Bengals and Browns tried...

Lol if the trade deadline isn't real, why would the league bother announcing it?  Whether by gross incompetence or intentional sabotage, the Browns did not report the deal in time.  The league certainly could have granted an appeal to allow the trade.  The reality is that it shouldn't have come to that.  Tough to bitch about not getting an exception when one of the parties botched the deal and nobody is certain why it happened. 

20 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Lol if the trade deadline isn't real, why would the league bother announcing it?  Whether by gross incompetence or intentional sabotage, the Browns did not report the deal in time.  The league certainly could have granted an appeal to allow the trade.  The reality is that it shouldn't have come to that.  Tough to bitch about not getting an exception when one of the parties botched the deal and nobody is certain why it happened. 

Its not real because nothing happens. If I don't get to the gate by the time my flight is to leave than the plane takes off. I can't get on a plane that left. Thats a real deadline. Nothing happens at 4:02. 

11 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The deadline seems real to me since McCarron is not a Brown.  Deadlines are common in court orders, contracts, and labor agreements.  You can bitch and moan that the appeal wasn't granted, but this isn't some outrageous injustice.  Cleveland botched it and we lost out.  

There is literally no reason for them to be so strict with this deadline. Both parties have evidence of agreement and intent. That is often all that matters in court order, contracts and labor agreements. Deadlines move all the time in those situations as negotiations move forward. 

7 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

There is literally no reason for them to be so strict with this deadline. Both parties have evidence of agreement and intent. That is often all that matters in court order, contracts and labor agreements. Deadlines move all the time in those situations as negotiations move forward. 

Except for, once again, a deadline is a deadline.  It’s there to be enforced. 

9 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Other than the trade deadline is negotiated between the NFL and NFLPA?  C'mon man. 

9 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Its not real because nothing happens. If I don't get to the gate by the time my flight is to leave than the plane takes off. I can't get on a plane that left. Thats a real deadline. Nothing happens at 4:02. 

No it's very real because it's a set deadline because they have to pick a time where the deadline occurs. This is some super illogical shit here. You're being very stubborn for whatever reason.

It's totally fine to say that you don't like how the NFL trade deadline works or whatever, but your claim that it's "not real" is flat out absurd. You're wrong man, literally wrong. You are factually incorrect about this. The NFL is playing by the rules and you're upset that they're not bending them since it benefits the team you root for. There's no possible way for you to come out of this looking like a sane, rational person if you keep arguing against this. I think you're better off saving your efforts for a battle that makes a bit more sense.

Again, you're fine to say that you wish the NFL would change their policy or add some language in to prevent stuff like this from happening, but your current claims against the deadline are not ones based in sound logic.

15 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Yeah and as soon as an exception is made for New England or Dallas all hell would break loose.  If it had been Garapalo to Cleveland instead of AJ, we all would have screamed bloody murder if the league made an exception.  There is every reason in the world to be strict. This is a professional sports league, they have a clearly defined  beginning and end to every season.  These guys are not building houses.  

3 minutes ago, Hooky said:

I'm all for the rules being strictly enforced. If they did it all of the time.

There are rules that are enforced by the commissioner for which he has great latitude.  This latitude was given to him in the CBA. 

Specific rules written in the CBA or agreed to in writing in other agreements between the NFL and NFLPA aren't debatable or flexible.  Maybe the rule does need to be tweaked, but that is for the future.  As the rule stands the Browns didn't do their paperwork in time, so no trade.

10 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Considering that Andy Dalton is most likely going to get turned into hamburger meat by the Jax D-Line, it might be early on Sunday when we're thanking our higher powers that the McCarron trade didn't go through.

Unless there is a bonafide miracle between this past Sunday and this Sunday, I believe you will be right.

We may even have to activate Driskel... because AD & AJ may be in traction by halftime.

9 minutes ago, schotzee said:

I'd be running shotgun or no huddle early and often to try and get them back on their heels. Really need to come out with an aggressive attack.

this makes the most sense.  so i expect them to go under center after running the clock down and getting a few delay of game penalties along the way.

25 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

this makes the most sense.  so i expect them to go under center after running the clock down and getting a few delay of game penalties along the way.

That might not be a bad strategy. Jacksonville has the best overall, best pass, and worst run defense in the league: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

Whereas we have the 26th best pass O and 27th best run O: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamoff

Maybe the strategy should be to run as much as possible, and if we go 3 & out and punt, Bortles might just give us the ball back on their half of the field. I expect Huber will punt at least 5 times if not 7.

What purpose does the deadline serve, anyway? The league still has to approve all trades regardless, so if an owner decided late in the season to have a fire sale and propose a lopsided trade in another team's favor the league can always say no.

11 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

Except for, once again, a deadline is a deadline.  It’s there to be enforced. 

Your take on this is overly simplistic and ignores the realities of the situation. Intent was there prior to the deadline. They are not ignoring the deadline. This is a simple clerical error that the league decided to be stubborn about. 

10 hours ago, SF2 said:

Yeah and as soon as an exception is made for New England or Dallas all hell would break loose.  If it had been Garapalo to Cleveland instead of AJ, we all would have screamed bloody murder if the league made an exception.  There is every reason in the world to be strict. This is a professional sports league, they have a clearly defined  beginning and end to every season.  These guys are not building houses.  

Its not really making an exception. The intent was there before the deadline. You would have screamed bloody murder for a minor clerical error? We never had to even know. 

There is literally no reason why this trade shouldn't have been accepted. None. Nothing different happens at 4:03 that they couldn't have made a phone call to clear up the intention of the 2 teams. 

22 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Its not really making an exception. The intent was there before the deadline. You would have screamed bloody murder for a minor clerical error? We never had to even know. 

There is literally no reason why this trade shouldn't have been accepted. None. Nothing different happens at 4:03 that they couldn't have made a phone call to clear up the intention of the 2 teams. 

Except that it is a rule contractually created by the NFL and NFLPA. 

If I am an opponent of the Browns I may not want them to improve at the QB position, so I would protest the trade for being after the deadline.

AJ McCarron may have no interest in playing in Cleveland.  In that case he could protest the trade not being complete at the deadline. 

These are just a couple of examples why they stick to a strict deadline as agreed to by the NFL and NFLPA. 

From the Washington Post:

"The trade deadline is later than it used to be . . . The league, on the recommendation of the rulemaking NFL competition committee and with the agreement of the NFLPA, pushed back the trade deadline in 2012 from the Tuesday after Week 6 to the Tuesday after Week 8 of the regular season. "

This really isn't that difficult to understand.

On 11/1/2017 at 4:47 PM, MichaelWeston said:

Kid is walking to the classroom and the principal stops him to talk to him. I can't believe how many people are making this argument so black and white. Life is not black and white. There is literally no reason at all to adhere to this rule. NONE. The NFL gains not a thing. There is evidence that both teams agreed before the deadline. All they had to do was make a phone call and say hey you didn't send in the proper paperwork do you want to do this. There were like 7 trades yesterday and one at the traded deadline. Who do they have working there? This is utter nonsense. 

I taught school for 36 years. The principal would then walk the student into the classroom and tell the teacher they were talking.

25 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Except that it is a rule contractually created by the NFL and NFLPA. 

If I am an opponent of the Browns I may not want them to improve at the QB position, so I would protest the trade for being after the deadline.

AJ McCarron may have no interest in playing in Cleveland.  In that case he could protest the trade not being complete at the deadline. 

These are just a couple of examples why they stick to a strict deadline as agreed to by the NFL and NFLPA. 

From the Washington Post:

"The trade deadline is later than it used to be . . . The league, on the recommendation of the rulemaking NFL competition committee and with the agreement of the NFLPA, pushed back the trade deadline in 2012 from the Tuesday after Week 6 to the Tuesday after Week 8 of the regular season. "

This really isn't that difficult to understand.

It seems pretty difficult to understand. This stuff happens all the time. There is no reason to be anal about this rule. It hurts the NFL. When they were making the rule I am sure they didn't say.

Guy A"Well what if one team accidentally emails the other team instead of the other team?"

Guy B "Well then NO TRADE. WE must have 100% proper paperwork at 4:00 or no deal whatsoever. Although all we need is an email and then the teams then get 15 days to negotiate the final terms".......sounds totally legit. 

8 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

It seems pretty difficult to understand. This stuff happens all the time. There is no reason to be anal about this rule. It hurts the NFL. When they were making the rule I am sure they didn't say.

Guy A"Well what if one team accidentally emails the other team instead of the other team?"

Guy B "Well then NO TRADE. WE must have 100% proper paperwork at 4:00 or no deal whatsoever. Although all we need is an email and then the teams then get 15 days to negotiate the final terms".......sounds totally legit. 

There is ever reason to be anal about it.  If you are casual with a rule, the rule does not exist.  The NFL and NFLPA have agreed on the date and time of the trade deadline.  The teams are informed of the requirements for a trade.  If they don't meet those requirements there is no trade.

If the NFL was lax on the rule trades could be challenged left and right.  The Dolphins could decide to trade with the Giants next week.  When the NFL says it's after the deadline the two teams could say "you didn't apply the deadline to the Bengals and Browns, so why should it apply to us?"  They would likely win in court.  The trade deadline isn't an interpret-able rule like the defenseless receiver rule.  It is a contractual obligation and must be adhered to 100%. 

If the NFL and NFLPA want to allow a few hours or so for teams to finish negotiations and paperwork like in the NBA and NHL they need to write it into the agreement. 

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

You really need to quit whining about it.  No one agreed with you 2 days ago when it happened, no one agreed with you yesterday when u were still fussing and no one has agreed with you today.

Just remember to pay your electric bill on time or you get a late fee or even have it disconnected.  It's right there on the bill....black and white.

25 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

You really need to quit whining about it.  No one agreed with you 2 days ago when it happened, no one agreed with you yesterday when u were still fussing and no one has agreed with you today.

Just remember to pay your electric bill on time or you get a late fee or even have it disconnected.  It's right there on the bill....black and white.

Have to agree; it's done.  The Browns are who we thought they were.   The fact that McSkeeter isn't already starting here due to injury is kind of amazing.  I tried to steer the conversation to his grievance over being an RFA but that didn't take. Why would anyone expect the league to do us any favors anyway? The Redeemer's had his hand in the pocket of Jones, Kraft, Rooney etc for too long.  Of course the notion of rich, powerful people manipulating their business unethically is Flat Earth crazy-talk, but either way the Hue Jackson, Bengals Sleeper Agent ship has sailed.  Let it gooooo

Archived