The Good, Bad and Putrid: Jacksonville. Lets get it over with

Good: (Ok, I am really reaching) 

No turnovers?

Only 2 sacks/Andy didn't die

Tyler Kroft nice reception.

Bad: Nothing

Putrid: 

Horrific running game against #31 rushing defense. 29 FUCKING YARDS on 17 carries? Take out Mixon TD run, 22 yards on 16 carries.

1-8 on third down.

Time of Possession Cin 19:46  Jax 40:14  Is this a record?

Cin 8 first downs Jax 26

Cin 148 yards Jax 407

AJ Green goes apeshit.  I get that Ramsey did a punk move but seriously?? Going MMA and punching his helmet with your fist?

Defense sucked.

Blake Bortles had 2X the passing yards Andy had.

Marvin Lewis once again has lost this team.

GOOD
Defense only gave up 16 points
Redzone defense was solid once again

Tyler Kroft

Lawson continues to get pressure on the QB
AJ Green goes fucking nuts
The Bengals tried to stick to a "bellcow" RB approach

BAD
JAX was 12/18 on third down. They were converting long, short, intermediate... it didn't matter
Andy Dalton

Marvin Lewis

UGLY
The Bengals now officially have the worst running game in the NFL

The offensive line

I understand the record for TOP is 45:07 so...this game was in the area of a record breaker.

1 hour ago, BengalFanInTO said:

GOOD
Defense only gave up 16 points

As bad as I felt about the defense yesterday (and still do) they DID only give up 16 points while being on the field for a whopping 40 minutes.

Fix this offense and we're light years better

38 minutes ago, HOF dan said:

As bad as I felt about the defense yesterday (and still do) they DID only give up 16 points while being on the field for a whopping 40 minutes.

Fix this offense and we're light years better

Yeah but 12 of 18 on third down is what it is.  66% conversion rate was 16 points better than any other team week 8. It was Blake Bortles not Tom Brady.  I can't even imagine what I would be posting if I was drunk right now.

7 hours ago, SF2 said:

Yeah but 12 of 18 on third down is what it is.  66% conversion rate was 16 points better than any other team week 8. It was Blake Bortles not Tom Brady.  I can't even imagine what I would be posting if I was drunk right now.

Absolutely agree with this. That's why I worry for the defense as well. Not really anything to put in the "good" category this week.

16 minutes ago, Passepartout said:

Yeah as really it is the defense that need to win them the games. Not just offense.

Dude, the point others are making is that regardless of the multiplicity of first downs by the Jags, AND their whopping time of possession, our defense played well enough to win because the scoreboard is the only thing that matters. Our defense has ALREADY been carrying this team all season long.

The absolutely putrid? This guy: http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/videos/Lewis-News-Conference-116/6293673a-78b1-495c-ac58-4b4cdd4360e5

The following is from a Fantasy website, but I thought the author was particularly insightful:

It is almost impossible to evaluate Dalton’s play in this type of game. Jacksonville’s outstanding defensive line dominated Cincinnati’s struggling offensive line and Dalton was under constant pressure. He did well to take just two sacks and avoid turning the ball over. The situation is especially dire at the offensive tackle spots, where veteran right tackle Andre Smith struggles against the speed rush and left tackle Cedric Ogbuehi continues to be a massive liability. Ogbuehi was put on skates by Jacksonville bull rushes on multiple occasions, causing the pocket to instantly collapse. Dalton also had to play the second half without his top playmaker, A.J. Green, who was thrown out for fighting. Dalton has always been a below-average quarterback when facing pressure. Behind this offensive line, expect him to struggle mightily against any team with a solid pass rush.

Truth.

31 minutes ago, AmishBengalFan said:

The following is from a Fantasy website, but I thought the author was particularly insightful:

Truth.

Eh, it's not really the "truth" because Andy hasn't always been below average under pressure. In 2015 he was in the upper half of the league (11th IIRC) out of 30+ QBs under pressure, so that immediately makes that statement false.

No doubt a weakness in his game is his performance when the defense is getting near him though. With our current OL I don't know how anyone could expect very many QBs to perform well, and we happen to have a guy that gets rattled under heavy defensive pressure to boot. This season is what it is, hopefully the FO addresses the issues for next year.

Archived