Bengals and Browns tried...

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Have to agree; it's done.  The Browns are who we thought they were.   The fact that McSkeeter isn't already starting here due to injury is kind of amazing.  I tried to steer the conversation to his grievance over being an RFA but that didn't take. Why would anyone expect the league to do us any favors anyway? The Redeemer's had his hand in the pocket of Jones, Kraft, Rooney etc for too long.  Of course the notion of rich, powerful people manipulating their business unethically is Flat Earth crazy-talk, but either way the Hue Jackson, Bengals Sleeper Agent ship has sailed.  Let it gooooo

I see this whole fiasco as another Hue Jackson panic move like the CP trade.  Hue was afraid he needed to win a couple of games to save his job and pushed for the trade.  And he basically told the NFL world that he has given up on Kizer after yanking him around for half a season.

I don't understand all the love for Hue unless they are still waiting for him to open Pandora's Box.

7 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

I don't understand all the love for Hue 

He was a pretty good OC that tended to get cute in pressure situations.  That Bratkowski tendency to outsmart himself because the simple call is too obvious even though it's the right one. From what he's shown as a HC his ego far outweighs his ability. 

8 hours ago, T-Dub said:

He was a pretty good OC that tended to get cute in pressure situations.  That Bratkowski tendency to outsmart himself because the simple call is too obvious even though it's the right one. From what he's shown as a HC his ego far outweighs his ability. 

You nailed it.

8 hours ago, westside bengal said:

I see this whole fiasco as another Hue Jackson panic move like the CP trade.  Hue was afraid he needed to win a couple of games to save his job and pushed for the trade.  And he basically told the NFL world that he has given up on Kizer after yanking him around for half a season.

I don't understand all the love for Hue unless they are still waiting for him to open Pandora's Box.

Well, the cold hard fact is DeShone Kizer will NEVER be a quality BACKUP QB in this league.  He didn't complete 60% of his passes in college in his last year and his team (NDame) was 4-8.  What did they expect him to do it in the NFL?  How can an NFL team have DeShone Kizer, Cody Kessler and Kevin Hogan as their QBs?  Its almost impossible to pick that poorly unless on purpose.  If there was a team that Colin Kaepernick should go to,..this is it. He would instantly be light years better than what they currently have. 

On 11/1/2017 at 10:14 PM, MichaelWeston said:

Do you have a source for this? It makes it even more nonsense. 

It's in this piece:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/11/bengals_did_receive_email_from.html

"ESPN analyst and Hall of Fame executive Bill Polian ripped the Browns for the failed transaction on Wednesday, insisting that they don't know the rules. He said each side can send in its own copy right away to consummate a trade, and that the two-signature document is "another procedure that's done long after the trade is made to memorialize it'' with three copies, one for each team and one for the NFL. Another source said the teams have 15 days to file the more formal document that the Browns were trying to pull off in minutes."

46 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Well, the cold hard fact is DeShone Kizer will NEVER be a quality BACKUP QB in this league.  He didn't complete 60% of his passes in college in his last year and his team (NDame) was 4-8.  What did they expect him to do it in the NFL?  How can an NFL team have DeShone Kizer, Cody Kessler and Kevin Hogan as their QBs?  Its almost impossible to pick that poorly unless on purpose.  If there was a team that Colin Kaepernick should go to,..this is it. He would instantly be light years better than what they currently have. 

Kessler isn't absolute dog shit, I think he could be an OK starter (even if just a stop gap) if he had a year or two to learn behind a legitimate vet and went to a guy like House for some work on his arm.

The Browns have like 10 billion dollars and 20 draft picks every single year, I don't see how they couldn't have found a single good QB by now. It's mindblowing stuff.

5 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Kessler isn't absolute dog shit, I think he could be an OK starter (even if just a stop gap) if he had a year or two to learn behind a legitimate vet and went to a guy like House for some work on his arm.

The Browns have like 10 billion dollars and 20 draft picks every single year, I don't see how they couldn't have found a single good QB by now. It's mindblowing stuff.

In 2014 they had 2 first round picks.    They chose Manziel and Justin Gilbert, DB at #8.  Both are out of the league.  Gilbert is an epic bust as a substance abuser as is Manziel.

In 2015 they had 2 first round picks.  Danny Shelton, Nose Tackle at #12 and Cameron Erving Center at 19.  Shelton is a good player but using a #12 on a Nose Tackle?  Erving is Meh and again a #19 on a center?

In 2016 they had 1 first round pick.  They chose Corey Coleman WR, Bayor with the 15th pick.  He has China Doll Syndrome and can't stay on the field.  IR for 2017

Too soon to tell about the 3 picks in 2017.  Myles Garrett overall #1 can't stay on the field but looks good when he plays,  Jabrill Peppers, S #25 pick isn't setting the world on fire and David Njoku, TE 29th pick is Ok.

11 minutes ago, SF2 said:

The Browns had 2 1st round picks in 2014.   They chose Manziel and Justin Gilbert.  Both are out of the league. 

Do they draft shit-tier players constantly or is it just next to impossible to succeed in Cleveland?

It's like a chicken or the egg argument haha I know that guys like Manziel are just bad and most people could see that he would fail at the NFL level, but Cleveland has drafted some seemingly very, very talented kids that haven't done much of anything over the years.

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

Do they draft shit-tier players constantly or is it just next to impossible to succeed in Cleveland?

It's like a chicken or the egg argument haha I know that guys like Manziel are just bad and most people could see that he would fail at the NFL level, but Cleveland has drafted some seemingly very, very talented kids that haven't done much of anything over the years.

One can only guess how much of a fuck up Gilbert was in Cleveland.   They traded him to the Stealers after 2 seasons.  He was the 8th fucking pick!!

A lot of fans complain about us passing on the offer of the saints entire draft in 1999, but we probably would not have done any better with those picks than the Redskins.  They got nothing.

But what makes it so bad is that we passed up that deal in order to draft Akili Smith.  Here is my favorite Akili Smith fact.  Over the last forty years there have been 261 QBs that have attempted at least 450 passes.  Akili Smith ranks 261st in yards per attempt (4.8), 261st in td% (1.1), 259th in completion percentage (46.6) and 258th in pass efficiency rating (52.8).  He was truly a "once in a generation" player.

40 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

A lot of fans complain about us passing on the offer of the saints entire draft in 1999, but we probably would not have done any better with those picks than the Redskins.  They got nothing.

But what makes it so bad is that we passed up that deal in order to draft Akili Smith.  Here is my favorite Akili Smith fact.  Over the last forty years there have been 261 QBs that have attempted at least 450 passes.  Akili Smith ranks 261st in yards per attempt (4.8), 261st in td% (1.1), 259th in completion percentage (46.6) and 258th in pass efficiency rating (52.8).  He was truly a "once in a generation" player.

The really bad thing is that the person who made the decision to draft Aliki Smith is still running the Bengals today.

2 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Don't forget he got a $10.8 mil signing bonus and from what I can piece together probably made about 15 mil over 4 years.   That equates to $3 mil per TD pass he threw in 4 years. (5 TD total) and I saw one of those rare unicorn TD passes live in the second regular season game ever played at PBS against the Dolphins.   He was actually playing well until he fumbled the ball with 8 seconds left before the half and Jason Taylor returned it for a TD.  Went PERMANENTLY downhill from there. 

2 hours ago, westside bengal said:

The really bad thing is that the person who made the decision to draft Aliki Smith is still running the Bengals today.

Good reason to fire Marvin and get Hue. Hue Jackson will be so busy trading away first rounders for Scott Mitchell level players, Mike Brown won't have any picks to go after Akili Smith level players.

Christ, why do I watch this team again?

On 11/2/2017 at 7:07 PM, MichaelWeston said:

Your take on this is overly simplistic and ignores the realities of the situation. Intent was there prior to the deadline. They are not ignoring the deadline. This is a simple clerical error that the league decided to be stubborn about. 

Meh. Still, a deadline is a deadline.

The “reality” of the situation is that there is a hard time cap by which time the deals are to be complete. Why have a fucking rule if it’s not enforced? They had seven weeks to get a trade done, they waited until the last minute and then sucked at it. That’s not the league’s fault.

Your view of the situation is overly complex and begging for exception. 

I imagine Mike Brown's view of the trade was that he got a divisional rival to overpay for an average guy he wasn't afraid to face. Nobody is afraid of Dalton either but he sometimes gets the job done. Brown might have thought that giving them McCarron would take away a couple of their high picks to get him some support and maybe discourage them from using their #1 pick on a QB in a good QB draft. Now watch them take someone like Mayfield in the 2nd and he becomes a star.

Archived