Bengals and Browns tried...

12 hours ago, ickeybrooks said:

Fantastic 

IMG_6513.PNG

Scheffter reported that the turds screwed it up. They are blaming the Bengals, but if it is our fault, they should be thanking us. A 2nd and 3rd early round draft pick for just another cog in their QB carousel?

9 minutes ago, Hooky said:

Scheffter reported that the turds screwed it up. They are blaming the Bengals, but if it is our fault, they should be thanking us. A 2nd and 3rd early round draft pick for just another cog in their QB carousel?

Word going around is that the Browns' front office sent signed documents to the Bengals, expected the Bengals to sign as well and submit them to the league. The Bengals signed and submitted the proper paperwork of their own, assuming the Browns knew to do the same. League policy is that they must receive the signed document from each team separately and 1 team can't submit on behalf of both sides even if there's proof that the 1 team sent to the other.

I guess that's the big mix up and why the Browns are trying to blame the Bengals even though the Browns didn't follow protocol.

40 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

A Browns second round pick is about the same as a first round pick.  This would have been an awesome deal for the Bengals.

When I argue with the guys who claim Mccarron should start over Dalton it seems like I hate AJ, but he is actually a top quality back up and could probably become a decent starter in the NFL.

Yeah, I gotta agree with this.  Early 2nd round picks are great since they are not overpriced and you can pick up great players at guard, center, TE and dline.   If they end up sucking, you don't lose too much.  

17 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Would have been a good deal for the Bengals. The reports don't say which 2nd round pick the Bengals would get though. Cleveland has 3 and it might have been the Eagles or Texans rather than the Browns own pick.

Good point. I forgot that the turds still have 20 picks in the first 3 rounds.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Would have been a good deal for the Bengals. The reports don't say which 2nd round pick the Bengals would get though. Cleveland has 3 and it might have been the Eagles or Texans rather than the Browns own pick.

any 2nd and 3rd would have been just fine.

19 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

any 2nd and 3rd would have been just fine.

Yep.

Even if the Eagles win the SB (assuming it was that pick for worst case scenario) and the Browns don't end up dead last, you still pick early-middle in the 2nd with our own pick, again at the end of the 2nd, beginning of the 3rd, and then early-mid 3rd. That's 4 picks between the #35 and #75 best players available in the draft.

That's crazy return value for a QB that will never be our full time starter. Anyone bitching that we need to fix our OL should be mad that this trade didn't go through, those 2nd-3rd rounders could have given us a better chance of finding an immediate starter on the line next year.

1 minute ago, MichaelWeston said:

Not sure whats up with the post one above. 

This has me as angry as the playoff game. Just another case of something the NFL seems to be doing that is unreasonable. 

The NFL is doing nothing unreasonable. They're following protocol. A deadline is a deadline for a reason. They can't just start letting teams go past it because you're a fan of one of the teams and find it unreasonable that we weren't allowed to break the rules to get a deal done that would likely favor us.

1 minute ago, omgdrdoom said:

The NFL is doing nothing unreasonable. They're following protocol. A deadline is a deadline for a reason. They can't just start letting teams go past it because you're a fan of one of the teams and find it unreasonable that we weren't allowed to break the rules to get a deal done that would likely favor us.

The intent was there for both teams prior to the deadline. They are not allowing it because of a clerical error. There wasn't a thing different at 4:02. Nothing changed in the league that makes that 4:00 deadline strict. And even if it did there are many pieces to the trade puzzle that they should have just confirmed it by picking up a phone and calling the browns. This is being irrationally stubborn and it hurts the league. 

The argument for the deadline would make sense if both teams called at 4:03. But the intent was already there prior to 4:00. All you needed was confirmation.

Remind me wasn't there a trade like this a few years ago that got screwed up?

I wanna say it was the Elvis Dumerville trade that that was how he ended up on the Ravens because someone else screwed up.

Were we involved in a screwed up trade before?

12 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

The intent was there for both teams prior to the deadline. They are not allowing it because of a clerical error. There wasn't a thing different at 4:02. Nothing changed in the league that makes that 4:00 deadline strict. And even if it did there are many pieces to the trade puzzle that they should have just confirmed it by picking up a phone and calling the browns. This is being irrationally stubborn and it hurts the league. 

The argument for the deadline would make sense if both teams called at 4:03. But the intent was already there prior to 4:00. All you needed was confirmation.

Yeah but the league sets the deadline as a deadline for a reason. I'm not arguing that it isn't silly, like I don't see why there can't be a grace period for teams that are in negotiations or whatever, doesn't seem like it would hurt to me so that's not my argument.

I'm just saying the rules are in place and that's that. I can't say that the police officer is wrong for pulling me over going 48 in a 45 because 45 is the limit for a reason. Is my boss going to be cool with me walking in at 7:04 because I intended to come in at 7:00? It gets crazy if you start bending the rules.

4 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I wanna say it was the Elvis Dumerville trade that that was how he ended up on the Ravens because someone else screwed up.

Could be remembering incorrectly but I think it had something to do with TO.

15 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

for Dumerville it was him signing a deal with the broncos or them something like that.. it wasn't turned in on time and was nullified..then he signed with the rats

18 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Dumervil's was him attempting to fax his signed agreement (complete with pay-cut) to Denver from a Kinkos or something, but the fax never arrived.  Denver cut him rather than absorb his huge cap hit.

14 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Could be remembering incorrectly but I think it had something to do with TO.

As I outlined in an earlier post in this thread, TO's was his agent failing to void the final years of his contract in time, and thus his not becoming a free agent.  SF subsequently traded him to the Ravens.  The league allowed all of this to be undone and allowed him to sign where he wanted (Eagles) because he filed a grievance stating he would be out millions of dollars because he didn't get a chance to become a free agent, and it was his agent who f'ed up afterall *shrug*.

22 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I really have no sympathy for them missing the deadline.  Everyone knew what day and time it was MONTHS ago.  This is clearly the Brown's fault.  They wanted AJ, should have worked it out days ago.

Exactly. Why cut it that close?! Besides that ,machines break, phone lines can go down etc.

tumblr_nk1fwiE8yS1tkahdeo1_250.gif

It really is when you think about it.

I was not home all day yesterday, just got in and this is the first I have heard. 

Totally excellent thread and input from all.  No kidding.

Too bad it didn't happen.  Would have been a good deal all around as it stands now.

Except losing Mrs. McC.

Let's see how it plays out.  Meaning, God forbid, if Andy would get injured Sunday or etc.

we would have someone good to put in.  If McC was gone ... ???

Wonder if the trade is dead? (probably) of if there is an appeal?  Seems like there would be some

merit to it for Goodell because the trade would make the Browns instantly more interesting and more

viewers and fewer taking the kids to the zoo on Sunday.

Is there any way the Bengals can still trade him after the season?  If so, his market value has been established

and a bidding war could begin.

Whatever... on to Jacksonville.

WHO DEY

Archived