A little O-line perspective

Some people claim that I defend every coach and player on the roster no matter what, or that I think everyone of our players are great.  But this is not true.  Many times when I am defending a player or coach I am not saying he is one of the best in the league, instead I am just disagreeing with someone who claims he is "the worst in the league".  It is possible to defend an average NFL player from charges of being "worst in the league" without claiming he is a great player.

This brings me to our 2017 offensive line.  I really can't defend them against any claim you want to make.  Here are the numbers so far.

Rushing yards per game........31st (thank you Arizona)

Rushing yards per attempt....31st (thank you Arizona)

Rushing tds..........................31st (thank you Miami)

Sacks per pass attempt........29th (thank you Indianapolis, Buffalo, Houston)

Points per game..................29th (thanks Cleveland, Miami, San Francisco)

Total yards per game...........32nd

First downs per game..........32nd

Also worth noting that half of the teams we have played so far have a defense ranked 20th or lower (Texans 20th, Bills 23rd, Packers 25th, Colts 31st)

17 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Some people claim that I defend every coach and player on the roster no matter what, or that I think everyone of our players are great.  But this is not true.  Many times when I am defending a player or coach I am not saying he is one of the best in the league, instead I am just disagreeing with someone who claims he is "the worst in the league".  It is possible to defend an average NFL player from charges of being "worst in the league" without claiming he is a great player.

This brings me to our 2017 offensive line.  I really can't defend them against any claim you want to make.  Here are the numbers so far.

Rushing yards per game........31st (thank you Arizona)

Rushing yards per attempt....31st (thank you Arizona)

Rushing tds..........................31st (thank you Miami)

Sacks per pass attempt........29th (thank you Indianapolis, Buffalo, Houston)

Points per game..................29th (thanks Cleveland, Miami, San Francisco)

Total yards per game...........32nd

First downs per game..........32nd

Nice, Post.  This is unacceptable for the Bengals.  Also Houston note shame on Watson, young talent and gets hurt.  

It’s bleak. As a fan, I just wish a new set of eyes could evaluate these players. It may seem dumb, but does anyone not think that one of Fisher, Ogbuehi, Hopkins, Westerman, Redmond, Johnson could turn into a starting caliber lineman if provided adequate coaching? These guys right now don’t even know how to pick up simple stunts! What do they do all week long?

Bodine doesn’t count. He’s a lost cause. 

Boling is decent, but he's surrounded by so much crap he is starting to smell.

I'd be interested in seeing what Fisher could do at RG.  It seems Andre is over the hill.  Ced and Jethro must go.  I don't even want them as backups.

Draft a tackle and center in the first 3 rounds and sign a tackle and G in free agency.

The Bengals defense was on the field for around 80 plays today while the offense put together about 40. Can't keep going 3 or 5 out and think you have a shot at winning the game. I dont care who they draft in the first but it better be OL and hopefully someone like Billy Price in the second.

22 minutes ago, Jason said:

Boling is decent, but he's surrounded by so much crap he is starting to smell.

I'd be interested in seeing what Fisher could do at RG.  It seems Andre is over the hill.  Ced and Jethro must go.  I don't even want them as backups.

Draft a tackle and center in the first 3 rounds and sign a tackle and G in free agency.

this team will NEVER sign a starting OT or OG in FA....

NEVER.....

On 11/10/2017 at 5:54 PM, Madieu Superstar said:

It’s bleak. As a fan, I just wish a new set of eyes could evaluate these players. It may seem dumb, but does anyone not think that one of Fisher, Ogbuehi, Hopkins, Westerman, Redmond, Johnson could turn into a starting caliber lineman if provided adequate coaching? These guys right now don’t even know how to pick up simple stunts! What do they do all week long?

Bodine doesn’t count. He’s a lost cause. 

Don't know about the others, but don't think there's any hope for Ogbuehi either.  Fisher might be alright as an emergency 4th T/G.  IMO. Boling's the only NFL-caliber starting OLineman on the entire roster.  A couple of the others may still be acceptable as backups.  I still think they need a decent quality FA tackle as well as a tackle & center in the first three rounds and a later-round or journeyman jack-of-all-trades.  No fewer that four candidates to compete for OL jobs and most important of all - there needs to be a new HC & OL Coach acquiring them.

7 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Both.  Can't count on a rookie to a start.. or shouldn't, anyway.  

Yeah I think the people saying we should just draft 2, 3, or even 4 rookies to immediately start are being a bit too optimistic with draft picks panning out. 2-3 decent interior line free agents with a rookie LT (no chance they give a LT free agent like Solder big money) seems to be the most reasonable option but it still isn't happening.

When we lost Whit/Z over the offseason, I remember someone posted "wow, as of this second our starting line is Og/Boling/Bodine/Hopkins/Fisher", and it was kinda funny until that ended up being our actual starting offensive line in week 1. Regardless of the results this season, I don't foresee a huge overhaul of 4 guys changing on the line. I'm not even sure we see 2 big changes unless Fisher can't play football next year to force them to make a move there.

Whether the Bengals would be willing to pay for an offensive lineman in free agency or not (I agree they would not)...it doesn't really matter. There are next to no players available in free agency that would be of much help. Aside from Nate Solder and Luke Joeckel these is nothing but trash available.  This team is in very big trouble.

23 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Whether the Bengals would be willing to pay for an offensive lineman in free agency or not (I agree they would not)...it doesn't really matter. There are next to no players available in free agency that would be of much help. Aside from Nate Solder and Luke Joeckel these is nothing but trash available.  This team is in very big trouble.

Whaaaaaat? I mean, I'm not trying to say there will be tons of amazing players available, but I feel like you're basing this off of "names I've heard before = not trash".

There is quite the handful of good players on the OL set to be UFAs next year, it just depends which guys end up back with their original teams and who will actually hit the open market. Luke Joeckel would qualify as "trash" before some of the guys coming off rookie contracts and some other randoms around the league. Just because a guy wasn't a big name player coming out of college and drafted highly doesn't mean they aren't good now. Andrew Norwell and Ryan Jensen have been better at their positions by a country mile this year over the 2 guys you mentioned.

1 minute ago, omgdrdoom said:

Whaaaaaat? I mean, I'm not trying to say there will be tons of amazing players available, but I feel like you're basing this off of "names I've heard before = not trash".

There is quite the handful of good players on the OL set to be UFAs next year, it just depends which guys end up back with their original teams and who will actually hit the open market.

I think he was talking about guys available to sign right now.

Bengals hate to sign free agents from other teams, but this year they will be forced to sign at least at least one possible starter for the O-line.  It won't be the top paid o-linemen, but it will be an established NFL starter like Deuce Lutui in 2011.  Bengals were saving money to sign Eifert, but he will come cheap now.

Don't forget that Bodine will be a free agent this year.  We will probably re-sign him just for the sake of "continuity".  I agree that offensive lines depend more on "chemistry" than any other unit, but chemistry is useless if the chemicals are weak.  Right now I would not care if Boling was the only returning starter next year,

9 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

I think he was talking about guys available to sign right now.

Nope. Solder and Joeckel are set to hit the market in the coming offseason which are the 2 guys he referenced. They're just 2 names that people will recognize, but they're nowhere near the best the UFA market has to offer. I don't know why people feel the need to talk about how much "trash" will be available when they don't seem to watch or pay attention to the other teams players.

I don't expect everyone to know how well Ryan Jensen has played this year but no need to call him "trash" if you haven't been paying attention.

too many misses on next man up plan. Let two WRs go with inadequate replacements and then the OL. I'm not arguing the merits of resigning any of those guys which is ironic when I think about how many guys the Bengals were too loyal too over the years. Sure, one expects a drop off going from established vets to younger players, but drop-off in these cases has been catastrophic to this team. The biggest disappointment has to be the rumors about OLay-he-he and his attitude. How'd they miss that? It's a business and all calculated risks, but ...just wow on how bad it's turned out.

Archived