Rishard Matthews 227th pick

Antonio Brown 195th pick

Marvin Jones 166th pick

Reuben Randle 63rd pick

Golden Tate 60th pick

Demaryius Thomas 22nd pick

Alshon Jeffery 45th pick

Randall Cobb 64th pick

So out of ALL of these names only 1 was a first rounder and that would be Thomas.  He was the 22nd pick, NOT 9th.  Thomas had Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow as his QBs his rookie year.  In the second game of the season he had 8 catches for 97 yards and a TD.  He was hurt during his rookie year but still managed to PLAY.  Thomas signed a 5 year $15 million dollar deal with Denver his rookie year, $6.3mil guaranteed.    When he played he was obviously good. 

Oh, Thomas also returned 16 kicks in his rookie year. Decker returned 22. When is Ross gonna return a kick?  

The next closest pick was Jeffery at 45th.

Ross was the 9th FUCKING PICK.  Don't try your bullshit with me.  The rest of these guys save Thomas were never expected to play a lot their first year.   John Ross has a $17 mil guaranteed contract and sits.  You don't hand a wide receiver a $10.6 million dollar signing bonus to sit out the season and learn the playbook.  There is nothing to indicate this guy will be nothing more than a guy running down the field fast trying to catch long passes.  He isn't durable enough to play in the slot.

Enough with your nonsense.  

In can't even figure out what type of point you are trying to make.  First you say that a WR has to be dumb as shit or else have terrioble coaches if he doesn't come into the league as a finished product.  But when I post a list that proves you wrong you change the argument.

So tell me why it was okay for you to cite a secevnth round pick like Housh to support your argument, but when I post a list that includes first second and third round picks it is "nonsense"?

just anothe classic case of you going through all sorts of mental gymnastics in order to shit on a Bengal. 

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

In can't even figure out what type of point you are trying to make.  First you say that a WR has to be dumb as shit or else have terrioble coaches if he doesn't come into the league as a finished product.  But when I post a list that proves you wrong you change the argument.

So tell me why it was okay for you to cite a secevnth round pick like Housh to support your argument, but when I post a list that includes first second and third round picks it is "nonsense"?

just anothe classic case of you going through all sorts of mental gymnastics in order to shit on a Bengal. 

Nonsense, you threw out a list of guys who were much later  draft picks and tried to equate them to a #9 pick.  Everyone with a brain knows there is a huge difference between the 9th pick in the NFL draft and the 45th.  Seriously, you are troll.  You threw 11 guys out there.  Only one was a first round pick at 22nd.  And that guy returned kicks as a rookie, Ross doesn't do SHIT.

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Nonsense, you threw out a list of guys who were much later  draft picks and tried to equate them to a #9 pick.  Everyone with a brain knows there is a huge difference between the 9th pick in the NFL draft and the 45th.  Seriously, you are troll.  You threw 11 guys out there.  Only one was a first round pick at 22nd.  And that guy returned kicks as a rookie, Ross doesn't do SHIT.

Personally, I don't think Ross is good enough.  In Marvin speak with a Reporter I gathered that Ross just isn't good enough to 

warrant playing time.    In the little time that I've seen him he doesn't pass the eye test.   He is nothing more than a slot receiver

in my mind.   I hope to be wrong because I don't wish ill will on anyone but at this point I think Tobin and the braintrust missed 

on this pick.  

2 hours ago, One Nation said:

Personally, I don't think Ross is good enough.  In Marvin speak with a Reporter I gathered that Ross just isn't good enough to 

warrant playing time.    In the little time that I've seen him he doesn't pass the eye test.   He is nothing more than a slot receiver

in my mind.   I hope to be wrong because I don't wish ill will on anyone but at this point I think Tobin and the braintrust missed 

on this pick.  

I agree with you, at least to a  large extent.

After Ross pulled up short on a GO route (he accepted the blame ... miscommunication which = bone head stupidity)

he was benched for the remainder of the game.  Again.

One comment I saw was how is he going to learn the game and position sitting on the bench?

At this point playing him for a number of snaps isn't going to hurt.

Ross is obviously in chateau bow-wow.  Lewis has pretty much said he hasn't put in the work and needs to catch up.  He gets zero slack when he screws up in a game and I am going to assume he has earned that treatment.  Not sure he's a bust yet, but a big disappointment for sure.  Hope he grows up and becomes a pro so we can see if he actually has the talent worthy of the pick.

24 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Ross is obviously in chateau bow-wow.  Lewis has pretty much said he hasn't put in the work and needs to catch up.  He gets zero slack when he screws up in a game and I am going to assume he has earned that treatment.  Not sure he's a bust yet, but a big disappointment for sure.  Hope he grows up and becomes a pro so we can see if he actually has the talent worthy of the pick.

Did you write this, UE?  If not, you should have.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/15/marvin-lewis-says-john-ross-let-the-team-down/

Marvin Lewis says John Ross let the team down

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 15, 2017, 3:51 PM EST

Bengals receiver John Ross has been perhaps the NFL’s most disappointing rookie this season: He was the ninth overall pick in the draft and he still hasn’t caught a pass. And now Bengals coach Marvin Lewis is letting Ross know he needs to step up his game.

Lewis said today that the whole team was disappointed when quarterback Andy Dalton threw a deep ball to Ross on Sunday, only to have Ross slow down while running the route and fail to get to the ball.

“For Andy, against that coverage to throw him that football, he should understand how the quarterback feels about him. That he expects him to be where he needs to be. He let his teammates down. He let me down. He let Andy down,” Lewis said of Ross.

The speedy Ross has the potential to break out and make some big plays for the Bengals down the stretch. But only if the Bengals trust him enough to throw him the ball. And so far he has failed to earn that trust.

Oh Jesus with the drama, Marvin. You never used this kind of example or language when referring to Oghubehi or Fisher, and they've REALLY let the team down.

We're 3-6. When is dummy Marvin going to find out what we've got in Ross, when we're 3-12? How about even TRYING to save this season. I fail to see how it would hurt to play him more. He doesn't need 60 snaps a game, but man, c'mon. Get him in there. Use him somehow.

43 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

Oh Jesus with the drama, Marvin. You never used this kind of example or language when referring to Oghubehi or Fisher, and they've REALLY let the team down.

We're 3-6. When is dummy Marvin going to find out what we've got in Ross, when we're 3-12? How about even TRYING to save this season. I fail to see how it would hurt to play him more. He doesn't need 60 snaps a game, but man, c'mon. Get him in there. Use him somehow.

"Marvin is a shitty coach because he does not hold players responsible for their lack of effort!!!!"

"Oh yeah, Marvin is also a shitty coach because he does not give playing time to a guy who has not earned it!!!"

"Why can't we fire this bum and hire a coach who holds his players accountable but still gives them playing time when they don't earn it!!!"

3 hours ago, Bunghole said:

I'm not a big Marvin fan, but he doesn't put guys in the dog house for no reason.  Ross has earned his way there with his behavior and apparent lack of work ethic.  Looking the other way when a top pick refuses to be a professional is no way to run a team.  I haven't seen anything to indicate that Fisher or Oogie-boogie have effort issues.  They just suck.  There is a difference.

Ross has to be some kind of special "idiot savant" for Lewis to bench his ass after 1 screw up in a game.   The only reason this would occur is because of what is happening in practice.  Not a Marvin fan but Ross must really be fucking up in practice to be on such a short leash.   If he were lighting it up in practice, he would be starting.   If he were doing ok, he would be playing way more. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Ross has to be some kind of special "idiot savant" for Lewis to bench his ass after 1 screw up in a game.   The only reason this would occur is because of what is happening in practice.  Not a Marvin fan but Ross must really be fucking up in practice to be on such a short leash.   If he were lighting it up, he would be starting.   If he were doing ok, he would be playing way more. 

This.

Marvin is not the only NFL coach who prefers the experience of veterans over the potential of rookies, but Ross should at least have a handful of plays down well enough so he could play 10 to 15 snaps a game.  Despite what many people try to claim Marvin has played a lot of rookies, and a #9 pick should be able to contribute something.

23 hours ago, fredtoast said:

"Marvin is a shitty coach because he does not hold players responsible for their lack of effort!!!!"

"Oh yeah, Marvin is also a shitty coach because he does not give playing time to a guy who has not earned it!!!"

"Why can't we fire this bum and hire a coach who holds his players accountable but still gives them playing time when they don't earn it!!!"

How does Ogbuehi continue to earn his playing time? Does he get paid a bonus on every sack allowed?

1 hour ago, CincyInDC said:

what (who) is the better alternative right now?

And the answer is nobody.  Its really easy for someone like me to proclaim they should try someone else.  I am not at practice and the truth is the guys playing behind Cedric must be some kind of awful.  Lets not forget, right now the salary for our entire offensive line (not inluding TEs) is around $12 mil.  Our veterans take up a "massive" $5.7 mil of that with Boling taking the most. 

We have 2 first rounders (Andre and Ced), a 2nd rounder (Fisher) and a 3rd rounder (34 year old Winston).   None of these guys would start anywhere else unless a team was DESPERATE.   The rest of our lineman were picked in later rounds as projects and backups to include Boling.  Certainly you hope some of the later round guys step up and become passable NFL starters but the reality is it isn't that often.  Boling is one of the better 4th round or later Olineman chosen in the last 15 years.  

Archived