McCarron files grievance.

Against the Bengals on the status of him being a restricted free agent. He hasn't accrued enough time because he didn't play enough games when the Bengals shut him down his rookie year.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21286767/aj-mccarron-files-grievance-vs-cincinnati-bengals-wants-unrestricted-free-agent-2018

A bit of a different tune than the one he was singing in the locker room after the botched trade. I dont see how he wins this with a league that takes player safety "seriously" but it's the Bengals so who knows. They'll probably lose and A.J. walks at the end of the year as the Bengals end up with a 5th round comp pick the following draft. Lol. 

McCarron has every right to file a grievance over his free agent status, but whether he succeeds is another matter.  The fact that he was placed on the NFI list prevented him from accruing a season on his rookie contract.  The shoulder injury appeared to be legitimate from what I've read and the decision to allow him to rest and recover seems medically reasonable.   He did participate in some off season practices prior to training camp that year and I'm unsure how that could factor into the arbitration case.  My best guess is that the Bengals will win, but I won't be shocked if they don't. 

Whether he's restricted or not, I think he'll be playing somewhere next season. He might be playing sometime this season. Obviously this is the best chance for him but the fan in me hopes he loses and that the Bengals have a shot at getting something worthwhile back for him.

He wasn't on the roster so it didn't count as an accrued season.  This has to happen often enough to where it should be a simple "No".   Then again...

I won't be at all surprised if we get shafted but the NFL should tell him to go ahead and grieve

:cry-min:

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

He wasn't on the roster so it didn't count as an accrued season.  This has to happen often enough to where it should be a simple "No".   Then again...

I won't be at all surprised if we get shafted but the NFL should tell him to go ahead and grieve

:cry-min:

The issue is, he claims he could have played and the Bengals kept him on ir unnecessarily.

9 minutes ago, schotzee said:

I was reading on insidethepylon website. I think is 6.

That's what I'm finding as well; an accrued season is 6 games.  IR would counts, but NFI doesn't & you miss the first 6 games automatically.

I think it's likely to go our way not out of any NFL love for the Bengals, but because of the precedent it would set for free agents to second-guess the team doctors in the future.  If all they need to do is find a Doc willing to say they were healthy...

Archived