Top 5 Draft Needs at Midseason

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/11/4/16587928/top-5-bengals-draft-needs-midway-through-season

The Bengals early season has not gone as well as many hoped it would before the season. They have failed to be dominant on offense with no receivers not named A.J. Green stepping up. Also, the run game has failed to be established, and Joe Mixonhas yet to be handed the kind of featured role he deserves. The offensive line has been just as bad as many people thought it would be and the Bengals still have failed to cover RBs or TEs at all. It isn’t all bad as the Bengals newly added pass rushers have looked good and so has Joe Mixon when he has gotten the chance to play. John Ross still has plenty of time to show he was worthy of the pick, and the offensive tackles could theoretically turn it around. However, the Bengals should certainly be looking towards the draft and figuring out the positions they should be targeting.

1. Offensive tackle

Now this one is certainly one that could change before the draft rolls around. Jake Fisher and Cedric Ogbuehi are still young players that haven’t been around for the longest time so could still theoretically grow. However, the way they’ve looked so far definitely hasn’t been a good sign for their future development. The upcoming class doesn’t look to be the best class to draft an offensive tackle, but it is certainly a position of high need for the Bengals. Some players they could look at are Connor Williams of Texas and Mike McGlinchey of Notre Dame.

2. Center

Russell Bodine has been with Cincinnati for what seems like forever, and it may finally be time to move on. The starters contract runs out after this season, and with how his play has been throughout his tenure here it might be a good idea to let him walk and look to the draft for a replacement. Even if he's resigned, the Bengals need to look at upgrading him this coming draft. Some options include Billy Price of Ohio State and Mason Cole at Michigan.

3. Tight end

Tyler Eifert was a fantastic player in Cincinnati when he was actually able to play that is, which was rarely. Now after his latest injury and with his impending free agency the Bengals may be looking to replace him. If he is not retained the Bengals should look to what is shaping up to be an interesting tight end class to draft a long-term solution. Some options include Troy Fumagalli of Wisconsin and Mark Andrews of Oklahoma.

4. Defensive tackle

Geno Atkins is easily one of the best defensive tackles in the league and has been for awhile now. However, Atkins will be 30 going into next season, and his contract will run out after the 2018 season. I am not saying we are drafting his replacement, but also none of the defensive tackles we have drafted other than Atkins have really worked out. Glasgow has had a solid start to the season, but there are some great looking defensive tackles coming out in this coming draft potentially, and the Bengals should look at the available players. Some of the players I’m talking about are Christian Wilkins of Clemson and Taven Bryan of Florida.

5. Quarterback

I know some will definitely disagree with this one, giving Andy Dalton a chance to prove himself once again after the offensive line is upgraded. However, to me, I ideally don’t think this team will be picking top ten often like they may be this coming draft. So if the team has what they believe is a chance to upgrade the most important position, then they should do it. I haven’t completely broken down the draft prospects at quarterback for the coming draft, but there are certainly some interesting players coming out. If the Bengals believe one of the quarterbacks coming out will be an upgrade they have to take the chance. Some interesting players at the position are Lamar Jackson of Louisville and Sam Darnold of USC.

1. LT -- CO isn't the answer -- biggest weakness on the team

2. C -- Bodine is terrible and I believe the reason we can't run inside

3. RT -- Fisher is terrible

4. RG -- Hopkins/backup -- not sure if they're bad b/c of who they're surrounded by or if they're just bad

5. TE -- Eifert isn't reliable and even if he plays somewhere next year will he be the same player?  Andy needs a big target in the middle of the field and someone that can help block in the run game.

5 hours ago, High School Harry said:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/11/4/16587928/top-5-bengals-draft-needs-midway-through-season

The Bengals early season has not gone as well as many hoped it would before the season. They have failed to be dominant on offense with no receivers not named A.J. Green stepping up. Also, the run game has failed to be established, and Joe Mixonhas yet to be handed the kind of featured role he deserves. The offensive line has been just as bad as many people thought it would be and the Bengals still have failed to cover RBs or TEs at all. It isn’t all bad as the Bengals newly added pass rushers have looked good and so has Joe Mixon when he has gotten the chance to play. John Ross still has plenty of time to show he was worthy of the pick, and the offensive tackles could theoretically turn it around. However, the Bengals should certainly be looking towards the draft and figuring out the positions they should be targeting.

1. Offensive tackle

Now this one is certainly one that could change before the draft rolls around. Jake Fisher and Cedric Ogbuehi are still young players that haven’t been around for the longest time so could still theoretically grow. However, the way they’ve looked so far definitely hasn’t been a good sign for their future development. The upcoming class doesn’t look to be the best class to draft an offensive tackle, but it is certainly a position of high need for the Bengals. Some players they could look at are Connor Williams of Texas and Mike McGlinchey of Notre Dame.

2. Center

Russell Bodine has been with Cincinnati for what seems like forever, and it may finally be time to move on. The starters contract runs out after this season, and with how his play has been throughout his tenure here it might be a good idea to let him walk and look to the draft for a replacement. Even if he's resigned, the Bengals need to look at upgrading him this coming draft. Some options include Billy Price of Ohio State and Mason Cole at Michigan.

3. Tight end

Tyler Eifert was a fantastic player in Cincinnati when he was actually able to play that is, which was rarely. Now after his latest injury and with his impending free agency the Bengals may be looking to replace him. If he is not retained the Bengals should look to what is shaping up to be an interesting tight end class to draft a long-term solution. Some options include Troy Fumagalli of Wisconsin and Mark Andrews of Oklahoma.

4. Defensive tackle

Geno Atkins is easily one of the best defensive tackles in the league and has been for awhile now. However, Atkins will be 30 going into next season, and his contract will run out after the 2018 season. I am not saying we are drafting his replacement, but also none of the defensive tackles we have drafted other than Atkins have really worked out. Glasgow has had a solid start to the season, but there are some great looking defensive tackles coming out in this coming draft potentially, and the Bengals should look at the available players. Some of the players I’m talking about are Christian Wilkins of Clemson and Taven Bryan of Florida.

5. Quarterback

I know some will definitely disagree with this one, giving Andy Dalton a chance to prove himself once again after the offensive line is upgraded. However, to me, I ideally don’t think this team will be picking top ten often like they may be this coming draft. So if the team has what they believe is a chance to upgrade the most important position, then they should do it. I haven’t completely broken down the draft prospects at quarterback for the coming draft, but there are certainly some interesting players coming out. If the Bengals believe one of the quarterbacks coming out will be an upgrade they have to take the chance. Some interesting players at the position are Lamar Jackson of Louisville and Sam Darnold of USC.

i agree w/ you in general...

but this O-line sucks so bad....i'd like to spend EVERY pick we have on offensive lineman.....

blow it up & replace them all....

4 hours ago, esjbh2 said:

1) LT

2) LG

3) C

4) RG

5) RT

I'd look for a decent FA (maybe at RT) & draft a LT in the first.  I'd spend another pick in the 2nd-4th round range on an interior guy (there should be at least a couple of 3rd/4th RD. comp picks).  I draft a G/T in the later rounds and I'd look for decent 2nd-Tier Journeyman-Type in FA.  I would literally bring in fresh bodies to compete at every OL spot. 

Unless there's a short-term, incentive-laden deal with Eifert, I'd look for a mid-round TE.  If he comes out, CJ Conrad of UK could be a sleeper pick.

After that, BPA

None of it makes any difference if this staff (especially Lewis/Alexander) are still on the sidelines

They need a new disciplinarian HC with a solid OL coach.

I'd shitcan the Mike & Katie show too, but that ain't happening, so...

5 hours ago, esjbh2 said:

1) LT

2) LG

3) C

4) RG

5) RT

I think Boling would be fine surrounded by competent players.

Here's the real question.  If we are picking in the top 5 do you take a LT or a QB?  Especially with a new coaching staff?

3 hours ago, Bunghole said:

1) WR (injured)

2) WR (who can return punts)

3) WR (who was a former QB)

4) WR (Who can operate coffee maker)

5) WR (who can wax Lumina)

They'll never be able to stop our seven wideout sets!

Fixed.

5 hours ago, snarkster said:

I'd look for a decent FA (maybe at RT) & draft a LT in the first.  I'd spend another pick in the 2nd-4th round range on an interior guy (there should be at least a couple of 3rd/4th RD. comp picks).  I draft a G/T in the later rounds and I'd look for decent 2nd-Tier Journeyman-Type in FA.  I would literally bring in fresh bodies to compete at every OL spot. 

Unless there's a short-term, incentive-laden deal with Eifert, I'd look for a mid-round TE.  If he comes out, CJ Conrad of UK could be a sleeper pick.

After that, BPA

None of it makes any difference if this staff (especially Lewis/Alexander) are still on the sidelines

They need a new disciplinarian HC with a solid OL coach.

I'd shitcan the Mike & Katie show too, but that ain't happening, so...

Stealers backup RT might fit us well. 

Yeah, the reality is that every position on the offensive line needs to be upgraded. Throw in two of the three linebacker positions, WR and to a degree DT, TE and QB  and it's looking like a tall order to fix this team quickly. I have little doubt that they need to spend significant free agency dollars to fix the line. It can't just be completed through the draft. I know this isn't the Bengals modus operandi but, it's the reality.

48 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Yeah, the reality is that every position on the offensive line needs to be upgraded. Throw in two of the three linebacker positions, WR and to a degree DT, TE and QB  and it's looking like a tall order to fix this team quickly. I have little doubt that they need to spend significant free agency dollars to fix the line. It can't just be completed through the draft. I know this isn't the Bengals modus operandi but, it's the reality.

The reality is you need 1st and 2nd round picks to be passable starters at some point.  You can't use a top 50 pick on a player that can not play professional football at an AVERAGE level or greater. 

Archived