Just how bad is this O-Line?

I saw this GIF over on Cincy Jungle and just had to post it. Dalton getting sacked by a 2 man rush... And one of those two "men" was Margus Hunt.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/rSwBl_fmKJsQQZpEkAZUAB45WqA=/0x0:958x538/720x0/filters:focal(0x0:958x538):gifv():no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/9579995/DaltonSacked.gif

The entire piece is worth looking at... Basically Dalton had 3 guys in his face on every play.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/11/2/16587386/bengals-film-room-offense-does-enough-to-scrape-by-colts

Recurring theme of Hopkins, Johnson, and/or Bodine getting abused in most gifs I see of people pointing out our OL troubles.

I've been extremely tough on Ogbuehi on here and this isn't saying that he's good, but I think Fisher, Bodine, and every RG we've tried sticking there has been worse than our LT situation for the past few weeks. The center/right side of our line could be historically bad this season.

6 minutes ago, Hooky said:

Aren't the colts just as bad? And they stuffed us.

Exactly . I don't think they will be able to impose their will and just run the ball. Critical to be creative with play calling. Doesn't have to be tricky but be fast paced and aggressive. If not hurry up at least be back to the line with no less than 15 seconds left on playclock.

53 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

You would think the Oline man would be working extra time non-stop trying to fix their issues, they have no know they suck.

Oh, they know.  Only not a lot they can do about it.

Alexander's schemes and efforts (lack thereof, actually) to shore up the line are not working.

Ya gotta dance with who brung ya and Alexander ain't doin' nuthin' to make her look any purtier.

2 hours ago, Hooky said:

Aren't the colts just as bad? And they stuffed us.

Kind of.   Jags rush defense is ranked 32 but pass defense is #1.  Colts rush defense is 19th but pass defense is 31st. 

We couldn't do anything against a very average Colt's run defense, no reason to think we will do much better against.  We certainly don't want Andy trying to throw the ball 40 times,..that would be bad. 

25 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Kind of.   Jags rush defense is ranked 32 but pass defense is #1.  Colts rush defense is 19th but pass defense is 31st. 

We couldn't do anything against a very average Colt's run defense, no reason to think we will do much better against.  We certainly don't want Andy trying to throw the ball 40 times,..that would be bad. 

We have him throw before he has to throw if you know what I mean. :23:

49 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

In all honesty, they simply look confused.

As if no one knows who to block or what the blocking assignments are.

Saying that they are pathetic is being kind.

this.. I don't know how many times in the last few weeks I have seen Bodine or either of the guards pick the wrong guy to block and leave someone a free path straight in to the backfield...

4 hours ago, fluhartz said:

this.. I don't know how many times in the last few weeks I have seen Bodine or either of the guards pick the wrong guy to block and leave someone a free path straight in to the backfield...

These guys may be the dumbest O-line in the league.  I'm not trying to pump Alexander's tires, but he's been coaching a while and I've never seen an o-line for the Bengals as clueless as this one seems to be.  Part of that is on the players, in particular the player that is in charge of calling out the assignments.  Traditionally that is the center if I am not mistaken.  It's been a long time since the Bengals have had a center that doesn't suck ass. 

56 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

These guys may be the dumbest O-line in the league.  I'm not trying to pump Alexander's tires, but he's been coaching a while and I've never seen an o-line for the Bengals as clueless as this one seems to be.  Part of that is on the players, in particular the player that is in charge of calling out the assignments.  Traditionally that is the center if I am not mistaken.  It's been a long time since the Bengals have had a center that doesn't suck ass. 

they didn't pick themselves 

3 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

they didn't pick themselves 

True enough.  Wondering how much influence coaches have on process for the Bengals.

Until Duke Tobin arrived it was a bunch!  The coaches used to all go to the all-star games etc to evaluate talent.  Who knows what happens now.

16 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

Jeezus H how can Bodine possibly switch off his original angle in that scenario?  I shouldn't be surprised, Bodine especially does this a LOT, if you pay attention to him.  Dude has pretty much zero awareness in pass pro.

Seems like every other play at least one guy on the OL is standing around holding his dick when the whistle blows.  I'm not an Assistant Head Coach or anything but I have to guess that blocking the wrong somebody is better than blocking nobody?

Archived