Winston Signs with Fischer to IR

We went from awful to almost mediocre. There really aren't any better tackles laying on the couch eating twinkies right now? They probably would rather have a pedestrian tackle that knows the system than pay a good one that might have a slight learning curve. But a good tackle that doesn't know his assignments right away is still a massive improvement over Fisher.

I'm probably talking out my ass, but I'm pretty sure there are better FAs than Winston.

http://www.fox19.com/story/36793685/bengals-place-fisher-on-reservationnon-football-illness-list-sign-eric-winston

Bengals place Fisher on reservation/non-football illness list, sign Eric Winston

Wednesday, November 8th 2017, 9:57 am ESTWednesday, November 8th 2017, 11:30 am ESTPosted by FOX19 Digital Media Staff

CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) -

The Bengals announced Wednesday morning they placed OT Jake Fisher on the Reserve/Non-Football Illness list and signed free agent OT Eric Winston.

Fisher, a third-year player, played in all eight of the Bengals’ games this season, with seven starts, all at right tackle, team officials said in a prepared statement.

Being placed on the Reserve/Non-Football Illness list ends his 2017 season.

Winston (6-7, 310), an 11th-year player, returns to Cincinnati after playing with the Bengals the past three seasons from 2014-16. The Bengals had terminated his contract on final cuts this year on Sept. 2.

Originally the Houston Texans’ third-round draft pick out of Miami (Fla.) in the 2006 NFL Draft, Winston played with the Texans from ’06-11, and later with the Kansas City Chiefs in ’12 and the Arizona Cardinals in ’13.

He has played in 157 games with 125 starts in his career, including 33 games and six starts with the Bengals.

7 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

He's a shitty OT (now at least) who is familiar with the system, which seems to be exactly what we're going for with our line.

They can't sign someone that would clearly outplay Fischer/Ogbuehi or they'd have to accept they screwed up by drafting them. 

6 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Any idea what's wrong with him?

Were they able to save the baby?

Better yet, what the hell is the reservation / non-football illness list?   Is that the place the put guys they think might be able to play sometime in the future and don't want to lose but right now suck so bad they are taking up a roster spot??

Just now, SF2 said:

Better yet, what the hell is the reservation / non-football illness list?   Is that the place the put guys they think might be able to play sometime in the future and don't want to lose but right now suck so bad they are taking up a roster spot??

Means he got hurt (?) doing something away from the team.  They don't have to pay him his base salary like they would if he was on IR.  Could be sick, drug/booze rehab, other personal issues they want to keep private..  It's also an option for a rookie entering the league with an injury, like McJimbo.  Not sure why we haven't used it more, considering. 

I wouldn't blame Fisher for boozing it up. I would if I was playing under Marvin Lewis, and I have liver cirrhosis. I would drink anyway. Better to die with pride than to play for that loser that can't get fired.

Also, Winston is actually BETTER than anyone else we have at tackle, so this is a (slight) upgrade. Watch Mixon run free behind him now. Seriously. Just watch. Sorry Titans, here comes the wood. I am not joking. Expect run plays off Winston's shoulder to start working. Also, Hewitt. Lots of Hewitt. 

8 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Hire him as OL coach.  No ninja.

I agree.

I would actually like to see Max Montoya more.  Lives in Northern Kentucky (Munoz lives in Mason) and when all was said and done, it was Max more than Anthony who was the real leader of that fantastic O line.  It was said that Max was the Master of Holding and was adept at disguising it without getting called.  He is also the one who came up with spraying Pam, the vegetable oil stuff that kept food from sticking to frying pans, on the black jerseys so d linemen would slip off.

I remember him once at Wilmington training camp ... the O linemen were going from one field up a small hill to another.  Some tweenie girl was all made up to try to catch the attention of some big, strong, studly football star.  Max was with the guys and turned and gave her a fake sexy "Hiii".  I think the kid had her first orgasm.  One of those you-had-to-be-there things but really funny.

Max was introduced at halftime a game or so ago as one of the Bengal Top 50 players.  Flowing white hair under a Bengals cap.  He tipped the hat to the crowd and is completely bald underneath.  Pretty funny.

Jake Fisher to have procedure to correct irregular heartbeat

Posted by Josh Alper on November 9, 2017, 7:49 AM EST

When the Bengals placed right tackle Jake Fisher on the non-football illness list on Wednesday, coach Marvin Lewis said Fisher “needs to not be playing a contact sport for a period of time” but didn’t elaborate on the nature of the problem that Fisher was dealing with.

Lewis had more to say during an appearance on Sirius XM NFL Radio with Ross Tucker on Thursday morning. He said that Fisher is dealing with an irregular heartbeat and that the tackle will have a procedure this week to try to correct it.

Lewis said on Wednesday that he doesn’t think the issue will keep Fisher from playing in the future, although Fisher’s inability to play right now suggests that any long-term forecasts would seem to be linked to the success of the procedure.

Fisher, a 2015 second-round pick, had to leave last Sunday’s game early and go to the hospital. He is in his first year as a full-time starter.

17 hours ago, T-Dub said:

They can't sign someone that would clearly outplay Fischer/Ogbuehi or they'd have to accept they screwed up by drafting them. 

This is the dumbest argument I have ever heard.

"Yes, we will look so much smarter getting blown out while playing Ogbuehi instead of signing someone better and winning more games."

Do you people ever stop and read what you are posting?  How the hell does a coach/front office save face by sucking?

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Jake Fisher to have procedure to correct irregular heartbeat

So now we have one OT with an irregular heartbeat and the other, Ogbuhei, who doesn't have one.

At least that's the way he plays.

I can't really say he's lazy.  He just looks like he does not want to play professional football and would rather be doing something else.

2 hours ago, fredtoast said:

This is the dumbest argument I have ever heard.

"Yes, we will look so much smarter getting blown out while playing Ogbuehi instead of signing someone better and winning more games."

Do you people ever stop and read what you are posting?  How the hell does a coach/front office save face by sucking?

This was apparently why  Mike brown refused to sign Zeitler and Whitworth, he wants marvin and the scouts to prove CEDO and Fischer were the correct picks. Could you imagine where this team would be if we kept whit and zeitler and signed some FA's to compliment bodine and Boling.

43 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

This was apparently why  Mike brown refused to sign Zeitler and Whitworth, he wants marvin and the scouts to prove CEDO and Fischer were the correct picks. Could you imagine where this team would be if we kept whit and zeitler and signed some FA's to compliment bodine and Boling.

Whitworth was not re-signed because he wanted a longer contract than we were willing to offer and Zeitler was not re-signed because he was not worth what the Browns paid him.

The Benga;ls have less than $13 million in cap space.  The cap hit for Whit this year is $9.2 million and Zeitler is $8.4.  We would have had to cut a few players to keep them both.  Plus, at the time they made these free agent decisions they thought they were going to have to save a lot of funds to extend Eifert.

Archived