how fast he is if Andy does not have time to find him and opts for his favorite target, the sideline.

And this team continues to play down to the level of its opponent.  They looked like the did not want to win, going through the motions.  Or looked like they had already won before they took the field.  Lethargic.  Add to this even Marvin looks like he doesn't care (if he ever did).  He looks at his watch every few minutes to see if he will be home in time to catch the new episode of The Walking Dead on TV after watching it all afternoon on the field.  And to see how much closer he is to retiring to a life of luxury to his mansion in Arizona after the season with all the money he has stolen from the hardcore fans of the Cincinnati Bengals.

Oh yeah, some people are still talking about us making the playoffs.  I just hope we can beat Cleveland.

55 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

After skimming the game thread and my impressions from the stands I wonder if we were watching the same game.

Everyone watched the same game, but you just had on your "BENGALS SUCK" goggles.

It is all about perception.  Obviously you saw everything as being terrible and ignored anything good.

Dalton posted a 108.8 QB rating and he was "terrible throughout" just because he did not complete 100% of his passes?  C'mon man.

9 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Everyone watched the same game, but you just had on your "BENGALS SUCK" goggles.

It is all about perception.  Obviously you saw everything as being terrible and ignored anything good.

Dalton posted a 108.8 QB rating and he was "terrible throughout" just because he did not complete 100% of his passes?  C'mon man.

Eh I don't think Andy played as well as a nearly 109 passer rating would typically indicate. I just have a tough time putting the sole blame on him (like some people do here) because any play that isn't designed to immediately get rid of the ball without being able to go through any sort of progression, he's pressured on either side or has to try to roll out from inside pressure. He only had about 3 completions beyond 10 yards of the LOS and most of his throws were within 5 yards of the LOS or under. I wouldn't say he played a good game and I'm usually one to defend the guy.

People flip out because Andy locks on his target but I believe a lot of it is play design and playcalling from the coaches. No QB can go through progressions when the play is designed to immediately get the ball to a receiver and I think we run more plays like that than most teams in the league. What Andy doesn't do very well (IMO) is make that split second decision to pull the ball down or look elsewhere to throw if his receiver the play is designed to go to is blanketed. I'd say he's average or worse when it comes to that trait, especially this season. Andy is having a rough year but it's really difficult to put all the blame directly on him unless you're one of the guys that don't care about anything but hating on Dalton.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

We still can't cover a fucking tight end.  That will be duly noted by every team we play the remainder of the season.

They made a decision to not let TY Hilton beat them. He was averaging about 19 per coming in. He had 2 for 15 yesterday. Could they have done a better job on the TE? Yeah, but they accomplished the mission they set out to. 

Archived