2018 Coaching prospects

22 hours ago, rcarpenter62 said:

I could not agree more.  But I think we all know it isn't going to happen unless Mike Brown dies between now and the end of the season.  I've never been closer to checking out on this organization and the NFL in general.  I'm going to give them a chance to make a good hire, have a great draft, and make smart personnel decisions this off-season.  If it is the same old status quo bullshit, I am just going to put forth the actual effort to sever my ties with pro football.

Disagree. I think they do go outside the organization, keep in mind that when Marvin was hired he was not a former Bengals coach.

I like Paul G, but I don't think he is ready to be a HC.

There isnt anyone else on the coaching roster I want to be our HC, I think they go outside the organization.

Frankly I would not be totally shocked that if he want's to coach again that Tom Coughlin gets the job. He was Mike Brown's 1st choice before Marvin, Katie wanted to bring Marvin here.

57 minutes ago, Marlon23 said:

Mike Munchak, interesting, I would like this very much but I doubt PITT would allow this to happen.

I dont think they can block it. I think that he makes a ton of sense as an in Division candidate that we know well and the fact that our line is our biggest issue. BUT he pulled Reggie Nelson's hair and the way that Hobson wrote about it prior to the Stealers game I have the feeling that isn't forgotten. 

29 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

I dont think they can block it. I think that he makes a ton of sense as an in Division candidate that we know well and the fact that our line is our biggest issue. BUT he pulled Reggie Nelson's hair and the way that Hobson wrote about it prior to the Stealers game I have the feeling that isn't forgotten. 

Yes, he did didn't he.  I think if the Stoolers wanted to retain they would find a way is what I am thinking, but now that you mention the hair pulling, I am more reserved on it.

35 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Frankly I would not be totally shocked that if he want's to coach again that Tom Coughlin gets the job. He was Mike Brown's 1st choice before Marvin, Katie wanted to bring Marvin here.

Is that what finally came out? I thought I remember at the time that Mike wanted Mularkey?

I am going to compile a list. 

Likely traits: AFC North Experience, Ohio ties

Desired traits: Disciplinarian, Offensive Coordinator, Offensive Line Knowledge, Former HC, Aggressive

Offensive Coordinator

Jim Bob Cooter, Lions OC: 

Todd Downing, Raiders OC: 

Harold Goodwin, Cards OC: AFC North (Stealers Offensive Assistant 2007-2011), OL coaching experience

Todd Haley, Stealers OC: AFC North (Stealers, 2012-Present), Chiefs HC 2009-2011 (19-26)

Matt LaFleur, Rams OC: 

Mike McCoy, Broncos OC: Chargers HC 2013-2016 (27-37)

Josh McDaniels, Patriots OC: John Carroll Graduate, Broncos HC (11-17)

Matt Nagy, Chiefs OC: Former Columbus Arena league baller

Frank Reich, Eagles OC: 

Ken Whisenhunt, Chargers OC: AFC North (Ravens-Browns-Stealers 1997-2006) Cardinals Head Coach, 2007-2012, Titans Head Coach 2014-2015 (48-71)

Offensive Assistants

John DeFelippo, Eagles QBs Coach: AFC North (Browns coach), From Youngstown

Russ Grimm, Titans OL Coach: AFC North (Stealers 2001-2006)

Mike Munchack, Stealers OL Coach: AFC North (Oilers back in the day) (Stealers 2014-2017), Titans HC 2011-2013 (22-26)

Defensive Coordinators

Teryl Austin, Lions DC: AFC North (Ravens DB 2011-2013)

Matt Burke, Dolphins OC: Former Bengals Assistant

Paul Guenther, Bengals DC:

Marquand Manuel, DC: Former Bengals player

Matt Patricia, Patriots DC

Kris Richard, Seahawks DC

Jim Schwartz, Eagles DC: Ex Lions Head Coach (29-51)

Mike Vrabel, Texans DC: Akron, OH Native, OSU Grad and Coach

Special Teams Coordinators

Dave Toub, Chiefs: 

Current Head Coaches

John Harbaugh, Ravens: Ohio Native

Hue Jackson, Browns:

Chuck Pagano, Colts:

Bruce Arians, Cardinals:

Ex Head Coaches

Jon Gruden, Monday Night Football: Ohio Native

Jim Tressell, Youngstown State President: OSU

The coaches I imagine we will look at.

1. Guenther

2. Todd Haley

3. Mike Munchack* depending on the issue

4. Ken Whisenhunt

The coaches that I would love to look at

1. Frank Reich

2. Jim Bob Cooter

3. John DeFelippo

4. Kris Richard

5. Matt Burke* I can't remember why he left?

Jim Haslet (I know ... I know ...)

Fits the MikeandKatie template

Hire from within.

Beholding to the Browns for saving his career bacon, won't make waves.

"Continuity" and will not be likely to upset the coaching applecart (Alexander is safe as are those Friends of Mike assistant assistant coaches (Marcus Lewis, a Coombs, a Lippencott)

Head coaching experience albeit not successful

Will work cheap

Archived