A little O-line perspective

2 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

Nope. Solder and Joeckel are set to hit the market in the coming offseason which are the 2 guys he referenced. They're just 2 names that people will recognize, but they're nowhere near the best the UFA market has to offer. I don't know why people feel the need to talk about how much "trash" will be available when they don't seem to watch or pay attention to the other teams players.

I don't expect everyone to know how well Ryan Jensen has played this year but no need to call him "trash" if you haven't been paying attention.

Calm down there champ. Are you related to any of the free agents?!? I've probably forgotten more football than you've ever known so let's not get it to the "you don't watch the NFL" thing. By and large the free agent market for the coming offseason is VERY slim at OT, G and C. VERY. That's the reality. Despite how horrid the Bengals line is, guys like Norwell and/or Jensen are not going to make a considerable difference. That's simply the truth even to guys with such superior NFL knowledge as you.

54 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Calm down there champ. Are you related to any of the free agents?!? I've probably forgotten more football than you've ever known so let's not get it to the "you don't watch the NFL" thing. By and large the free agent market for the coming offseason is VERY slim at OT, G and C. VERY. That's the reality. Despite how horrid the Bengals line is, guys like Norwell and/or Jensen are not going to make a considerable difference. That's simply the truth even to guys with such superior NFL knowledge as you.

Yeaaahhhh. Seems like someone has a bit of a complex and I'm not sure if it's me.

Sorry man, you obviously aren't paying attention to the NFL this year if you think everyone other than Joeckel (actual trash) and Solder are "trash".

I wasn't saying you don't know anything about football, just that you obviously aren't watching any of these guys this season. Settle down there homie.

First you're mad that everyone in FA is "trash", and then someone points out that it isn't true and you move the goalposts to "yeah, but the Bengals suck so bad it won't matter!!!!1!11!1". Nice tactics there, you seem like a delightful person.

21 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Yeaaahhhh. Seems like someone has a bit of a complex and I'm not sure if it's me.

Sorry man, you obviously aren't paying attention to the NFL this year if you think everyone other than Joeckel (actual trash) and Solder are "trash".

I wasn't saying you don't know anything about football, just that you obviously aren't watching any of these guys this season. Settle down there homie.

First you're mad that everyone in FA is "trash", and then someone points out that it isn't true and you move the goalposts to "yeah, but the Bengals suck so bad it won't matter!!!!1!11!1". Nice tactics there, you seem like a delightful person.

Who are the guys you are interested in. I have a sheet going. 

I think the real question here is......will we be willing to pay top dollar for a quality free agent (much like LA did for Whit). I know the reputation says we won't but I'm not sure that's true anymore.

They clearly underestimated the quality of Whitworth vs the potential of Ogbuehi which now seems incredibly stupid. They were prepared to lose Zeitler which I understand.

Whiffing on both Ogbuehi and Fisher has proven to be a major setback to this team. So, now they need to try and fix this quickly which will require them to make a decent move (at least one) free agency. Let's hope they use some of their draft savvy and open the wallet to fix this. If they do that and draft well, they can get back to being good again. Hell, if they can just start running the football they can improve immensely.

I know......pretty obvious.

6 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Who are the guys you are interested in. I have a sheet going. 

These are the guys who I think are the best projected player available at each position. There are some more that I'll add tomorrow, I think there are decent players at each position past these guys except for RT. RT is suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper thin unless there is a surprise cut. Unfortunately I don't see all of these guys hitting the open market (Kline for example, the Titans have a billion dollars in cap space and no reason to NOT retain him).

LT - Solder

LG - Norwell

C - Jensen

RG - Kline

RT - Pasztor(?), Andre(lol)

If Andre continues to play RT like he did this past week, I'm fine with keeping him around, but I'm not convinced that he still has it yet.

McGlinchey/Boling/Jensen/Rookie(or Westerman)/Smith is my most ideal yet somewhat realistic line.

Solder/Boling/Jensen/Kline/McGlinchey is my dream 2018 OL.

27 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

These are the guys who I think are the best projected player available at each position. There are some more that I'll add tomorrow, I think there are decent players at each position past these guys except for RT. RT is suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper thin unless there is a surprise cut. Unfortunately I don't see all of these guys hitting the open market (Kline for example, the Titans have a billion dollars in cap space and no reason to NOT retain him).

LT - Solder

LG - Norwell

C - Jensen

RG - Kline

RT - Pasztor(?), Andre(lol)

If Andre continues to play RT like he did this past week, I'm fine with keeping him around, but I'm not convinced that he still has it yet.

McGlinchey/Boling/Jensen/Rookie(or Westerman)/Smith is my most ideal yet somewhat realistic line.

Solder/Boling/Jensen/Kline/McGlinchey is my dream 2018 OL.

I thought Solder was having a down year?

Here Is what I have now. Only about half way through. 

Seantrel Henderson-Bills    
Andrew Norwell-Panthers    Jack Mewhort-Colts    Josh Kline-Titans    Joe Looney-Cowboys    
Ryan Jensen-Ravens    Zach Fulton-Chiefs            
            Jahri Evans-Packers    Joe Berger-Vikings
Chris Hubbard-Stealers                

2 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

I thought Solder was having a down year?

He is and he'll probably be super expensive due to being one of the only LTs worth much next year, but he's still light years ahead of Oogie. 

2 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

Who was the redskjns LT.  He's now like 3rd string there but they really liked him

Ty Nsekhe? He's a RFA, I wouldn't mind going after a guy like that. 

Honestly at this point up until next off season I'm probably going to get excited about the idea of any tackle not named Ogbuehi, any center that isn't Bodine, and any RG period haha

Sign average guys in FA and look to the draft for upgrades, but I'm not convinced Alexander knows the difference. Still, free agency for the Bengals is all about overpaying for an aging vet. Those short-term deals for elite players (like Whitworth) typically aren't on the table for a struggling small-market franchise.  No top-tier FA is going to want to finish their career clawing for 8-8 in Cincinnati.  Signing the right HC could change the perception but I still think we're looking to establish a baseline of "NFL average" for the OL. While that's a shitty position to be in and heads should roll, if there's any silver lining it's that even a 3rd rate bargain FA for the OL is still an improvement.  Bring in 2-3, hopefully at least one has some upside, draft a couple more to compete with the scrubs, and for the love of sweet baby Jebus DECIDE WHO THE FUCK TO PLAY BEFORE THE SEASON STARTS.  Pretend like your job depends on it, like in Madden or whatever.  

Archived