Fresh Insights? (Good, Bad, Ugly?)

Outcoached is a cliché and understatement with this team.  It seemed they ran a lot to their left at the right side of our line, wide runs and screen plays.  The correctly identified Michael Johnson as soft.  Probably Adam "I Almost Died" Jones on that side, too.  Someone picked up that Shaw was so outmatched he grabbed on every play and used that to their advantage.

Might be too early to call John Ross a bust but leaning in that direction.  The one play I recall seeing him before he took his accustomed and assigned seat on the bench was what looked to be a deep route where he gave up or was hung up by a defender merely standing in front of him and impeding the route.

The whole team has quit.  Ogbuhei obviously doesn't want to be here.  Marvin has quit and spends his time on the sidelines trying to decide what color to paint the guest bathroom where his son will live when fired, too, in the Arizona mansion.  I don't think he should be fired.  I think his career in Cincinnati should be euthanized. 

We need a decent safety almost as much as we need an offensive tackle.

I throw up in my mouth a little every time I see a Bengal celebrate something, anything that should be relatively taken for granted.  Kirkpatrick for defending a pass, Mixon for getting a first down.

I'm sure we will hear about "recovering from a bad back" but Randy is not the answer.

No doubt this team has quit.  They are not playing to win, or for each other, but for themselves.  Even Mike Brown can see that.  He will not resign Lewis and a new era will start next season.

Until then I suggest finding something else to do on Sunday afternoon.  No use torturing yourself watching this garbage.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Might be too early to call John Ross a bust but leaning in that direction.  The one play I recall seeing him before he took his accustomed and assigned seat on the bench was what looked to be a deep route where he gave up or was hung up by a defender merely standing in front of him and impeding the route.

So New England signs Burkhead and after 9 games he has learned enough to share time at RB which includes blocking when necessary, run some plays from the slot and play teams for an organization that demands accountability. 

Ross can't run simple routes??

7 minutes ago, SF2 said:

So New England signs Burkhead and after 9 games he has learned enough to share time at RB which includes blocking when necessary, run some plays from the slot and play teams for an organization that demands accountability. 

I looked like his route was supposed to be "run real fast and catch the ball" and he couldn't do that.

Looked like he stopped to ask the cornerback for directions.

Makes you wonder if part of Brukhead's problem here was they were paying Jeremy Hill a bushel of money and it was a case of paying the one getting paid the most rather than the one who played the better.  Almost shaking down like that the way things are looking now.

32 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

I looked like his route was supposed to be "run real fast and catch the ball" and he couldn't do that.

Makes you wonder if part of Brukhead's problem here was they were paying Jeremy Hill a bushel of money and it was a case of paying the one getting paid the most rather than the one who played the better.  Almost shaking down like that the way things are looking now.

So basically, we spent a first round pick on Jerome Simpson?

53 minutes ago, SF2 said:

So basically, we spent a first round pick on Jerome Simpson?

Nahhhh...Jerome scored a touchdown once...I know this because they show it like 12 times a game.  Still fun to watch though.  And those HANDS!, have you seen how big Jerome's hands are?

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

If a rookie misses training camp it is hard for them to "catch up" during the season.  There are not a lot of live reps in the regular season compared to training camp.  Most of the time is spent game planning for a specific opponent. 

I can see how all the haters have a hard on for him being a bust, but it is way too early to decide that.

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

They are not playing to win, or for each other, but for themselves.

Yep.... You want to know why the defense sucks? Because 9 of the 11 guys are only looking for their own tackles, their own sacks. They're not playing their gaps and funneling ball carries to their teammates. Hell on the short TD run this weekend, the LB jumped inside his guy to make sure that tackle didn't go to a teammate.

3 hours ago, High School Harry said:

I throw up in my mouth a little every time I see a Bengal celebrate something, anything that should be relatively taken for granted.  Kirkpatrick for defending a pass, Mixon for getting a first down.

Lol this! Yesterday a wide open titan dropped an easy touchdown catch and what do you know Dre comes up and does his little incomplete shutdown corner celebration. I just laugh at the nonsense. Dre did absolutely nothing to cause that incompletion. 

It really sucks being a Bengal fan right now. Most of my friends have already tuned out and question why I even bother. I never gave a good answer except I can't help it. I'll watch them at 10 and 6 even at 2 and 14. I know they'll never win the big one but hey I have nothing else to do on Sundays. 

Regarding Ross, I guess I hope a new regime can use him. There used to be a time where receivers took around 3 years to blossom. I'm not giving up on him after 20 or so plays his rookie season but he does seem to be sort of a potato so far. 

33 minutes ago, esjbh2 said:

Nahhhh...Jerome scored a touchdown once...I know this because they show it like 12 times a game.  Still fun to watch though.  And those HANDS!, have you seen how big Jerome's hands are?

Jerome Simpson pick #46

Desean Jackson Pick #49

Calais Cambell Pick #50 UGHHHHHHHHHHH, I think them passing on this guy, made them realize that taking 6'8" 290LB DE's is the way to go....enter MJ and Dunlap 2 seasons later.

2 hours ago, turningpoint said:

Jerome Simpson pick #46

Desean Jackson Pick #49

Calais Cambell Pick #50 UGHHHHHHHHHHH, I think them passing on this guy, made them realize that taking 6'8" 290LB DE's is the way to go....enter MJ and Dunlap 2 seasons later.

Hindsight is always 20/20.  The same Eagles who took DeSean Jackson at#49 also passed on Reggie Wayne and Chad Johnson to draft WR Freddie Mitchell in the first round of the '01 draft.

The fact is Simpson ended up being better than 2 of the 5 WRs taken BEFORE him in the draft and he was also better than 5 of the other 9 WRs taken in the same 2nd round as him.  I don't know why so many people use Simpson as an example of our worst draft picks ever.  Not a great pick, but I can think of much worse.  Margus Hunt and Devon still were also 2nd round picks and they had nowhere near the career of Simpson (150 receptions, 2000+ yards).

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

3 hours ago, High School Harry said:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/11/13/16642024/bengals-bytes-11-13-andy-dalton-sells-his-cincinnati-home

Cincinnati Bengals rookie John Ross plays, makes big mistake
Cincinnati Bengals rookie first-round pick John Ross was active for just the third time this year in Sunday’s 24-20 loss at Tennessee. But as was the case in his previous two games, Ross was a non-factor. Ross played just six snaps, brining his season total to 17, and finished with no catches on one target — a deep ball in which he stopped on the route, resutling in an overthrown incompletion on third and 5.

4 hours ago, fredtoast said:

If a rookie misses training camp it is hard for them to "catch up" during the season.  There are not a lot of live reps in the regular season compared to training camp.  Most of the time is spent game planning for a specific opponent. 

I can see how all the haters have a hard on for him being a bust, but it is way too early to decide that.

Wide receiver may be the easiest positon to learn just above punter and place kicker.   All he needs to do is learn a few routes and actually run them or block when called upon.  He was the 9th pick not 90th.

Beckham Jr. missed all of his rookie trainging camp and the first 4 games due to hamstring injury. He still managed 91 receptions and  1305 yards in 12 games as a rookie.  Why is it that Beckham was able to step in and run routes but Ross can't?  Either you know the plays or you don't, running routes doesn't take a Phd.

Of the top 20 WRs chosen in the 2017 draft all of them except 2 have more receiveing yards than Ross. Those 2 are both on IR. 

1 minute ago, SF2 said:

Why is it that Beckham was able to step in and run routes but Ross can't?

Why is it that the Patriots were able to find a Hall of Fame QB in the sixth round but the Bengals can't?

Maybe because exceptions to a general rile don't prove anything?

18 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

Why is it that the Patriots were able to find a Hall of Fame QB in the sixth round but the Bengals can't?

Maybe because exceptions to a general rile don't prove anything?

It isn't an exception to the rule.  Beckham knew the routes and DIDN'T go to training camp.  Nothing magical about learning your job over the course of 5 or 6 months.   Ross cant get stay on the field because either he is too stupid or our coaches suck at their jobs.  Every player chosen in the first 4 rounds has more receiving yards than Ross except the two on IR.  TJ Housh was a 7th rounder and had 21 receptions as a rookie.

You don't pick a wide receiver with the 9th pick to teach how to play football and maybe use a year or two later.  You don't give a 10 mil signing bonus to a guy to sit.   $17 mil in guaranteed money and he hass ZERO catches and a grand total of 17 plays from scrimmage this year.

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/11/13/16642024/bengals-bytes-11-13-andy-dalton-sells-his-cincinnati-home

Cincinnati Bengals rookie John Ross plays, makes big mistake
Cincinnati Bengals rookie first-round pick John Ross was active for just the third time this year in Sunday’s 24-20 loss at Tennessee. But as was the case in his previous two games, Ross was a non-factor. Ross played just six snaps, brining his season total to 17, and finished with no catches on one target — a deep ball in which he stopped on the route, resutling in an overthrown incompletion on third and 5.

Anyone have the video of his lone target? I'd like to see it.

It's just a matter of him and Dalton getting on the same page. I'm excited for next year.

46 minutes ago, SF2 said:

It isn't an exception to the rule.  Beckham knew the routes and DIDN'T go to training camp.  Nothing magical about learning your job over the course of 5 or 6 months.   Ross cant get stay on the field because either he is too stupid or our coaches suck at their jobs.  Every player chosen in the first 4 rounds has more receiving yards than Ross except the two on IR.  TJ Housh was a 7th rounder and had 21 receptions as a rookie.

You don't pick a wide receiver with the 9th pick to teach how to play football and maybe use a year or two later.  You don't give a 10 mil signing bonus to a guy to sit.   $17 mil in guaranteed money and he hass ZERO catches and a grand total of 17 plays from scrimmage this year.

Amen.

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

You don't pick a wide receiver with the 9th pick to teach how to play football and maybe use a year or two later.

The Bengals didn't do that either.  They drafted a guy to lay this year but he got injured in the pre-season and missed training camp.

Your bring up ONE example of a WR who missed all of training camp and had a great year and try to claim that every rookie WR comes in ready to play.  but that just is not treu.  Eric Decker had 6 receptions as a rookie.  Mario Manningham and  Pierri Garcon had 4. Rishard Mathews had 11.  Antonio Brown had 16.  Marvin Jones had 18.  Reuben Randal 19.  Golden Tate had 21.  Demaryous Thomas 22.  Alshon Jeffery 24.  Randall Cobb 25.

Almost all of those guys put up those modest numbers even when they were not missing half of their rookie seasons with injuries. 

^ Mario Manningham? lmfao I'm sorry but that's a super obscure, random comparison

Did you really have to go back 10 years ago to a mediocre 3rd round pick that played for like 5 years to prove this point?

I'm 100% sure you could have either found a more recent, better example or just have left him out :lol:

6 hours ago, whodey365 said:

Lol this! Yesterday a wide open titan dropped an easy touchdown catch and what do you know Dre comes up and does his little incomplete shutdown corner celebration. I just laugh at the nonsense. Dre did absolutely nothing to cause that incompletion. 

Never saw that BS out of Leon Hall.  Now we have Pacman Jones as a team captain.  I can only hope we get rid of him before his dipshittery rubs off on WJ3 as well.

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

The Bengals didn't do that either.  They drafted a guy to lay this year but he got injured in the pre-season and missed training camp.

Your bring up ONE example of a WR who missed all of training camp and had a great year and try to claim that every rookie WR comes in ready to play.  but that just is not treu.  Eric Decker had 6 receptions as a rookie.  Mario Manningham and  Pierri Garcon had 4. Rishard Mathews had 11.  Antonio Brown had 16.  Marvin Jones had 18.  Reuben Randal 19.  Golden Tate had 21.  Demaryous Thomas 22.  Alshon Jeffery 24.  Randall Cobb 25.

Almost all of those guys put up those modest numbers even when they were not missing half of their rookie seasons with injuries. 

Eric Decker 87th pick

Mario Manningham 95th pick

Pierre Garcon 205th pick

Rishard Matthews 227th pick

Antonio Brown 195th pick

Marvin Jones 166th pick

Reuben Randle 63rd pick

Golden Tate 60th pick

Demaryius Thomas 22nd pick

Alshon Jeffery 45th pick

Randall Cobb 64th pick

So out of ALL of these names only 1 was a first rounder and that would be Thomas.  He was the 22nd pick, NOT 9th.  Thomas had Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow as his QBs his rookie year.  In the second game of the season he had 8 catches for 97 yards and a TD.  He was hurt during his rookie year but still managed to PLAY.  Thomas signed a 5 year $15 million dollar deal with Denver his rookie year, $6.3mil guaranteed.    When he played he was obviously good. 

Oh, Thomas also returned 16 kicks in his rookie year. Decker returned 22. When is Ross gonna return a kick?  

The next closest pick was Jeffery at 45th.

Ross was the 9th FUCKING PICK.  Don't try your bullshit with me.  The rest of these guys save Thomas were never expected to play a lot their first year.   John Ross has a $17 mil guaranteed contract and sits.  You don't hand a wide receiver a $10.6 million dollar signing bonus to sit out the season and learn the playbook.  There is nothing to indicate this guy will be nothing more than a guy running down the field fast trying to catch long passes.  He isn't durable enough to play in the slot.

Enough with your nonsense.  

Archived