2018 Coaching prospects

8 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Sorry USN.  We are not allowed to mention what has happened before this year.

Your are being such a whiny bitch.  Ok, lets only talk about this year,.. Andy Dalton can't score points in the second half of games... time to find a franchise QB.  "But all the 4th quarter comebacks in 2014,...Derp"

Hey USN, are you going to the NFL 4th quarter comeback award presentation this year?   I think the winner gets a Ham Sandwich and $5 off at Jiffy Lube.

7 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Your are being such a whiny bitch.  Ok, lets only talk about this year,.. Andy Dalton can't score points in the second half of games... time to find a franchise QB.  "But all the 4th quarter comebacks in 2014,...Derp"

In 2005 Brett Favre threw 29 interceptions (highest total in the last 40 years), had a 70.9 passer rating, and the Packers won only 4 games.

Got to ignore everything he had done before that and replace him the next season, right?  Nothing he had done before that season meant anything, correct?

BTW sorry to upset you with that stat about all the previous success Andy has had bring the Bengals from behind in the fourth quarter.  I know how bad it hurts you to hear anything good about the Bengals.  Especially something that crushes your dreams of a team that could never come back because they always gave up when they fell behind.  I am sure you have worked hard to block all of those comebacks from your memory.  But trying to mock and make fun of them will not make them disappear from history.

57 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

In 2005 Brett Favre threw 29 interceptions (highest total in the last 40 years), had a 70.9 passer rating, and the Packers won only 4 games.

Got to ignore everything he had done before that and replace him the next season, right?  Nothing he had done before that season meant anything, correct?

BTW sorry to upset you with that stat about all the previous success Andy has had bring the Bengals from behind in the fourth quarter.  I know how bad it hurts you to hear anything good about the Bengals.  Especially something that crushes your dreams of a team that could never come back because they always gave up when they fell behind.  I am sure you have worked hard to block all of those comebacks from your memory.  But trying to mock and make fun of them will not make them disappear from history.

Your right, Andy Dalton is great, particularly in the 4th quarter of playoff games.  Winning.

You want to know what success is?  By 2005 Brett Favre has already been a 1st Team All Pro player 3 times, pro bowler 6 times, 11-9 in the playoffs, was 2-1 in NFC Championship games, had won a Superbowl and was already on his way to Canton. 

So your really want to talk about the past?

In seven seasons Andy is 0-4 in the playoffs, 1td /6 ints /4 fumbles/ 57.8 rating and a grand total of THREE 4th quarter points.  Oh yeah,  SIX total second half points in 4 playoff games.   Pretty easy to forget a few regular season comebacks when this is your playoff resume.  Good thing is he won't lose any playoff games or embarrass himself this year. 

"But, but, but  Favre threw 29 interceptions in 2005!!!"  Pathetic.

7 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Pretty easy to forget a few regular season comebacks when this is your playoff resume.

Not for me.  I am capable of remembering both the good and bad.  It is only "easy" to forget big victories if you obsess on shitting on the Bengals and actually work hard to erase the good things from your memory. 

Seriously, who just "forgets" some of the biggest victories of their favorite team?  I'll tell you who. People who love to bitch and whine more than win.  People whose most valued possession is their victim card.

41 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Not for me.  I am capable of remembering both the good and bad.  It is only "easy" to forget if you obsess on shitting on the Bengals and actually work hard to erase the good things from your memory. 

Seriously, who just "forgets" some of the biggest victories of their favorite team?  I'll tell you who. People who love to bitch and whine more than win.  People whose most valued possession is their victim card.

Well, they are not BIG victories.  Only someone who accepts mediocrity would describe these as some of the "biggest" victories.  Its pretty sad when ALL of your favorite team's "biggest" victories in the last 27 years occurred during the the regular season.    

I mean seriously, you get all worked up about a regular season win against Seattle?  Seattle fans don't even know we exist.  They had just won the Superbowl.

We beat New England in 2013, it was one of our top 3 wins this decade.  Since that game the Patriots have won 9 playoff games, played in 5 AFC Championship games and have won 2 Super Bowls the last an amazing 4th quarter comeback and overtime victory last year.  But, but  we beat them once,..Andy Dalton was awesome, got us 13 points in that home game.  Superstar.

How sad is it that one of the "biggest" wins this decade occurred when Corey Dillon ran for 278 yards against Denver to raise our record to 1-6 for the season?

You are better fan than me Fred, I admit it. 

In 3 weeks the window will officially close on this Bengals team although it has been pretty much shut since the Pittsburgh collapse (3 second half points).  The Bengals and Marvin have NOTHING to show for the last 7 years with Andy at QB.  They had nothing to show for the 8 years Carson Palmer was here either.    Keep in mind this is an organization that has only won 5 playoff games in 50 years.   Let that sink in superfan.

24 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Well, they are not BIG victories.  Only someone who accepts mediocrity would describe these as some of the "biggest" victories.  Its pretty sad when ALL of your favorite team's "biggest" victories in the last 27 years occurred during the the regular season.   

I never said they were the same as postseason wins.  But I still enjoyed them immensely, and I have not tried to force myself to forget them like you have.

I really feel sorry for the people out there who got no joy from those victories.  Maybe it is because I don't obsess over playing the victim.  I love when my team wins, but I would not be able to do that if I enjoyed bitching and moaning more than winning.

At the same time I hurt just as bad as anyone when the Bengals fail.  But I can not not understand why some people love to wallow in self pity so much that they block all the good from their memory.

39 minutes ago, SF2 said:

The Bengals and Marvin have NOTHING to show for the last 7 years with Andy at QB.  They had nothing to show for the 8 years Carson Palmer was here either.  

I have watched a lot of sports over my lifetime.  I have seen a lot of teams win a lot of regular season games,  I have also seen a lot of teams clinch playoff berths.  And I always see the fans of those teams celebrating and enjoying the occasion.  I have never once seen all the fans moping out of the arena or stadium complaining about how it is all "meaningless".

I enjoy winning regular season games.  I enjoy making the playoffs.  People who say they will never enjoy anything unless they accomplish the very best in the world are just going to spend their lives miserable.  No one on this board is anywhere near the top of their profession.  None of you are extraordinary.  If you are only going to be happy if you are #1 in the world then your entire life is going to be a sad pathetic existence.

2 hours ago, fredtoast said:

I never said they were the same as postseason wins.  But I still enjoyed them immensely, and I have not tried to force myself to forget them like you have.

I really feel sorry for the people out there who got no joy from those victories.  Maybe it is because I don't obsess over playing the victim.  I love when my team wins, but I would not be able to do that if I enjoyed bitching and moaning more than winning.

At the same time I hurt just as bad as anyone when the Bengals fail.  But I can not not understand why some people love to wallow in self pity so much that they block all the good from their memory.

I was happy about those victories, JOY is not a word I would use.   Its just a mediocre football team. 

I rarely hurt when the Bengals fail.  When I was younger and they were losing Super Bowls it hurt but now because post season failure is the norm,  I don't get worked up about it.

I bitch and moan when people like you try to justify mediocrity which you do relentlessly or try to convince us the team is way better than their record which the are not.  I won't let you try and prove Andy Dalton is even a top 10 QB,..because he isn't.   If every QB was put into a pot and redrafted, Andy wouldn't be chosen in the top 15.   Just reality regardless of what you think. 

I already admitted you are a far better Bengals fan than I.  I don't know why you can't take that as a compliment and move on.  I  don't see a need to get too emotionally attached to a marginal professional sports team, I have too many other things going on in my life to include a shit ton of High School sports to watch and coach.  Certainly a lot more fun and rewarding.

I like coming here and talking Bengals since my job is in front of a keyboard much of the day.  For years I went to most home games with a close group of  friends who all grew up around Dayton and were hard core Bengals fans.   The group owned a black "Bengals" Bus and  had season tickets but that ended after the market crashed and Palmer quit on us.  Sold the bus years ago.  Most of us are busy with our kids to care too much about the Bengals anymore.  

Your a great Bengals fan.  Congrats.

33 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

I have watched a lot of sports over my lifetime.  I have seen a lot of teams win a lot of regular season games,  I have also seen a lot of teams clinch playoff berths.  And I always see the fans of those teams celebrating and enjoying the occasion.  I have never once seen all the fans moping out of the arena or stadium complaining about how it is all "meaningless".

I enjoy winning regular season games.  I enjoy making the playoffs.  People who say they will never enjoy anything unless they accomplish the very best in the world are just going to spend their lives miserable.  No one on this board is anywhere near the top of their profession.  None of you are extraordinary.  If you are only going to be happy if you are #1 in the world then your entire life is going to be a sad pathetic existence.

"Mediocrity is Excellent to the Eyes of Mediocre People."  ~ Joseph Joubert

5 minutes ago, SF2 said:

"Mediocrity is Excellent to the Eyes of Mediocre People."  ~ Joseph Joubert

So now you are claiming that you are among the elite?

:lol::lol::lol:

It takes much more than bitching about mediocrity to make you elite.  But this is a very common tactic among people with low self esteem.  They think that if they claim nothing is good enough for them that makes them awesome.  Everyone knows people like this. 

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

So now you are claiming that you are among the elite?

:lol::lol::lol:

It takes much more than bitching about mediocrity to make you elite.  But this is a very common tactic among people with low self esteem.  They think that if they claim nothing is good enough for them that makes them awesome.  Everyone knows people like this. 

Whatever dude, your a troll and everyone knows it.  Do you spit out or swallow after you blow Mike Brown?

6 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Comparing Andy Dalton and Brett Favre is the best idea I've seen in a long, long time.

5 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Not for me.  I am capable of remembering both the good and bad.  It is only "easy" to forget big victories if you obsess on shitting on the Bengals and actually work hard to erase the good things from your memory. 

There really is no such thing as a "big victory" if your playoff resume reads as Marvin's and Andy's. I'm not sure why this is hard for you to understand.

Coming from behind in October at home against a 2-2 Seahawks team is not a big victory. I'm not sure why you think that it is. For God's sake, that Seahawks team should have lost to Teddy Bridgewater in the Wild Card round lol. 

4 hours ago, fredtoast said:

You just don't seem to get it. It's sad.

Yes, it is not practical to expect to be number one in my profession. There are probably tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of people who have the same profession as me. That's like striving to win the lottery. It's stupid. Furthermore, how does one measure their desk job performance versus another?

Pro sports is not like life. There are only 32 professional football teams in the United States. Those 32 teams all go against each other every single year. These 32 teams all have the same salary cap constraints and player acquisition rules. For a professional football team to not have finished number one in its 50 year existence is sad. Even sadder is not being able to finish amongst the league's 8 best teams in 25+ years. That's a different kind of pathetic. 

If you failed to rank in the top 8 of the 30-32 people in your profession in any year in the last 25+ years, I'd say that you're either entirely incompetent, very content with being average, or both. Either way, it's not a good look.

Fans of NFL teams are not supposed to settle. It's not real life for us. We settle for the crappy jobs we have, or the ugly wives who trapped us. When you root for a football team, you're supposed to root for them to reach the apex of the sport. And unless they changed this sport, comeback wins in October against average teams is not the apex.  

FWIW, Lap was on Bengals line yesterday and had some interesting thoughts about a potential coaching change.  It was interesting if you felt like hearing something that would make you want to vomit.  He mentioned that as many as 8 teams could be looking for new head coaches, which implies the Bengals would have plenty of competition and probably won't land a "hot" name or highly sought after guy.  He also stated that Mike Brown would probably view this as one of his last big decisions as owner and was unlikely to let Katie have a say. He said MB would lean toward a coach he is comfortable with and specifically mentioned Hue and Gruden if they become available.  He also didn't rule out Marvin returning since there may be a lack of strong candidates.  My takeaway is that Lap probably won't say stuff like this without hearing something MB said from a reliable source, possibly the man himself.  I am under no illusions that we would get a Gruden or Cowher to come here, but this is depressing.

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

FWIW, Lap was on Bengals line yesterday and had some interesting thoughts about a potential coaching change.  It was interesting if you felt like hearing something that would make you want to vomit.  He mentioned that as many as 8 teams could be looking for new head coaches, which implies the Bengals would have plenty of competition and probably won't land a "hot" name or highly sought after guy.  He also stated that Mike Brown would probably view this as one of his last big decisions as owner and was unlikely to let Katie have a say. He said MB would lean toward a coach he is comfortable with and specifically mentioned Hue and Gruden if they become available.  He also didn't rule out Marvin returning since there may be a lack of strong candidates.  My takeaway is that Lap probably won't say stuff like this without hearing something MB said from a reliable source, possibly the man himself.  I am under no illusions that we would get a Gruden or Cowher to come here, but this is depressing.

This is certainly depressing but he is going to lose a lot of fans if a good hire is not made.... w he familiar with Marvin when he hired him ?  new blood is needed no doubt

Archived