Bengals and Browns tried...

4 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

The intent was there for both teams prior to the deadline. They are not allowing it because of a clerical error. There wasn't a thing different at 4:02. Nothing changed in the league that makes that 4:00 deadline strict. And even if it did there are many pieces to the trade puzzle that they should have just confirmed it by picking up a phone and calling the browns. This is being irrationally stubborn and it hurts the league. 

The argument for the deadline would make sense if both teams called at 4:03. But the intent was already there prior to 4:00. All you needed was confirmation.

https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/2017-18-important-nfl-dates/

Oct. 31          All trading ends for 2017 at 4:00 p.m., New York time.

I have grandkids that go to a parochial grade school.  The rule is students have to be in the classroom when the morning bell rings at 8:30 am or they are tardy.

There is no "i intended to be there", the school doesn't call and ask if they are going to make it on time, nor do they make exceptions.

Now if grade school kids are expected to follow a simple rule about being on time, I really do not understand the whining for a group of professional adults failure to follow the "be on time" rule that they knew about since the beginning of the league year and the outcome. 

4 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/2017-18-important-nfl-dates/

I have grandkids that go to a parochial grade school.  The rule is students have to be in the classroom when the morning bell rings at 8:30 am or they are tardy.

There is no "i intended to be there", the school doesn't call and ask if they are going to make it on time, nor do they make exceptions.

Now if grade school kids are expected to follow a simple rule about being on time, I really do not understand the whining for a group of professional adults failure to follow the "be on time" rule that they knew about since the beginning of the league year and the outcome. 

Poor comparison.  They don't lock the children out of the school if they are one minute late.  They still let them attend school that day.

23 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

Kid is walking to the classroom and the principal stops him to talk to him. I can't believe how many people are making this argument so black and white. Life is not black and white. There is literally no reason at all to adhere to this rule. NONE. The NFL gains not a thing. There is evidence that both teams agreed before the deadline. All they had to do was make a phone call and say hey you didn't send in the proper paperwork do you want to do this. There were like 7 trades yesterday and one at the traded deadline. Who do they have working there? This is utter nonsense. 

27 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Poor comparison.  They don't lock the children out of the school if they are one minute late.  They still let them attend school that day.

Perfect example.  There is a rule that says be on time or suffer the consequences. It is pretty simple.

14 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Kid is walking to the classroom and the principal stops him to talk to him. I can't believe how many people are making this argument so black and white. Life is not black and white. There is literally no reason at all to adhere to this rule. NONE. The NFL gains not a thing. 

Then why have the rule? And their principal is at the front door every morning reminding kids not to be tardy.

8 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

-Gives away the house for Carson Palmer

-Excited to have RGIII as a QB

-Passes on Wentz

-Passes on Watson...twice!

-offers 2nd and 3rd for unproven QB.

Some of you guys want this guy to be the Bengals HC?  Are you nuts?  Good OC.  Way over his head in talent evaluation.

Can't argue with that, but who says Hue would be our OC and in charge of talent evaluation.  Duke Tobin does that now, and I forsee a future with Marvin stepping away from the sidelines but moving up into the front office.  Whether he takes over personnel matters or they remain with Tobin is to be seen, but with TWO qualified bubbas available to make those decisions I wouldn't see Hue assuming those duties.

21 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Kid is walking to the classroom and the principal stops him to talk to him. I can't believe how many people are making this argument so black and white. Life is not black and white. There is literally no reason at all to adhere to this rule. NONE. The NFL gains not a thing. There is evidence that both teams agreed before the deadline. All they had to do was make a phone call and say hey you didn't send in the proper paperwork do you want to do this. There were like 7 trades yesterday and one at the traded deadline. Who do they have working there? This is utter nonsense. 

Of course there is a reason.  They have to have a time and date when trading is no longer possible.   Imagine in week 13 your team is out of it but team X is playoff bound but desperately needs a corner or edge rusher.  You happen to have a great corner who will be an FA next year.  Easy trade.   Sorry but these are grown Billionaires.  If they can't meet a simple deadline then that is too bad.  They don't bring the airplane back to the terminal for someone who is 5 minutes late. 

1 hour ago, AmishBengalFan said:

Can't argue with that, but who says Hue would be our OC and in charge of talent evaluation.  Duke Tobin does that now, and I forsee a future with Marvin stepping away from the sidelines but moving up into the front office.  

I wonder about that.  I get the strong impression that ML has had enough of the Cincinnati Bengals, if not the NFL entirely.  

11 minutes ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Marvin has said several times that he has no interest moving to a front office role. I don't understand why people keep suggesting that will happen. I want Tobin to stay in place as the GM without the title and let him pick our next coach. 

Seemed obvious to me when he bought that big house in Phoenix that it was a retirement home.  Nobody wants to be in the valley during the NFL offseason when it's 120 degrees. 

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

Of course there is a reason.  They have to have a time and date when trading is no longer possible.   Imagine in week 13 your team is out of it but team X is playoff bound but desperately needs a corner or edge rusher.  You happen to have a great corner who will be an FA next year.  Easy trade.   Sorry but these are grown Billionaires.  If they can't meet a simple deadline then that is too bad.  They don't bring the airplane back to the terminal for someone who is 5 minutes late. 

1) Your first premise is wrong. You are ignoring the reality of the situation. The Bengals did what they were supposed to do. BEFORE THE DEADLINE. There is evidence. The Browns attempted to do what they were supposed to do. BEFORE THE DEADLINE. There is evidence. The Browns sought an appeal IMMEDIATELY. You are creating a strawman that isn't the reality here. It's not even as if the 2 teams called at 4:01 and said they had a deal can we still do it. To me I would still let it but that would make more sense. In this instance both teams have evidence of intent for a deal prior to the deadline. The League is using its discretion to not allow it. FOR NO REASON. They gain nothing. 

2) The plane has to leave. Nothing changes at 4:03 in regards to the trade. That's a bad example. The trade deadline is an arbitrary deadline. 

2 hours ago, westside bengal said:

Perfect example.  There is a rule that says be on time or suffer the consequences. It is pretty simple.

Then why have the rule? And their principal is at the front door every morning reminding kids not to be tardy.

Were dealing with adults here. If I am late for work I just make up the time. I am an adult. My boss is an adult. 

26 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

1) Your first premise is wrong. You are ignoring the reality of the situation. The Bengals did what they were supposed to do. BEFORE THE DEADLINE. There is evidence. The Browns attempted to do what they were supposed to do. BEFORE THE DEADLINE. There is evidence. The Browns sought an appeal IMMEDIATELY. You are creating a strawman that isn't the reality here. It's not even as if the 2 teams called at 4:01 and said they had a deal can we still do it. To me I would still let it but that would make more sense. In this instance both teams have evidence of intent for a deal prior to the deadline. The League is using its discretion to not allow it. FOR NO REASON. They gain nothing. 

2) The plane has to leave. Nothing changes at 4:03 in regards to the trade. That's a bad example. The trade deadline is an arbitrary deadline. 

You see... in the adult world there IS black and white many times.

I think that a major problem in this country today is that people WANT there to be gray areas and not so much black and white. Responsibility and adulting is hard, but it’s harder when you’re a dumbass.

Cleveland is a dumbass.

37 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

The League is using its discretion to not allow it. FOR NO REASON.

Dude.

No strawman, no semantics, no gotchas, no loopholes.

The trade deadline passed and the proper paperwork for a trade wasn't submitted by both teams on time. That's it. End of story. No "discretion" involved, and it was FOR A REASON. Because the fucking deadline passed.

Holy shit lol

7 hours ago, SF2 said:

I really have no sympathy for them missing the deadline.  Everyone knew what day and time it was MONTHS ago.  This is clearly the Brown's fault.  They wanted AJ, should have worked it out days ago.

Rumor has it Jimmy G was the guy they really wanted.  Then when he was traded focussed on AJ.  

So assuming he's tagged with a 1st rounder tender,  and assuming McGooch tries to fight his RFA status in arbitration or Thunderdome or whatever..  Is there any precedent indicating how it will play out? He was on the NFI most of his rookie year so it doesn't seem like he has much of a case.

Trade window will reopen on the first day of the 2018 league year (sometime in late February or early March). So he can be traded before the draft in theory. But he'll be a free agent, almost certainly a RFA. Bengals can give him a 1st round tender which would keep the Browns and most likely every other team from signing him in free agency. RFA period ends a week before the draft and assuming he signs his tender, Bengals can trade him before the draft for whatever they and another team agree to. Other team will want to speak with AJ and probably work out a new multi-year deal before trading for him. 

The 4 pm deadline was only for teams to indicate their intent to complete a deal. Teams actually have 15 days to wrap everything up since most deals are contingent on a player passing a physical exam with his new team. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Rumor has it Jimmy G was the guy they really wanted.  Then when he was traded focussed on AJ.  

Which is interesting given the Pats only got a 2nd for Garrapolo and we were poised to get a 2nd AND a 3rd for Cooter, when there is ZERo evidence that one is any better than the other. I think the Pats ran out of time, and we REALLY ran out of time.

It's a shame. We could have really shored up our offensive line with those additional early round picks bigtime.

On 10/31/2017 at 4:19 PM, omgdrdoom said:

I'd love to see the McCarron led Browns twice a year myself. 

Any specific reason you wouldn't want a division rival to be starting a good backup caliber QB? 

Because he's not a good backup caliber QB, I think he could be a good starting QB.. Personally, I think he's probably better than Dalton, and wished it would have been Dalton that was on the block. 

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

Dude.

No strawman, no semantics, no gotchas, no loopholes.

The trade deadline passed and the proper paperwork for a trade wasn't submitted by both teams on time. That's it. End of story. No "discretion" involved, and it was FOR A REASON. Because the fucking deadline passed.

Holy shit lol

The deadline is a meaningless arbitrary thing. There is zero reason why if two teams had obvious intent and evidence that it couldn't be oked. None. This black and white stuff is total nonsense. It's essentially saying you can't have a franchise QB because you didn't properly initial the backpage. Absolutely ludicrous and has nothing to do with the game. 

2 hours ago, USN Bengal said:

You see... in the adult world there IS black and white many times.

I think that a major problem in this country today is that people WANT there to be gray areas and not so much black and white. Responsibility and adulting is hard, but it’s harder when you’re a dumbass.

Cleveland is a dumbass.

That's not accurate at all. In a negotiation and situation like this there is completely gray area. Jeremy Lane can't pass a physical, ok we will work something out. There is zero need for black and white here. And as soon as someone says..."I think a major problem with the country today...." You can basically stop listening because the rest is just bashing people who don't believe your sunk in beliefs. 

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

So assuming he's tagged with a 1st rounder tender,  and assuming McGooch tries to fight his RFA status in arbitration or Thunderdome or whatever..  Is there any precedent indicating how it will play out? He was on the NFI most of his rookie year so it doesn't seem like he has much of a case.

From what I read before he has almost no chance of winning that and it would be a huge f u to us from the league. You can't have your 2nd and 3rd and you can't have the rights to McCarron. 

9 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

The 4 pm deadline was only for teams to indicate their intent to complete a deal. Teams actually have 15 days to wrap everything up since most deals are contingent on a player passing a physical exam with his new team. 

Do you have a source for this? It makes it even more nonsense. 

Damn dude, go get a safe room and a therapy animal... Cleveland fucked up like only Cleveland can do. It’s over and is in accord with protocols, rules, and procedures that everyone knows to follow.

Life ain’t fair, it’s even less fair when you’re stupid.

6 minutes ago, USN Bengal said:

Damn dude, go get a safe room and a therapy animal... Cleveland fucked up like only Cleveland can do. It’s over and is in accord with protocols, rules, and procedures that everyone knows to follow.

Life ain’t fair, it’s even less fair when you’re stupid.

I might just need one. I can't believe how many people are seeing this as such a simplistic thing. Browns dumb. Yet again.....When this one is clearly on the league. Thirty seconds late when intent was obvious and you get 2 weeks to figure out the details of the trade. That's absurd. 

Archived