2018 Coaching prospects

1 hour ago, BengalBuck said:

I don't think Hue failed with the Raiders at all. That team was absolute garbage before he got there and he got them to .500 in a single season. The new owner didn't like the way he did things is what really happened, wanted his own guy I guess.

True, I wouldn't put much stock in being fired by this man:

mark-davis.jpg

He looks like someone who probably killed a guy while driving drunk and had his Daddy buy his way out of it. 

1 hour ago, BengalBuck said:

I don't think Hue failed with the Raiders at all. That team was absolute garbage before he got there and he got them to .500 in a single season. The new owner didn't like the way he did things is what really happened, wanted his own guy I guess.

Hue should have stayed put in Cincy, because he hurt himself and the Bengals by leaving for that dumpster fire in cleveburgh.

This.

16 hours ago, BengalBuck said:

Hue should have stayed put in Cincy, because he hurt himself and the Bengals by leaving for that dumpster fire in cleveburgh.

I realize that the Browns were a complete train wreck when Hue arrived, but he has been there two years and they have not gotten any better.  He has had basically 4 years worth of high draft picks (4 first rounders and 15 in the first four rounds) and they still can not win a single game.

I realize that there biggest problem is with the single most important potition, quarterback, but if Hue was an elite coach the team would be at least a little more competative by now.

18 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

For everybody that thinks it's a 100% chance that Marvin is gone, isn't that the same thing we all thought in 2010? Just throwing that out there.

Yea, but it's now been 15 years. Not 100 % for me but I think definitely better than 50% he won't be back as HC.

On 11/12/2017 at 9:32 AM, fredtoast said:

if Hue was an elite coach the team would be at least a little more competative by now.

Even a team completely lacking in talent doesn't make the stupid mistakes the Browns keep making. Cleveland has 23 pre-snap penalties this year. Even with our disastrous O-Line we've managed to keep that to 16.

I could take a group of 11 year olds and at least teach them to line up properly and not false start.

39 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Yea, but it's now been 15 years. Not 100 % for me but I think definitely better than 50% he won't be back as HC.

Oh I do believe that this year is the most likely in quite some time that he'll actually go elsewhere or just retire, but I'm thinking back and I also thought he would have been anywhere but Cincinnati after 2010 and then let go after 2013 as well. Add 2015 to the list actually but I kinda figured the whole "our QB was injured" card would be played even though that was the biggest meltdown I've seen in the playoffs and you have to hold the coaching staff responsible for that as much (if not more) than the players.

I'm just saying that we've been here at least one other time before, it's not a guarantee Marvin is gone just because he doesn't have an extension already. We won what, 4 games that year (2010)? Our franchise QB decides he'd rather sit on his couch than play another snap for Mike Brown? Hey Marvin, here's an extension! I dunno, I have this weird feeling that we aren't seeing the last of Marv even though a lot of signs point that direction.

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

Seems to have a rough personality. Won't mesh with the Brown family. 

Sucks to their offended fee-fees, but (like HueJ) I could see him unleashing fail trying to reinvent the game.  I would kind of prefer someone that's famous among other coaches rather than in the media? Not that you can't be both, but I've been told they won't pay Gruden.

On 11/17/2017 at 1:40 PM, omgdrdoom said:

I'm just saying that we've been here at least one other time before,

No we have not been here before.

In 2010 Marvin was offered an extension before the season and turned it down.

This time he was never offered an extension.

On 11/20/2017 at 9:38 AM, fredtoast said:

No we have not been here before.

In 2010 Marvin was offered an extension before the season and turned it down.

This time he was never offered an extension.

He coached the team for an entire year without a contract (something people act like hasn't happened before), we won 4 games that year and he was handed an extension.

The point is that there isn't an exact science for if Mike will/won't give Marv extensions, there's no guarantee he isn't our coach after this year. You, of all people, should understand that you can't predict something like this with 100% accuracy. There's a very real chance Marvin Lewis is our HC in 2018.

2 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

He coached the team for an entire year without a contract (something people act like hasn't happened before), we won 4 games that year and he was handed an extension.

The point is that there isn't an exact science for if Mike will/won't give Marv extensions, there's no guarantee he isn't our coach after this year. You, of all people, should understand that you can't predict something like this with 100% accuracy. There's a very real chance Marvin Lewis is our HC in 2018.

Nothing is 100%, but if Mike did not even offer an extension after last year what in the world would make him offer one after this season?

Also here is something to chew on.  If we had hired a new coach for the 2011 season and his results had been exactly the same as Marvin he would have been a hero around here.  Definitely would have been NFL Coach of the Year in 2011 for taking a team many considered the worst in the leagu to the playoffs.

A couple of nuggets and borderline rumor stuff for food for thought...

Yeah, Marvin did bring the team to respectability but, to me, seemed to peak and level off.  I am still seeing the same flaws with the team that have always been there and little or no change. (Please, Fred, spare me the stats to the contrary).  Lack of motivation, playing down to the level of the other team, poor clock management, no halftime adjustments, not prepared/players not into it (ie Lawson's two off side penalties, too many presnap brain farts), sometimes seemingly playing protect the lead/ not finishing the game/letting up when we get the lead, etc.  He has improved with the challenges but stupid time outs early in the game still occur.  I could say drafting and using players (John Ross healthy inactive).  No, not all his fault but his fingers, as head coach, are in all the pies and at least on field he is where the buck stops.  For as much as I bash him, I genuinely like the guy and wish him nothing but the best but think his time as head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals has ended.  A time for a fresh start at that position all the way around.

One of the talking heads said Mike Zimmer's abrasive personality is beginning to grate in Minnesota.  He may be on thinner ice than thought.  Just passing it along, 100% hear say and speculation from someone else.  Would Mike Brown bring the same abrasive personality back here?  Who knows?

The speculation that Vance Joseph is losing his popularity in Denver and with the living saint, John Elway.  Losing to us at home did nothing to improve his popularity.  If fired, would he be brought back here?  I would hope so.

The key thing about both is ties to the Brown family and familiarity with the team and organization.  Both have that.  Being fired elsewhere and brought in here would make them beholding to the Brown family ala Forrest Greg (my all time favorite Bengal coach) and we see how that worked out.

Before Sunday's game I caught a pregame interview with long forgotten Brock Gutierrez (yes, I surfed up the correct spelling of his name).   He was talking about Paul Alexander with whom he has a good and long relationship.  Paul recruited him for college ball.  Good guy, excellent coach, etc. but ... time may be passing him by and maybe not as in tune with the game today.  I found this an interesting comment from someone who would know.  Maybe being noticed in the Inner Sanctum, too.

Move along from Marvin and Paul, bring in Vance or possibly even Zimmer and some more new blood without blowing up the entire staff would  be good, imho, and maybe even acceptable to MikeandKatie.

On a personal note, they are going to have to do something major and progressive or I am not renewing my season tickets.  Not boycotting or anything like that, but simply not worth the bang for my entertainment buck the way things are now.

6 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Yeah, Marvin did bring the team to respectability but, to me, seemed to peak and level off.  I am still seeing the same flaws with the team that have always been there and little or no change. (Please, Fred, spare me the stats to the contrary).  Lack of motivation, playing down to the level of the other team, poor clock management, no halftime adjustments, not prepared/players not into it (ie Lawson's two off side penalties, too many presnap brain farts), sometimes seemingly playing protect the lead/ not finishing the game/letting up when we get the lead, etc.  He has improved with the challenges but stupid time outs early in the game still occur.  I could say drafting and using players (John Ross healthy inactive).  No, not all his fault but his fingers, as head coach, are in all the pies and at least on field he is where the buck stops.  For as much as I bash him, I genuinely like the guy and wish him nothing but the best but think his time as head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals has ended.  A time for a fresh start at that position all the way around.

One of the talking heads said Mike Zimmer's abrasive personality is beginning to grate in Minnesota.  He may be on thinner ice than thought.  Just passing it along, 100% hear say and speculation from someone else.  Would Mike Brown bring the same abrasive personality back here?  Who knows?

The speculation that Vance Joseph is losing his popularity in Denver and with the living saint, John Elway.  Losing to us at home did nothing to improve his popularity.  If fired, would he be brought back here?  I would hope so.

The key thing about both is ties to the Brown family and familiarity with the team and organization.  Both have that.  Being fired elsewhere and brought in here would make them beholding to the Brown family ala Forrest Greg (my all time favorite Bengal coach) and we see how that worked out.

Before Sunday's game I caught a pregame interview with long forgotten Brock Gutierrez (yes, I surfed up the correct spelling of his name).   He was talking about Paul Alexander with whom he has a good and long relationship.  Paul recruited him for college ball.  Good guy, excellent coach, etc. but ... time may be passing him by and maybe not as in tune with the game today.  I found this an interesting comment from someone who would know.  Maybe being noticed in the Inner Sanctum, too.

Move along from Marvin and Paul, bring in Vance or possibly even Zimmer and some more new blood without blowing up the entire staff would  be good, imho, and maybe even acceptable to MikeandKatie.

On a personal note, they are going to have to do something major and progressive or I am not renewing my season tickets.  Not boycotting or anything like that, but simply not worth the bang for my entertainment buck the way things are now.

Excellent post Harry, I mostly agree. The only thing I would have to think though, is that unless it is the owner or gm that dislikes Zimmer's abrasiveness, I would have to say he isn't going anywhere. Unless they totally flop the rest of the year?!

52 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

One of the talking heads said Mike Zimmer's abrasive personality is beginning to grate in Minnesota.  He may be on thinner ice than thought.  Just passing it along, 100% hear say and speculation from someone else.  Would Mike Brown bring the same abrasive personality back here?  Who knows?The speculation that Vance Joseph is losing his popularity in Denver and with the living saint, John Elway.  Losing to us at home did nothing to improve his popularity.  If fired, would he be brought back here?  I would hope so.

If Vance Joseph is fired I think he gets a long look at the HC job if Marvin doesn't return. I know MB thought very highly of him when he was here and even blocked him from interviewing for other jobs because he wanted him to stay, however I don't know if Joseph would want to come back to Cincy after what MB did to him.

As for Paul Alexander, I agree that it's time look elsewhere. I would love to see the Bengals bring in former Bengals great Willie Anderson if he's interested, I know he is coaching young kids across the country on how to play OT at a high level. http://www.willieandersonlinemanacademy.net/

This is where should have been last off season instead of getting beat up by Jay Glazer in some MMA bootcamp. 

I doubt Joseph gets fired after just one season, especially since he did not have a QB. Turnovers have killed the Broncos this year.  They rank 31st in most turnovers by their offense and 31st in fewest turnovers forced by their defense (which is still #3 in yards allowed).  The Bengal game was a microcosm of their entire season.  We were held to less than 200 yards on offense and only won the game because of turnovers.

Also don't think Zimmer will be fired.  No one cares about "abrasive" when the team is winning, and the Vikings are starting to look like on of the best teams in the league.

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

I doubt Joseph gets fired after just one season, especially since he did not have a QB. Turnovers have killed the Broncos this year.  They rank 31st in most turnovers by their offense and 31st in fewest turnovers forced by their defense (which is still #3 in yards allowed).  The Bengal game was a microcosm of their entire season.  We were held to less than 200 yards on offense and only won the game because of turnovers.

Also don't think Zimmer will be fired.  No one cares about "abrasive" when the team is winning, and the Vikings are starting to look like on of the best teams in the league.

Joseph's OC was fired and the EVP of Football Operations/GM called his team soft after their 7 consecutive loss, that isn't a ringing endorsement. 

On 11/12/2017 at 9:32 AM, fredtoast said:

I realize that the Browns were a complete train wreck when Hue arrived, but he has been there two years and they have not gotten any better.  He has had basically 4 years worth of high draft picks (4 first rounders and 15 in the first four rounds) and they still can not win a single game.

I realize that there biggest problem is with the single most important potition, quarterback, but if Hue was an elite coach the team would be at least a little more competative by now.

As much as it hurts, gotta agree.  Hue isn't as good as Marvin so I see no reason to get him. Hell, Marvin took a 2-14 team to 8-8 in a year.

On 11/9/2017 at 11:29 AM, GoBengals said:

worst possible outcome..

the guy is a tool, he knows nothing of head coaching.. they STILL tell horror stories of him being here in denver on the radio.. he was a cuntr to everyone, acted like his shit didnt stink, thought he could out think everyone, drafted tim fucking tebow, a complete and utter nightmare... 

that would damn near kill my will to even watch the bengals games...  its been on thin ice for two years now already..

So that is a firm no on Josh Daniels?

20 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Joseph's OC was fired and the EVP of Football Operations/GM called his team soft after their 7 consecutive loss, that isn't a ringing endorsement. 

Can't blame Joseph for the team being soft.  He has just been there one season and 90% of the roster is the same as last season.

Archived