Bengals and Browns tried...

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

I was referring to your "back-up" remark.  I'm pretty sure you knew that, but as usual can't resist some half-assed "gotcha" semantic argument because everyone here is an idiot but you.   

Nah, I just don't know how you're certain he's an upgrade to their QBs right now if we aren't sure how good he is since he only played in a few games. 

I'm totally fine if we have differing opinions, it just seemed like you argued with yourself in the 2 statements that I put in bold. 

How can you be so sure he's an immediate upgrade for them if we haven't seen him in enough games that I can't say that he's "good backup" quality? Legitimate question, no gotcha. 

4 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Nah, I just don't know how you're certain he's an upgrade to their QBs right now if we aren't sure how good he is since he only played in a few games. 

I'm totally fine if we have differing opinions, it just seemed like you argued with yourself in the 2 statements that I put in bold. 

How can you be so sure he's an immediate upgrade for them if we haven't seen him in enough games that I can't say that he's "good backup" quality? Legitimate question, no gotcha. 

You honestly don't think he's an improvement over What's-his-name?  K then.  Apparently the Browns disagree, though I wouldn't exactly call them competent either.

3 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

This makes no sense. The intent was there. What does the NFL gain by not allowing. This deal. It would take a simple phone call to clear it up. The nfl should want the best 32 qbs playing. This entire thing is on the nfl. 

Good Point It's better for the NFL period including their revenue which is taking a bit of a hit this season

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

You honestly don't think he's an improvement over What's-his-name?  K then.  Apparently the Browns disagree, though I wouldn't exactly call them competent either.

I'm not claiming to be a QB wizard that can see the future, but I've personally never been overly impressed with AJM's skillset.

He holds onto the ball for a really long time without having the evasive skills of a Rapistberger, Rodgers, etc. He doesn't have the best throws off of uneven footing and on the run, he struggles more than the average guy if he can't plant and step into his throw. I don't think his arm is anything special, it's fine though. I will reserve judgment on his general football IQ until I see him get a few more starts in the future (whether it's here or not). There are plenty more details of his play that I don't love and I'm sure this won't be the last time an AJM discussion comes up, so I can get more into it when I'm on a PC and not my phone next time. 

He could become a good starting QB in the future, you'll very, very, very rarely find me claiming that there's a 0% chance a certain player will improve as I realize crazier things have happened in pro sports. With McCarron, I feel fairly confident that he has the skills of a solid career backup barring drastic changes. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Just my 0.02 

13 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

This makes no sense. The intent was there. What does the NFL gain by not allowing. This deal. It would take a simple phone call to clear it up. The nfl should want the best 32 qbs playing. This entire thing is on the nfl. 

I have to disagree, but not in a dickhead kind of way. I think there needs to be firm deadlines in this kind of situation. Simply because if you let one team get around it then the flood gates open for all the others to find a way to do the same. Maybe even cheat the system.

2 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

Eh, in April they'll just use a first and get Jackson or Rosen instead when they realize they're better, younger prospects that won't need a second contract negotiated the next year. 

The funny part of that? They'll get enamored with the #1 pick QB, and have traded away the seconds and thirds needed to put a decent supporting cast around him.

4 minutes ago, BengalBuck said:

I have to disagree, but not in a dickhead kind of way. I think there needs to be firm deadlines in this kind of situation. Simply because if you let one team get around it then the flood gates open for all the others to find a way to do the same. Maybe even cheat the system.

I get that but the deadline shouldn't be one team put the wrong name on a paper.  It should be both teams call at 4:09 and say we had something in principal 

3 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

I get that but the deadline shouldn't be one team put the wrong name on a paper.  It should be both teams call at 4:09 and say we had something in principal 

I believe the NBA will let teams in negotiations have extended time to finish a deal if they are near the deadline, but that's not how the NFL works.

I do believe though that is going to change in the very near future. It wasn't long ago that trades in the NFL were virtually unheard of. Things are changing.

Shades of the Shaun Rogers fiasco from a decade ago.  Thought we had a deal until it was botched and both sides point fingers at the other.  My initial thought is that it seemed strange to trade within the division, especially considering the history of the Brown family and Cleveland.  That said, I would gladly accept 2nd and 3rd round picks for McCarron.  I can see this being revisited in the off season with or without the Browns being involved.  Garrapolo set the market and it's still up in the air if AJ will be considered an unrestricted FA.

Multiple sources said that the Bengals emailed their signed paperwork to the NFL before 4 p.m. and the Browns did not. The Bengals also copied the Browns on the signed document they emailed to the NFL.

Several league sources told cleveland.com that separate documents from each team -- signed only by that team -- constitutes a trade. Bottom line: the league never received anything with the Browns signature on it.

Another league source said the Browns sent a signed document to the Bengals and expected them to also sign it and send it to the NFL. Instead, the Bengals emailed the copy only signed by them -- but that's standard operating procedure, sources say.

Hall of Fame executive Bill Polian criticized the Browns on Sirius XM NFL radio Tuesday night, saying the Bengals have many years of front office experience and would not mess up a trade. Meanwhile, Browns Executive Vice President of Football Operations Sashi Brown is in his second year as quasi- GM.

-Cleveland.com

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/10/browns_failed_to_approve_trade.html

1 minute ago, ickeybrooks said:

Multiple sources said that the Bengals emailed their signed paperwork to the NFL before 4 p.m. and the Browns did not. The Bengals also copied the Browns on the signed document they emailed to the NFL.

Several league sources told cleveland.com that separate documents from each team -- signed only by that team -- constitutes a trade. Bottom line: the league never received anything with the Browns signature on it.

Another league source said the Browns sent a signed document to the Bengals and expected them to also sign it and send it to the NFL. Instead, the Bengals emailed the copy only signed by them -- but that's standard operating procedure, sources say.

Hall of Fame executive Bill Polian criticized the Browns on Sirius XM NFL radio Tuesday night, saying the Bengals have many years of front office experience and would not mess up a trade. Meanwhile, Browns Executive Vice President of Football Operations Sashi Brown is in his second year as quasi- GM.

-Cleveland.com

yea... the clowns are the biggest shit show in the world... cost us two high picks 

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

It honestly makes zero sense to me. Why would the NFL be nitpicky on this? The intent is there at 4. Why not just call the Browns and say we have half a document here did you agree to this deal? Would take 1 minute at most. This entire thing is nonsense. 

Because Goodell likes to look like a hard-ass authority figure when it suits him?  Because it's more entertaining to point & laugh at two struggling franchises? 

Regardless, the Browns fucked up and missed the deadline.  Nobody to blame but themselves.

14 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Because Goodell likes to look like a hard-ass authority figure when it suits him?  Because it's more entertaining to point & laugh at two struggling franchises? 

Regardless, the Browns fucked up and missed the deadline.  Nobody to blame but themselves.

Agreed, this is yet another instance where Goodell simply does what suits him.  Remember the Terrell Owens fiasco?  They allowed him and his agent to undo a trade to the Ravens and do their original one to the Eagles, even though the agent didn't file to void his final contract years in time.  The basis for that one was apparently the loss of salary Owens would suffer because he didn't get his chance to become a free agent.  Couldn't McCarron make a similar grievance that he would be able to build up a better case for a new contract if he can start for half a season?

14 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

My thoughts as well. Those would have been some nice pieces to play with early in the rounds next year... And some people want Hue Jackson to be our head coach.

-Gives away the house for Carson Palmer

-Excited to have RGIII as a QB

-Passes on Wentz

-Passes on Watson...twice!

-offers 2nd and 3rd for unproven QB.

Some of you guys want this guy to be the Bengals HC?  Are you nuts?  Good OC.  Way over his head in talent evaluation.

A Browns second round pick is about the same as a first round pick.  This would have been an awesome deal for the Bengals.

When I argue with the guys who claim Mccarron should start over Dalton it seems like I hate AJ, but he is actually a top quality back up and could probably become a decent starter in the NFL.

Archived