A.J. Green avoids suspension from the NFL

16 hours ago, Marlon23 said:

Why is it if I put someone in a head lock in the street and throw punches I get arrested but football players do not?

21 minutes ago, Marlon23 said:

Stop equating actual real life with professional sports events.  lol

arguing_with_yourself_by_rrrussell.jpg

20 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Says the guy asking why he's punished for doing something in actual real life that A.J. Green did at a professional sports event.

nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.png

Hackbart v. Cincinnati Bengals, Inc.

Though this was not a criminal case, the court discussed the involuntary reflex defense regarding aggressive contact during a sports contest. Cincinnati Bengals football player Charles Clark hit Denver Broncos player Dale Hackbart on the back of the head out of frustration after an interception. The play was over, and Hackbart was not looking when he was hit from behind. He broke three vertebrae in his neck and suffered several muscular injuries as a result. The district court stated, “The violence of professional football is carefully orchestrated. Both offensive and defensive players must be extremely aggressive in their actions, and they must play with reckless abandonment of self-protective instincts.” [Hackbart v.  Cincinnati Bengals, Inc., 435 F. Supp. 352, 355 (D. Co. 1977), rev’d 601 F.2d 516 (10th Cir. 1979), cert. denied 444 U.S. 931 (1979)]. The 10th Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the trial court by holding that even a football player may be held responsible for injuring an opponent if he acts with the reckless disregard for the opponent’s safety. Id at p. 92

42 minutes ago, Marlon23 said:

Hackbart v. Cincinnati Bengals, Inc.

Though this was not a criminal case, the court discussed the involuntary reflex defense regarding aggressive contact during a sports contest. Cincinnati Bengals football player Charles Clark hit Denver Broncos player Dale Hackbart on the back of the head out of frustration after an interception. The play was over, and Hackbart was not looking when he was hit from behind. He broke three vertebrae in his neck and suffered several muscular injuries as a result. The district court stated, “The violence of professional football is carefully orchestrated. Both offensive and defensive players must be extremely aggressive in their actions, and they must play with reckless abandonment of self-protective instincts.” [Hackbart v.  Cincinnati Bengals, Inc., 435 F. Supp. 352, 355 (D. Co. 1977), rev’d 601 F.2d 516 (10th Cir. 1979), cert. denied 444 U.S. 931 (1979)]. The 10th Circuit Court of Appeals reversed the trial court by holding that even a football player may be held responsible for injuring an opponent if he acts with the reckless disregard for the opponent’s safety. Id at p. 92

Oh cool.

I guess I'm missing the part where this would have anything to do with what actually happened in last weekend's game and also how it's supposed to counter me pointing out how you told people to not compare real life to a football game while you're comparing real life to a football game.

2 hours ago, Marlon23 said:

So it is consent for a choke hold to be administered in a football game?  I understand the consent in boxing, the rules of boxer specifically state punches will be thrown, but the rule book in the NFL states nothing about the NFL ruling a choke hold to be administered during any activity for football. 

he was kicked out of the game... what do you want? a public stoning or something? 

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

Oh cool.

I guess I'm missing the part where this would have anything to do with what actually happened in last weekend's game and also how it's supposed to counter me pointing out how you told people to not compare real life to a football game while you're comparing real life to a football game.

I have no idea what you are talking about.  

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

In the real world, Ramsey's actions constitute mitigation.  This wasn't some unprovoked attack that happened for no reason.  There is not a DA in the country who would charge or convict someone for assault in these circumstances.  

Nice POST, thank you this is what I am finding out more "outside" the forum LOL.  Great Post..  

A) consent and B) prosecutions would fail because of A so cops and DAs don't waste their time.

As far as the guys who get in a street fight and who are criminally charged they can also use consent as a defense in some jurisdictions. But they probably have some other charges too like trespassing, destruction of property, vandalism, disturbing the peace etc. even in jurisdictions that have consent as a defense they may not accept the defense if application is against public policy.

Speaking of public policy, imagine if our police started making arrests anytime an athlete made a physical move against another athlete in violation of the rules of a game.

So those are my two answers. Consent and public policy. I think these two answers also allow for the well known exceptions.

The comments contain stories of anecdotal bar fights where people are getting arrested. Those fights are very different from fights that happen during sports. Frankly, if two guys are walking down the street arguing and one guy elbows the other in the gut and then the second guy trips the first guy who falls but then the two then keep walking together I'm not sure a cop is going to arrest them. In other words the bar fights leading to arrests are far different from a few punches and the shoving that happen during sports.

Oh yeah - you say punching and biting is clearly outside the context of the game. When someone says something is clear it means whatever is about to follow is not clear. Punching and biting are not outside the context. Granted, with the bite you have a stronger argument but the resulting injury is consistent with combat sports. As for a punch in baseball, football, basketball, hockey... etc - anyone playing at a certain level has experienced this stuff and knows it comes with the territory. You learn that lesson in junior high school and you decide whether to continue to play. IOW you consent.

Regarding your edit:

What are are you going to do boy?

I'm gonna punch you in the face.

Well do it then boy!

PUNCH

We can't arrest people who get their bluff called! Imagine the jury seeing this guy calling someone boy and asking to get punched.

On 11/7/2017 at 11:17 AM, Marlon23 said:

Stop equating actual real life with professional sports events.  lol

I separated the events.One took place in a sporting venue,the other in an everyday situation.I kept it as simple as I could for you,but sadly,but not unexpectedly,I didn't dumb it down enough for you to comprehend.

10 hours ago, Sox said:

I separated the events.One took place in a sporting venue,the other in an everyday situation.I kept it as simple as I could for you,but sadly,but not unexpectedly,I didn't dumb it down enough for you to comprehend.

So when I am at the game watching them it is virtual reality or something?   Not real life, I don't understand. Assault is Assault just saying if this was not real life, he wouldn't have been fined 42G's.  If it was a video game or virtual reality like you are saying he would have lost some tokens or something.

By the way nice picture, baby looks so cute.  :6:

Archived