Keep an eye on Jeremy Hill today

On 11/10/2017 at 8:13 PM, T-Dub said:

Hey man you can call it "Kevin" if it makes you feel better, I'm really not going to lose any sleep over it.

The last time I tried to have an honest conversation on the topic, I asked a very simple question:

Why has Mike Mitchell never been suspended?

1. All I got by way of an answer was deflection & the usual accusations of whining etc etc so I dropped it.  I think anyone buying Goodell's "integrity" grandstanding is naive, you think anyone doubting it is a Flat-Earther; it's whatever.  Just saying that your attempt to portray me as being overly-emotional about it comes off as projecting, at best. 2. If you really think that's all I post about just put me on ignore and get on with your day.  Problem solved.

1. Except I didn't do that, I actually gave you legitimate possibilities even though IMO he should have been suspended or should be on his next offense. It was another poster or two that said Mitchell was irrelevant or whatever, but I personally think every NFL player should be considered relevant when comparing punishment given out and whatnot. The reasoning I gave you, since I'm assuming you forgot, was a list of times Mitchell and Burfict were both fined and I showed you how Burfict has had a few more player safety violations than Mitchell before Burfict was even suspended in the first place. I think Mitchell should be suspended because he's clearly a wreckless asshole on the field, but if you go by fines before suspension, there's no inconsistency or favoritism to be found there when comparing those 2 directly. Stuff that pisses me off is when their WR can karate kick a punter and everyone laughs and a couple years later Vontaze barely brushes his foot up against a dudes helmet and there's an outcry of "he could have died, that was so close to his neck!!!!!!". Fuck off, jagoffs.

2. I stated in this very thread that I don't believe it's all you post about, so I do believe some of this is misdirected since I tend to agree with you more than you may realize. We simply disagree on the reasoning for the things happening. I think there's bias, but that's more so the media and casual fans. You think there's a bias coming directly from the league, I think they're wildly inconsistent because of the subjectivity of the rules allowing them to be. Sure, some crazy situations can happen at times like the whole Ray Rice ordeal, so I'm not so naive that I deserve mocked with statements like "go ahead and pretend the league is so pure" because obviously there are some questionable things going on with pretty much any large corporation, let alone one that is a huge part of televised American entertainment. I just don't think it goes to the extent of everybody having to bring their theories into every thread and can't seem to enjoy the game because everything is "scripted" or whatever that person believes. The day I truly believe that the NFL is "rigged" to the extent that you and some others believe is the day I stop watching, so that's why I'm so confused why everyone is still around with such strong thoughts on the matter. I don't think you HAVE to stop watching, it just confuses me why you'd waste your time if everything is fake or setup or whatever.

TLDR; I think there's a huge bias around the league, but it seems to be more media and shithead fans rather than coming from the league itself. There are so many missed calls and uneven punishments given out on a weekly basis by the NFL (so we agree on that), but our theories of exactly why are completely different. I don't think Goddell has it out for the Bengals and forces calls to favor Pittsburgh, but you'll never find me disagreeing that there are absolutely terrible calls at times that go against us and for them.

9 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

1. Except I didn't do that, I actually gave you legitimate possibilities even though IMO he should have been suspended or should be on his next offense. It was another poster or two that said Mitchell was irrelevant or whatever, but I personally think every NFL player should be considered relevant when comparing punishment given out and whatnot. The reasoning I gave you, since I'm assuming you forgot, was a list of times Mitchell and Burfict were both fined and I showed you how Burfict has had a few more player safety violations than Mitchell before Burfict was even suspended in the first place. I think Mitchell should be suspended because he's clearly a wreckless asshole on the field, but if you go by fines before suspension, there's no inconsistency or favoritism to be found there when comparing those 2 directly. Stuff that pisses me off is when their WR can karate kick a punter and everyone laughs and a couple years later Vontaze barely brushes his foot up against a dudes helmet and there's an outcry of "he could have died, that was so close to his neck!!!!!!". Fuck off, jagoffs.

2. I stated in this very thread that I don't believe it's all you post about, so I do believe some of this is misdirected since I tend to agree with you more than you may realize. We simply disagree on the reasoning for the things happening. I think there's bias, but that's more so the media and casual fans. You think there's a bias coming directly from the league, I think they're wildly inconsistent because of the subjectivity of the rules allowing them to be. Sure, some crazy situations can happen at times like the whole Ray Rice ordeal, so I'm not so naive that I deserve mocked with statements like "go ahead and pretend the league is so pure" because obviously there are some questionable things going on with pretty much any large corporation, let alone one that is a huge part of televised American entertainment. I just don't think it goes to the extent of everybody having to bring their theories into every thread and can't seem to enjoy the game because everything is "scripted" or whatever that person believes. The day I truly believe that the NFL is "rigged" to the extent that you and some others believe is the day I stop watching, so that's why I'm so confused why everyone is still around with such strong thoughts on the matter. I don't think you HAVE to stop watching, it just confuses me why you'd waste your time if everything is fake or setup or whatever.

TLDR; I think there's a huge bias around the league, but it seems to be more media and shithead fans rather than coming from the league itself. There are so many missed calls and uneven punishments given out on a weekly basis by the NFL (so we agree on that), but our theories of exactly why are completely different. I don't think Goddell has it out for the Bengals and forces calls to favor Pittsburgh, but you'll never find me disagreeing that there are absolutely terrible calls at times that go against us and for them.

Yeah I don't think "everything" is a set-up, or that it's just Pitt vs. Bengals.  It's that one team has a huge bandwagon and makes the NFL lots of money, and one doesn't.  Obviously that's a factor with something like scheduling prime time games, but it shouldn't affect player discipline or officiating.  I do think the officials sometimes have an agenda, particularly in the postseason, and I doubt they need to be told anything explicitly.  I also suspect that more than a few are shaving points -  with the vague rules, sloppy calls and proxy bets the NFL would never know.  I can't even blame them.  Like I've said before, every other major sports league has had a huge gambling scandal that cleaned things up.  The NFL hasn't.  I happen to think it's overdue & not because the NFL has more "integrity" than everyone else.   

Archived