Jerry Jones wants to overthrow Roger Goodell!!

One owner contended that there are "several owners in this league who don't make $40 million a year." He added: "That number for Roger just seems too much. It's offensive. It's unseemly."

Not sure how confusing that should be. The players don't make as much as the team owners, the owners don't make as much as the commissioner.

Not saying I agree with the $50M/year figure, but....is it really so "offensive" that he makes more than team owners?

7 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

One owner contended that there are "several owners in this league who don't make $40 million a year." He added: "That number for Roger just seems too much. It's offensive. It's unseemly."

Not sure how confusing that should be. The players don't make as much as the team owners, the owners don't make as much as the commissioner.

Not saying I agree with the $50M/year figure, but....is it really so "offensive" that he makes more than team owners?

Yes.  The people that own the teams/companies should be getting more money than the executives running the companies.  It's not like Goodell should be starving making say....$10M/yr. 

Go Jerry Jones!  Goodell is a tool and is f'n up the NFL.  It's not one big thing, although certain people will tell you that, it's all the little things.  Thursday games, poor quality of play, inconsistent discipline, player behavior, etc.  Twenty years ago I barely watched college football.  I loved the NFL.  It's quickly becoming the opposite for me.  I love the college game.  Unless they carry the Bengals in NC I find something better to do.  Hell, even when they do carry the Bengals I often find something better to do.

I find it strange that the owners don't realize to stop the bleeding on this ratings decline that they could easily make Goodell their scapegoat for all things that are wrong with the NFL at the moment.  One common thread across all NFL fan bases is that Goodell sucks and it would please most across the board.

Goodell has added negative value to the NFL this year. He should be fired, not extended. The NFL could find any number of people who could do a better job than Roger and who would work for $10 mil. The league may have seen ratings and attendance peak and should be doing some belt tightening. 

The owners don't work for Roger Goodell, he works for them.  $50 mil a year seems ridiculous unless that is how much the commissioner's office is paid. Still a high number but would make more sense since there is a lot more to running the office itself.  Contracts negotiated with multiple vendors, legal council, fighting guys in court who beat up women etc..

Funny anecdote about Goodell. Before we left Las Vegas some friends had a little get together for us, and my wife told me about the husband of one of her former co-workers who would be attending. Said he sounded like an interesting dude, but was a bit odd. At the party, I notice a squat, older guy with longish hair, dyed I want to say purple in spots, and assume he's the guy my wife told me about. Struck up a conversation, and he was indeed interesting. Then I noticed the ring on his hand, and asked to take a look. Turns out he had been a coach on the 1980 Raiders:

IMG_3314.jpg

His dad had been tight with Al Davis, Davis had come to this guy's high school graduation, he called him Uncle Al, etc., and he was still involved with the Raiders on occasion and had contacts in the NFL. 

TL/DR: The owners fucking LOVE Roger Goodell. He takes all the heat for whatever shit-brained idea they come up with, takes all the abuse, and the league still makes money. It also helps that he's a snivelling little weasel who practically has a PhD in ass kissing. Flags, protests, blah blah blah. Goodell isn't going anywhere, at least not for a long goddamn time unless the league tanks and they need a scapegoat. He also mentioned the owners pretty much can't stand Mike Brown, but pretty sure that's already common knowledge.

2 hours ago, Elflocko said:

TL/DR: The owners fucking LOVE Roger Goodell. He takes all the heat for whatever shit-brained idea they come up with, takes all the abuse, and the league still makes money. It also helps that he's a snivelling little weasel who practically has a PhD in ass kissing. Flags, protests, blah blah blah. Goodell isn't going anywhere, at least not for a long goddamn time unless the league tanks and they need a scapegoat. He also mentioned the owners pretty much can't stand Mike Brown, but pretty sure that's already common knowledge.

That's why he gets paid 50 mil.  Though to his credit, I think he comes up with plenty of dumb shit himself.

The owners hating Redeemer is why his team gets shit on; I assume many of them see him as a sanctimonious ass that thinks his last name makes him better than them, but still has his hand in their pockets.  Can't say they're wrong about that.

1 hour ago, schotzee said:

Goofell > idiot than Mike Brown

That is simply not true.  Mike Brown has become a billionaire because of the incredible TV contracts Goodell has negotiated.  The Bengals add almost nothing to the league other than schedule filler.  If robbing the other owners and Hamilton county is something to be proud of then yeah, Mike is smart.

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

That is simply not true.  Mike Brown has become a billionaire because of the incredible TV contracts Goodell has negotiated.  The Bengals add almost nothing to the league other than schedule filler.  If robbing the other owners and Hamilton county is something to be proud of then yeah, Mike is smart.

Honestly, you don't have to be much of a negotiator to sign an huge NFL deal.  The networks are throwing money at them.  Hell, I would hire Brown to do that.  That stingy old bastard would squeeze every last nickel out of ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX.

16 hours ago, T-Dub said:

That's why he gets paid 50 mil.  Though to his credit, I think he comes up with plenty of dumb shit himself.

The owners hating Redeemer is why his team gets shit on; I assume many of them see him as a sanctimonious ass that thinks his last name makes him better than them, but still has his hand in their pockets.  Can't say they're wrong about that.

Yeah, that's pretty accurate. 

17 hours ago, T-Dub said:

True.

If polled I would guess a majority of NFL players today do not even know who Paul Brown was.

I have heard tidbits over the last few years that a major complaint from other owners is that Mike Brown does nothing to help grow the brand but constantly gripes about wanting the other teams to share more of their money.

1 hour ago, westside bengal said:

True.

If polled I would guess a majority of NFL players today do not even know who Paul Brown was.

I have heard tidbits over the last few years that a major complaint from other owners is that Mike Brown does nothing to help grow the brand but constantly gripes about wanting the other teams to share more of their money.

Mike Brown's REFUSAL to give naming rights to the stadium and at the same time crying about there not being enough revenue sharing isn't going over very well with the other owners.

On 11/14/2017 at 11:43 AM, SF2 said:

Mike Brown's REFUSAL to give naming rights to the stadium and at the same time crying about there not being enough revenue sharing isn't going over very well with the other owners.

Actually none of the other owners care because they don't have to share any of the money they get for selling the naming rights to their own stadiums.

Some of the owners were a bit jealous of Mike Brown for showing them up over the 2006 CBA.  At the time Mike was one of only 2 owners to vote against it, but in just two years every single owner changed their mind and agreed with Mike Brown to opt out of the deal.  But most owners learned to respect Mike's business acumen after that.

Overall Mike is very well regarded among other NFL owners.

I don't like Goodell, but I like Jerry Jones even less.. Dude is a grade A... rich fuck.... bully... asshole..

He loved Goodell until the man disciplined his team.. now he wants to bitch and moan about it and wants him out...

it's hilarious and fuck jerry jones 

48 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

That's a really good article, thanks for posting. Everyone here should read it. Some great insight into the power struggle within the NFL exec offices and the owners. A guy I know is good friends with Lisa Friel. I wonder if he has any dirt on what's going on.

16 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Great article. However, it not only makes me like Jones and Goodell even less, it makes me not really give a shit if the NFL survives or not... 

The article just confirms to me how poorly the NFL is managed.  Goodell may be a good negotiator, but as an administrator he sucks ass.  Personally, I am rooting for the players in the next CBA.  There needs to be some kind of committee handing out punishment, not the Commissioner.  Thursday football needs to go. 

I think Jerry Jones is an asshole, but I'm on his side here.

2 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

The article just confirms to me how poorly the NFL is managed.  Goodell may be a good negotiator, but as an administrator he sucks ass.  Personally, I am rooting for the players in the next CBA.  There needs to be some kind of committee handing out punishment, not the Commissioner.  Thursday football needs to go. 

I think Jerry Jones is an asshole, but I'm on his side here.

Agree with all. No more global games in Europe either.

It's telling that Goodell hired experienced people for most positions and a lobbyist to deal with the CTE issue rather than, say, a neurologist or at least someone with a medical background.

..but I'm sure everything will be fine if they just suspend Burfict again.

Archived