2018 Coaching prospects

1 hour ago, LostInDaJungle said:

No, you claimed that Zimmer left because of us keeping guys with off-field problems. And you cited NO sources for such claim. Quit moving the goalposts dude.

Wrong.  By showing that Zimmer took a job with the team with the most arrests in the league I was making the point that he would have no problem working with a guy called the "Redeemer".

If the Bengals wanted Mike Zimmer as Head Coach the time to make the move was after the playoff loss to the Chargers. Fire Marvin, hire Zimmer as Head Coach and move on. Aside from Sam Wyche, Mike Zimmer has been my favourite coach of any position or type since I've watched the team. His personality and style is exactly what this team needs as they tend to take an inordinate amount of high risk / high reward players who need his hard nosed approach.

Bottom line, that ship has sailed. Sadly, it looks like the only boomerang coaches coming back this way could be Jackson or Gruden, neither of which would please me.

3 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

The claim that calling Mike Brown the "Redeemer" does not have anything to do with signing or keeping guys with off field issues is the most troll-like post in this thread.  How can anyone take that claim seriously?  There is no other possible meaning for that nickname.

Nah, it isn't. T-Dub calls Mikey "The Redeemer" constantly in place of his name, it's just what he does, if you want to pretend that was the point he was making in that post then go for it. He was obviously talking about the Vikings being a better team than us right now and nothing really more than that with his post. Well, I should say obviously as far as 99% of us go, I'm sure someone out there will "squeal and squirt" over a nickname instead of the point being made.

4 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Nah, it isn't. T-Dub calls Mikey "The Redeemer" constantly in place of his name, it's just what he does,

Sorry, man.  I had no idea.

But if he doe not call Mike the Redeemer because he signs guys with off field issues then what does it mean?

I am guessing a lot of guys have made the same mistake I have.  I have seen that term used to describe Mike by lots of other people and they are always referring to the fact that Mike signs guys with off field issues.  I had no idea it meant something completely different when T-Dub says it.

Does it have to do with Mike saving coupons or something like that?

1 minute ago, fredtoast said:

Sorry, man.  I had no idea.

But if he doe not call Mike the Redeemer because he signs guys with off field issues then what does it mean?

I am guessing a lot of guys have made the same mistake I have.  I have seen that term used to describe Mike by lots of other people and they are always referring to the fact that Mike signs guys with off field issues.  I had no idea it meant something completely different when T-Dub says it.

Does it have to do with Mike saving coupons or something like that?

Stop acting intentionally dense.

We all understand exactly what "The Redeemer" means. The fact is that wasn't the point of T-Dub's post AT ALL and you're hyper-focusing the nickname used instead of the fucking point.

God damn dude. Grow the fuck up.

2 hours ago, fredtoast said:

YOU were one of the people who quoted me directly.

What the fuck is going on here?

Because someone else quoted you and I wanted to make sure I quoted the right person instead of having Doom think I was calling him a moron. So I had to slog back through your posts... Not fun.

Fred, when so many people are telling you the same thing, does it ever occur to you that you might be the problem instead of everyone else on the message board? Just curious. Does your world allow for that kind of introspection?

If you're not intentionally being dense, are you just dense? I think I can speak for many when I say that I think you're smarter than that. Let me know if I'm wrong. As Doom said, we know you know what was meant, so why the word games? Why dedicate half a page to acting like you can't comprehend basic English sentences? You don't win arguments, you just frustrate and exhaust your opponents until they realize there's no point in talking to you. You're purposefully obtuse.

There are times when you have a good football take and I do enjoy your posts. So, I honestly hope that you maybe take this a bit to heart and come back in 2018 as a poster who makes the board better.

48 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Fred, when so many people are telling you the same thing, does it ever occur to you that you might be the problem instead of everyone else on the message board? Just curious. Does your world allow for that kind of introspection?

Yes.  I am 100% capable of introspection.  How about you?  Are you capable of an objective analysis of what is happening here?

I am not a troll.  I don't make crazy arguments with no basis in logic or reality.  I don't come out attacking other members.  The only reason a lot of people here do not like me is because I disagree with them, and it really upsets them when I post hard facts to support my position.

So instead of just going by what "so many people say" I challenge you to go back through the threads and look at my posts and how people react to them.  You will see that I am telling the truth.  I make a valid argument and then a few of the usual suspects start making posts that ignore my actual argument and instead just take personal shots at me.

Where I live if I let "what so many people say" control what I believe then I would be saying that Barack Obama was born in Kenya and that Donald Trump "tells it like it is".  They threw Galileo in prison for not agreeing with what "so many people said" but it did not change reality.

A large portion of the posters come here to do nothing but shit on the Bengals and claim they are the worst in the league at everything.  I can admit that the Bengals have many flaws, but when people make bullshit claims that just are not true I point out where they are wrong.  Just like in politics and religion there is a "tribal mentality" on this board.  If someone dares not to fall in line with the majority beliefs then he is ostracized.

If you don't believe me then just go back and read the threads.  I don't start this shit.  All I do is post valid facts that some people do not want to hear. And in this thread I was attacked for assuming that calling Mike Brown "the Redeemer" was a shot at him for signing and keeping players with off field problems.  Try taking an OBJECTIVE look at that and see who is in the wrong.

2 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

Nah, it isn't. T-Dub calls Mikey "The Redeemer" constantly in place of his name, it's just what he does

EXCUSE YOU 

It was "Redeemer McSoggyTrousers"  but I am willing to entertain other nicknames

Captain Competitive

Gatorade Grinch

Ol' Musty

Barnum & Fail-y  (based on his classic "Sometimes one of the elephants doesn't do his routine" quote after a loss)

Mikey of Nazareth

Brown Frown

FUPA Troopa

Big Chief Skips-a-Generation

feel free to suggest your own!

32 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

EXCUSE YOU 

It was "Redeemer McSoggyTrousers"  but I am willing to entertain other nicknames

Captain Competitive

Gatorade Grinch

Ol' Musty

Barnum & Fail-y  (based on his classic "Sometimes one of the elephants doesn't do his routine" quote after a loss)

Mikey of Nazareth

Brown Frown

FUPA Troopa

I second FUPA Troopa, but Ol' Musty just seems to fit...this is a tough one.

Fred, honestly, it's not your opinions I find intolerable... Hell, I agree with you on more than I disagree. On the other hand, T-Dub and I went at each other not too long ago and I've never been tempted to put him on ignore. The board's boring if people don't disagree.

It's the way you make your arguments.

I won't bother to re-hash the quite clear example this thread shows and gives ample feedback to, but with no anger and a hope that one day we can stand side by side and defend Andy Dalton together -- if it's not a problem, why does it seem to be so much of a problem?

Namaste bitches.

15 hours ago, T-Dub said:

EXCUSE YOU 

Captain Competitive

Gatorade Grinch

Ol' Musty

Mikey of Nazareth

Brown Frown

FUPA Troopa

Big Chief Skips-a-Generation

Sorry, you had me at  Redeemer McSoggyTrousers.

11 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Fred, honestly, it's not your opinions I find intolerable... Hell, I agree with you on more than I disagree. On the other hand, T-Dub and I went at each other not too long ago and I've never been tempted to put him on ignore. The board's boring if people don't disagree.

It's the way you make your arguments.

I won't bother to re-hash the quite clear example this thread shows and gives ample feedback to, but with no anger and a hope that one day we can stand side by side and defend Andy Dalton together -- if it's not a problem, why does it seem to be so much of a problem?

Namaste bitches.

Very true.  I don't have anyone on ignore but I do ignore a lot of X's posts simply because they are meaningless statistics.

The problem is I think people are leaving the board because of it and I do not like that at all.

I like the openness and back and forth banter.  A lot of genuinely funny stuff on here.

The best way to kill a troll is to stave it to death by ignoring it, however, some may ignore

it by leaving.  

43 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I think we need to look past what Mike has done as it is Katie's team now.

this is the thing that I hang on to.

I mean I wanted ole marv gone as much as anyone, but I am also afraid of what they might do in the hiring process..

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Well, we did hire a failed Dallas offensive coordinator with only 2 years of NFL experience as head coach once. 

WE once hired a failed/fired Browns coach and that worked out.

Don't want Hue back but would not be surprised to see Cleveland pull the same thing and hire a Bengals coach leaving under a cloud.

Jay Gruden, Hue Jackson, etc...  may not get head coaching jobs next year but...  one of them may be back in a familiar capacity with the Bengals.   An expendable seat warmer most likely exists on the team which may make sense IF we get one of the two above coaches (or both...).   None of which will make anyone happy. 

...or...

Jim Harbaugh, Jimbo Fisher, Nick Saban, etc...  Could be coming out to an NFL coaching job.   I have some mixed thoughts on them.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/12/17/candidates-replace-marvin-lewis-cincinnati-bengals-head-coach/959328001/

Candidates to replace Marvin Lewis as Cincinnati Bengals head coach

Jim Owczarski, jowczarski@enquirer.comPublished 1:43 p.m. ET Dec. 17, 2017 | Updated 10:49 p.m. ET Dec. 18, 2017

MINNEAPOLIS - The idea that Marvin Lewis would not be the head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals in 2018 wasn’t a foreign one to ownership inside 1 Paul Brown Stadium. You don’t let a head coach and his entire coaching staff head into a season in the final year of their deals without a “list.”

The Bengals have theirs.

The club likes to keep things tight to the vest and is expected to do so, but the coaching waters around the franchise have been churning all year. Sunday’s news of Lewis’ decision created whitecaps around the league.

More: Marvin Lewis surprises Bengals by opting not to return in 2018

Doc: Thanks, Marvin Lewis, for moving mountains with the Cincinnati Bengals

Now, the search for the 10th head coach in franchise history is in full effect.

Here is a list of potential candidates:

Internal options

Paul Guenther, defensive coordinator

Guenther has been with the Bengals for 13 years and is in his fourth as defensive coordinator. He has experience on the offensive side of the ball in his early days with Washington, has experience on special teams and is the latest of Lewis’ coordinators to find himself on the radar within the league. He was blocked by the Bengals from heading to Washington to start this season, and there is a strong feeling around the league that should he not be the next Bengals head coach he will be elsewhere in 2018.  

Darrin Simmons, special teams coordinator

Simmons has also been with Lewis and the club since 2003, and he was the one tabbed to head practice for Lewis when the head coach missed time in training camp with a health issue. Simmons has worked with offensive and defensive players, but he has never worked directly with the core players in each unit.

Outside candidates

The Enquirer has learned who won’t be in play for the Bengals, per a source familiar with their thinking: Jon Gruden (should he decide to return to the sideline), New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels and Minnesota offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur.

Each would be prime head coaching candidates and expected to be in the center of discussions for between six and 10 potential openings come the new year. That leaves the pickings thin for offensive minds.

So, if the Bengals decide to totally move in an entirely new direction and with a first-time head coach, here ones to consider:

Jim Bob Cooter, Detroit offensive coordinator

The Bengals’ offense has struggled to score points the last two seasons, and Cooter is widely regarded as the key to Detroit quarterback Matthew Stafford unlocking his potential the last two seasons. Promoted in-season during the 2015 campaign, the Lions finished 21st in offense and 20th in scoring in 2016 and have improved to sixth in offense and 14th in scoring so far in 2017.

Frank Reich, Philadelphia offensive coordinator

Is he ready? The former Buffalo Bills backup quarterback is on his second turn as a play-caller after spending 2014-15 in San Diego before being dismissed. He has been with Eagles head coach Doug Pederson the last two seasons and the team improved from 16th in scoring last year to No. 1 in the league this year. They have also improved from 22nd overall to third. In his two years in San Diego, the Chargers finished 9th in total offense in 2015 but 17th and 26th in scoring.

Harold Goodwin, Arizona offensive coordinator

He seems primed for a head job at this point after coordinating the Cardinals offense under Bruce Arians since 2013. Arians brought Goodwin with him from Indianapolis, where Goodwin coached the offensive line. With Carson Palmer, Goodwin's group peaked at No. 1 overall in the league in 2015.

Matt Patricia, New England defensive coordinator

Would the Bengals be willing to wait until perhaps February to name a new coach and fill out a staff? If so, the sixth-year Patriots defensive coordinator will once again be a “hot name” with championship experience. He has an offensive background, having played on and coached the offensive line. Then moved on to coach the linebackers and safeties for the Patriots before assuming his current role.

Kris Richard, Seattle defensive coordinator

A former defensive backs coach who molded the famed "Legion of Boom," Richard has been calling the Seahawks' defense since 2015, and he kept that unit at the top of the league in 2015 and 2016 and has managed to keep it effective this year despite losing almost the entire secondary due to injury, as well as managing injuries up front. 

Ones to watch

Hue Jackson, Cleveland Browns head coach

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam repeatedly and emphatically said Jackson will be his head coach in 2018 and 2019 when he hired new general manager John Dorsey. But when given an opportunity on Cleveland radio to fall in line with that, Dorsey demurred.

Remember, 2018 was supposed to be the year Jackson took over for Lewis had he stayed on as offensive coordinator following the 2015 season. Jackson instead took the head job with the Browns and is 1-29.

Multiple league sources have told The Enquirer the feeling around the NFL is it would be hard for the Bengals to sell Jackson to the fan base after coaching in Oakland and Cleveland with a winning percentage lower than David Shula’s, but there is a real feeling among some inside Paul Brown Stadium that ownership would look past that and judge Jackson's candidacy on what he did for the Bengals as an assistant and a coordinator.

Jay Gruden, Washington head coach

This seems like more of a longshot, as Gruden was the first coach Washington owner Dan Snyder extended with two years left on his deal – so the former Bengals offensive coordinator is under contract through 2020. But, Snyder is mercurial and the future of quarterback Kirk Cousins is murky, so it’s worth watching how Snyder views Gruden after four years and one playoff berth.

Others to monitor: Mike Mularkey, Tennesee Titans head coach; Brian Kelly, University of Notre Dame head coach.

Archived