2018 Coaching prospects

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

FWIW, Lap was on Bengals line yesterday and had some interesting thoughts about a potential coaching change.  It was interesting if you felt like hearing something that would make you want to vomit.  He mentioned that as many as 8 teams could be looking for new head coaches, which implies the Bengals would have plenty of competition and probably won't land a "hot" name or highly sought after guy.  He also stated that Mike Brown would probably view this as one of his last big decisions as owner and was unlikely to let Katie have a say. He said MB would lean toward a coach he is comfortable with and specifically mentioned Hue and Gruden if they become available.  He also didn't rule out Marvin returning since there may be a lack of strong candidates.  My takeaway is that Lap probably won't say stuff like this without hearing something MB said from a reliable source, possibly the man himself.  I am under no illusions that we would get a Gruden or Cowher to come here, but this is depressing.

Lap is familiar with MB and is capable of understanding how his mind works or, in some cases, doesn't work.   He might not have heard anything but his sentiments concerning HC is likely spot on.  

Last 2 hires were out of AFC North

Stealers: Haley and Munchack

Vikings: Pat Shumur coached in Cleveland before

Ex Bengals Coaches: Hue, Gruden, VANCE JOSEPH, Matt Burke

Guenther

I have a very strong feeling it's Haley. I don't want it to be Haley but I don't hate it. I want Richard, Reich or Carmicheal. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Haley

Haley was 19-26 in his HC career. Fired midseason after a 10-6 year. 

Haley was fired on December 12, 2011, after leading his team to a 5–8 record during the 2011 NFL season.[14] The 2011 season began with three losses, including two blow-outs to Detroit and Buffalo. The team appeared to regroup, winning four straight games, before losing the next 5 of 6, including a complete team collapse in Haley's final game against the New York Jets. Late in that game Haley was flagged for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, allowing the Jets to complete a touchdown drive that ultimately put the game out of reach. After the loss, defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel was promoted to replace Haley.[15]

Offense Ranks highly https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/HaleTo0.htm

This is bad news. 

Coaching style[edit]

Haley has been described as an aggressive coach and can be combative with players.[4][19] During the 2009 NFC Championship Game against the Eagles, he had a first-half argument with quarterback Kurt Warner, then a short blowup in full view of television cameras with wide receiver Anquan Boldin later in the game.[4] He also had a spat with Terrell Owens when he was the wide receivers coach in Dallas.[4] Defending his style, Haley said "It's part of how I coach... It's part of how I motivate, and I like to think I've had some success doing it."[4]

We won't get a big name because we simply don't pay enough.  Marvin, after 15 years here, is still one of the lowest paid coaches.  Sure, its way cheaper to live here but these guys have huge egos.  It will most likely be a first time HC or Hue/Gruden.    I wouldn't hate Gruden, he has done about as well as one can with Snyder. 

Not a fan of Hue Jackson.   I find it almost impossible to go 1-28 in the salary cap era.   I wouldn't be surprised if the league office "asked us" to take a good look at Hue although the Clowns said he is staying.  

Maybe Zimmer will be caught with an intern and we can redeem him.

7 hours ago, SF2 said:

We won't get a big name because we simply don't pay enough.

I think a bigger concern to a potential head coach would be the Bengals refusal to spend in free agency.

People who want to blame Marvin for everything are missing a huge point.  Marvin was coaching with a handicap.  Comparing Marvin's coaching record with the rest of the league is like judging a race car driver in a Kia competing in a NASCAR race.

15 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

There really is no such thing as a "big victory" if your playoff resume reads as Marvin's and Andy's. I'm not sure why this is hard for you to understand.

It is hard for me to understand because I saw thousands of fans going crazy after the vistory.

Don't know how I missed you sitting in the corner bitching about how much it sucked to win those games.

2 hours ago, fredtoast said:

I think a bigger concern to a potential head coach would be the Bengals refusal to spend in free agency.

People who want to blame Marvin for everything are missing a huge point.  Marvin was coaching with a handicap.  Comparing Marvin's coaching record with the rest of the league is like judging a race car driver in a Kia competing in a NASCAR race.

I agree that is an issue as well.  Its all part of the overall deal.  In my opinion we are looking like this in order of certainty to maybe a vacancy.  The first 5 seem certain, next 4 maybe, Browns,.I mean they said they are keeping Hue but 1-28?

Giants

Bengals 

Bears

Broncos

Colts

Redskins

Buccaneers

Titans

Cardinals

Browns

Lions

Of the first five, I have to think the Broncos and Giants spot would be the most desired and probably pays well.  If Andrew Luck is actually healthy, the Colts might be a good next choice but a big if.  I would probably go Bengals next over Bears.  Better team right now and longer leash.  Yeah, I know Vance Joseph has only been there a year but an 8 game losing streak never plays well in Denver.

The reality is any of the first time coaches or even a Haley will take any of these positions.  The only one I would be afraid of is Cleveland if Hue gets canned. That place and their owner makes Mike Brown look like Bob Kraft.

39 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I agree that is an issue as well.  Its all part of the overall deal.  In my opinion we are looking like this in order of certainty to maybe a vacancy.  The first 4 seem certain, next 3 maybe, Browns,.I mean they said they are keeping Hue but 1-28?

Bengals 

Bears

Broncos

Colts

Redskins

Buccaneers

Titans

Browns

Of the first four, I have to think the Broncos spot would be the most desired and probably pays well.  If Andrew Luck is actually healthy, the Colts might be a good next choice but a big if.  I would probably go Bengals next over Bears.  Better team right now and longer leash.  Yeah, I know Vance Joseph has only been there a year but an 8 game losing streak never plays well in Denver.

The reality is any of the first time coaches or even a Haley will take any of these positions.  The only one I would be afraid of is Cleveland if Hue gets canned. That place and their owner makes Mike Brown look like Bob Kraft.

Giants. 

Also maybe Cardinals. 

Maybe Lions

Interesting article 

http://www.profootballweekly.com/lists/2017/12/11/74f9ae742e8048889462ec25a260d02e/

This is my guess

Bears Pete Carmicheal-Saints
Bengals Paul Guenther-Bengals or Todd Haley
Browns Hue Jackson-Browns
Bucs Josh McDaniels-Pats
Cards Kris Richard-Seahawks
Colts Dave Toub-Chiefs or Matt Nagy
Giants Frank Reich-Eagles or Panthers DC Wilks

I think the reason so many of us are holding out hope for a big name hire despite how unlikely that is, would be because we know whoever it is will probably remain here another 15 years no matter how bad they suck.  It'd be one thing to give someone like Guenther or Vance Joseph a shot if that's all it was - a chance.  It's more of a lifetime appointment. 

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

I think the reason so many of us are holding out hope for a big name hire despite how unlikely that is, would be because we know whoever it is will probably remain here another 15 years no matter how bad they suck.  It'd be one thing to give someone like Guenther or Vance Joseph a shot if that's all it was - a chance.  It's more of a lifetime appointment. 

This is simply not true. 42 years ago the Bengals hired a scout internally via the assistant to the general assistant's son in law's friend and he only remained employed for 14.98 years.

All you want to do is bitch about the Bengals because your life sucks and you refuse to be happy about anything.

Image result for troll gif

5 hours ago, fredtoast said:

It is hard for me to understand because I saw thousands of fans going crazy after the vistory.

Don't know how I missed you sitting in the corner bitching about how much it sucked to win those games.

I waste too much of my life responding to you.

It’s normal to be happy that you won. It’s better to win than lose. That doesn’t mean that it was a win of any real significance. It isn’t and it wasn’t. What did that win actually mean? It was a harbinger if nothing. They won a game in October at home against a team that ended up just as good as they were. 

15 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

I waste too much of my life responding to you.

It’s normal to be happy that you won. It’s better to win than lose. That doesn’t mean that it was a win of any real significance. It isn’t and it wasn’t. What did that win actually mean? It was a harbinger if nothing. They won a game in October at home against a team that ended up just as good as they were. 

Right.

Very few people (if any) using terms like "meaningless wins" don't mean they were pissed off when we won the game or that any of us sat in a corner and cried when we won.

Some people just take joy in playing the semantics and gotcha games. Pretty much everybody knows exactly what a poster means when they use a term like "big win" or other similar terminology, especially in the context that it's typically used in.

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

Right.

Very few people (if any) using terms like "meaningless wins" don't mean they were pissed off when we won the game or that any of us sat in a corner and cried when we won.

Some people just take joy in playing the semantics and gotcha games. Pretty much everybody knows exactly what a poster means when they use a term like "big win" or other similar terminology, especially in the context that it's typically used in.

It was a great win in overtime.  You have to remember that the Bengals gave the Seahawk's 14 points at the start of the 3rd quarter to take the lead.  A punt return and then on the next series a fumble returned for a touchdown.  The team showed a lot of courage scoring 17 points in the 4th quarter and stopping Seattle from scoring to take it to OT.  

That being said the fact that it may be one of our top 5 wins this Century is rather pathetic. 

1. Sept 27th, 2009.  Home vs Pittsburgh.  14- 4th quarter points, the last touchdown a 16 play, 5 min drive in 4th quarter, TD in final 18 seconds to win by 3. Probably the best win this century in my opinion. (I was there so maybe a little biased)

2. Dec 23rd, 2012. Away vs Pittsburgh.  Reggie Nelson int with 24 seconds left in tie game.  Andy with 21 yard pass to AJ with 14 seconds left to get in field goal range.  Josh Brown with 43 yard field goal, game over bitches. Took us to 9-6.

3. Dec 22nd, 2014 Monday night home against Denver.  Down by 1 scored 10 unanswered 4th quarter points to seal victory against 11-4 Broncos. 

4. Oct 11, 2015 Home against Seahawks.  17 unanswered points in 4th quarter to tie, field goal in overtime to win. 

5. Oct 22, 2000 Home vs Broncos.  Team was 0-6.  In a game that we only had 15 first downs, Corey Dillon ran for 278 yards on 22 carries. 4th quarter TD runs of 65 and 41 yards seal our first victory.   A game that had 921 total yards of offense.  Starter Akillme Smith and backup Scott Mitchell combined for 2 completions on 14 attempts for 34 yards. Peter Warrick had 90 yards RUSHING on 3 attempts. 

Honorable mention 

Oct 6th, 2013 Home vs Patriots,..the famous floodwaters from heaven game.   Why not top 5?  It was a pretty bad game for the most part.

Add your favorites, might missed one. 

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

This is simply not true. 42 years ago the Bengals hired a scout internally via the assistant to the general assistant's son in law's friend and he only remained employed for 14.98 years.

All you want to do is bitch about the Bengals because your life sucks and you refuse to be happy about anything.

That's not true!  I'm happy this miserable slog of a Bengals season is almost over.

vqgbHZK.gif

14 minutes ago, SF2 said:

It was a great win in overtime.  You have to remember that the Bengals gave the Seahawk's 14 points at the start of the 3rd quarter to take the lead.  A punt return and then on the next series a fumble returned for a touchdown.  The team showed a lot of courage scoring 17 points in the 4th quarter and stopping Seattle from scoring to take it to OT.  

The being said the fact that it may be one of our top 5 wins this Century is rather pathetic. 

That’s the point that I’m trying to make. Teams have good wins or comebacks. It shouldn’t be a win that you remember for years. 

54 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

This is getting ridiculous.

Regular season games can be "big wins".  Fans say it every week.  Announcers say it every week.  Fans pay money too see these regular season games because they have meaning.

It is absurd to claim that there is no such thing as a "big win" in the regular season is absurd.

Here is how it works around here....Win a regular season game against another playoff team that helps the Bengals make the playoffs "Meh, regular season games are meaningless.".......Lose a regular season game and these same people lose their shit and squeal about how it is a great tragedy and a personal insult to every Bengal fan.

Also these same whiners cite regular season games when arguing that Marvin can not win "big games".  But when I point out that the Bengals have won some of these "big games" suddenly they are meaningless.

If regular season games are meaningless then why do thousands of people pay for tickets and millions of people watch on TV?

7 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

That’s the point that I’m trying to make. Teams have good wins or comebacks. It shouldn’t be a win that you remember for years. 

But the point is that blanking them out of your memory does not mean they never happened.

You have no authority to comment on what has happened in the Bengals past if you admit that you blank all the good games from your memory.

The only way you can claim that the Bengals always quit when they fall behind is if you have committed all of the losses to memory while intentionally forgetting the comebacks.

30 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

This is getting ridiculous.

Regular season games can be "big wins".  Fans say it every week.  Announcers say it every week.  Fans pay money too see these regular season games because they have meaning.

It is absurd to claim that there is no such thing as a "big win" in the regular season is absurd.

Here is how it works around here....Win a regular season game against another playoff team that helps the Bengals make the playoffs "Meh, regular season games are meaningless.".......Lose a regular season game and these same people lose their shit and squeal about how it is a great tragedy and a personal insult to every Bengal fan.

Also these same whiners cite regular season games when arguing that Marvin can not win "big games".  But when I point out that the Bengals have won some of these "big games" suddenly they are meaningless.

If regular season games are meaningless then why do thousands of people pay for tickets and millions of people watch on TV?

Image result for the point gif

Archived