What I would do 2018 if named GM

I would interview the following guys:

Frank Reich (Eagles OC)
Josh McDaniels (Pats OC)
Pete Carmichael (Saints OC)
Marquand Manuel (Falcons DC) Disclaimer: Rooney Rule candidate, but would get a fair shot
Hue Jackson if fired.

I would lean towards one of the OC coaches.  Looking for an aggressive disciplined coach who can manage a game.

I would not force him to keep anyone he was not comfortable with, but I would encourage him to interview the current defensive staff and Simmons.

AJ Mac would either get a second round tender if he is an RFA, or a tag (with a goal of trading) if UFA.  Minimum a second round pick in the top 10.

Draft thoughts:
My top priorities in the first 4 rounds would be OT, C, TE, G and WR, with WR and OG in 3 or 4.

If Daniel Carlson is still there in 4 or 5 he would get serious consideration as well.

In free agency I would target RG and RT

Love the ideas. I would have minor changes

Kris Richard (Seahawks DC)

Frank Reich (Eagles OC)

Jim Bob Cooter (Lions OC)
Josh McDaniels (Pats OC)
Pete Carmichael (Saints OC)

Marquand Manuel (Falcons DC) Disclaimer: Rooney Rule candidate, but would get a fair shot
Hue Jackson if fired.

I would lean towards the best motivator. I would let the OC coach the offense. Might be Hue actually. one of the OC coaches.  Looking for an aggressive disciplined coach who can manage a game.I would not force him to keep anyone he was not comfortable with, but I would encourage him to interview the current defensive staff and Simmons.

AJ Mac would either get a first round tender and then traded. If he is a UFA he walks because the Franchise Tag for a QB is too muchsecond round tender if he is an RFA, or a tag (with a goal of trading) if UFA.  Minimum a second round pick in the top 10.

Draft thoughts:
My top priorities in the first 4 rounds would be OT, C, TE, G and WR, with WR and OG in 3 or 4.

If Daniel Carlson is still there in 4 or 5 he would get serious consideration as well.

In free agency I would target RG and RT (Hubabrd from Pitt)

No Hue unless some coaching position below Coordinator.  Proven loser, imho.

Butch Jones after fired from Tennessee somewhere with an eye on moving up eventually.  Cincinnati roots and connections and the Bengals like that.

Read an article about Jon Gruden considering coming out of the booth.  Some sort of behind the curtain magic with him coming here would might me reconsider renewing my season tickets which are gone now unless some magic happens.  No boycott motives, simply not worth it now that I can see all the games on TV.

Draft similar to Mr. Weston above although I, too would like to see a Safety taken as high as the second round.  I do not care for Iloka or Williams.  Both overrated imho and fuck any statistics that may appear here.  Maybe 2nd since there are a number of good Safeties and one may slide and not sure if there is a Center available in the 2nd round who would not be there in the third.

21 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

No Hue unless some coaching position below Coordinator.  Proven loser, imho.

Butch Jones after fired from Tennessee somewhere with an eye on moving up eventually.  Cincinnati roots and connections and the Bengals like that.

Read an article about Jon Gruden considering coming out of the booth.  Some sort of behind the curtain magic with him coming here would might me reconsider renewing my season tickets which are gone now unless some magic happens.  No boycott motives, simply not worth it now that I can see all the games on TV.

Draft similar to Mr. Weston above although I, too would like to see a Safety taken as high as the second round.  I do not care for Iloka or Williams.  Both overrated imho and fuck any statistics that may appear here.  Maybe 2nd since there are a number of good Safeties and one may slide and not sure if there is a Center available in the 2nd round who would not be there in the third.

Gruden would either go to Tennesse, University of or a high profile spot like NY Giants.  No way he sets foot in cincy.

The OL is obviously an issue but people are being crazy with this whole drafting offense almost every round stuff.

I'm all aboard the "take a safety" train, but Minkah Fitzpatrick and Derwin James are a LOT better than the next tier of safeties and I can't say the same for the OTs. I'd try to find a way to get Fitzpatrick & a guy like Martinas Rankin even if it means having to trade up a few spots. Too bad we didn't trade that Scooter kid, eh? If we don't use our top pick on one of the best 2 safeties then I'd say just don't take a safety at that point. You either take the game changer or you let Iloka and Williams play another year. I don't see any guys that would be available in 2-4 that I'd see starting over our guys, but I'll absolutely take Fitzpatrick with a top 5 pick and start him immediately. I feel the same with a DT. Either take Payne with your top pick or else forget about DT all together and let our guys continue to play and develop.

OT/G/LB in round 2, lots of C/G/TE/LB picks to think about in 3-4, round out the draft trying to find more help at CB depth because Josh Shaw sucks and Pacman is almost AARP eligible, WR I guess, and whichever positions of need we didn't hit in the top 4 rounds.

Cooter for HC, trade AJM.

Target Ryan Jensen with everything possible in free agency and Josh Kline if the Titans don't bring him back for some reason. That would really open up the draft for us to not have to worry about the interior line whatsoever if we took care of C and RG both in free agency with Boling already on the roster.

Draft/FA?

Well... if I'm dreaming the Bengals open up the checkbook and sign the best FA OL out there, and then draft secondary, DL, OL, OL, OL, and then OL.

This is if we want to be in the running for the playoffs next year.

Reality?

We "build through the draft, so we'll take 2 TE's in rounds 1 & 2... a punter in 3, reserve waterboy in rounds 4 - 7. 

My HC candidates (in no particular order);

Edgar Bennett

http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/edgar-bennett/a5ae9936-e190-4d94-9082-9c2012fe505f

Kris Richard

http://www.seahawks.com/team/coaches/roster/kris-richard

Teryl Austin

http://www.detroitlions.com/team/coaches/teryl-austin/c1f399df-75c7-411c-b288-baa5f5f2a43c

Mike Smith

http://www.buccaneers.com/team/coaches/Mike-Smith/168c194c-01a7-4379-8ca1-c9bc816bcb95

Mike Vrabel

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/coaches/mike-vrabel/5171eecc-e5e4-40dd-9925-7eaef4f75a85

9 hours ago, SF2 said:

Gruden would either go to Tennesse, University of or a high profile spot like NY Giants.  No way he sets foot in cincy.

I'm not so sure.  Our situation reminds me of Tampa before he shaped them up and won a SB.  I could see it happening, but only for the short term.   A few years and he's out, hopefully with another ring but definitely not sticking around for more mediocrity.  

I don't think money is the issue, I think it's relinquishing control.  Gruden would tell Redeemer to STFU, eat his tendies and watch the team win.  That's the hang-up IMO.

:offtopic:

I can't remember if you still live in the Cinti area (I see the "Sprinboro" but yanno) but there are a couple of really good Mexican restaurants in Fairfield/Hamilton.  Peruvian, too.

Madieu's Plan:

FIRE EVERY SINGLE MEMBER OF THIS COACHING STAFF (INCLUDING THE STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING COACHES)

I don't want Marvin, I don't want Lazor, I don't want Guenther, and I don't want Simmons. Need new eyes looking at these players. I cant change the owner and I can't change all 53 players, but I damn well sure can do this. 

I'd hire a worthy coach who is deemed a hard-ass. My first choice is Gruden. My second choice is Todd Haley. My third choice is probably Kris Richard. I also wouldn't mind Nagy from Kansas City, but I do not believe he's considered the disciplinarian type. 

IT IS ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL THAT YOU HIRE A DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR WITH AN IMPOSING PERSONALITY. I get that we can't get Zimmer back, but it has to be somewhat at least similar in personality. I don't want to move on from Burfict, but he needs to be kept under control. Guenther has FAILED MISERABLY in this aspect. 

Assuming McCarron is deemed to be a restricted free agent

I would tender McCarron at the first round level and trade Dalton. I'd be seeking a first round draft pick, but would settle for a second (plus another pick). It's not that I don't believe Dalton is good enough to win with, it's just that I think he's a piss poor leader of a football team. He doesn't seem to hold his fellow players accountable in the same way good QB's do. In addition, he gets paid too much money to NEED really good players all around him. It doesn't make sense. You can;t pay Dalton all this money and then pay skill players and offensive linemen as well in order for the QB to be good. 

I would draft a QB. If you like one of the 1st round rated QB's, draft him. You don't pick in the top 5 often. if you're there and you like one of the QB's, grab him. But if you like someone like Lamar Jackson or Baker Mayfield, take them in the round they should go. This QB that you draft would sit for the year, while McCarron plays. If MCarron shows that he is a franchise QB, then you have a good problem on your hands. 

Free Agents

I would look to grab one free agent offensive lineman. It could be a guard or a tackle. Whichever this new coaching staff deems to be the best fit. I'd also look at guys like Allen Robinson/Terrelle Pryor,/Donte Moncrief, Morgan Burnett/Kenny Vaccaro, 

I'd consider bringing Minter back, and would look to retain Eifert depending upon how his medical records read. I know this is unpopular, but AJ Green is going to be 30 years old, it still has to be Win-Now. If Eifert is healthy enough to be out there for week 1, he needs to be given the opportunity. 

Draft

As mentioned previously, I'd draft the QB that I want in whatever round (1-7). I'd also grab 2 offensive lineman (including a Center). At that point, I'd have Boling, a free agent G or T, a rookie center, and another drafted G or T. Then I'd depend on my new coaches who aren't fucking morons to develop one of Ogbuehi, Fisher, Redmond, Westerman, Hopkins, or an undfrafted free agent into a starting-caliber offensive lineman. 

I'd also look at drafting a LB, which this team still SORELY needs.

Best regards,

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

I'm not so sure.  Our situation reminds me of Tampa before he shaped them up and won a SB.  I could see it happening, but only for the short term.   A few years and he's out, hopefully with another ring but definitely not sticking around for more mediocrity.  

I don't think money is the issue, I think it's relinquishing control.  Gruden would tell Redeemer to STFU, eat his tendies and watch the team win.  That's the hang-up IMO.

:offtopic:

I can't remember if you still live in the Cinti area (I see the "Sprinboro" but yanno) but there are a couple of really good Mexican restaurants in Fairfield/Hamilton.  Peruvian, too.

He's had a taste of the really good life now. Nothing like when he chose to leave the Raiders for Tampa. I'm with SF. Ain't happening unless Mike breaks the bank.

Some good suggestions in the thread. I really think the Bengals need to improve the LB position (too). I would consider looking at Demario Davis or Zach Brown in free agency (depending on their price tag). LB is so much weaker than most realize. I think the old adage of building the trenches rings true though. I'd be focusing specifically on the lines in the early days of free agency and the draft while looking at WR, LB and S upgrades.

13 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Madieu's Plan:

In addition, he gets paid too much money to NEED really good players all around him. It doesn't make sense. You can;t pay Dalton all this money and then pay skill players and offensive linemen as well in order for the QB to be good. 

I don't want this to devolve into another Andy thread, but when I see stuff like this is drives me crazy. There are so many legitimate things to bitch about with Andy yet people need to make shit up about the guy.

Andy's contract averages less than every QB in the league off their rookie contract not named Tyrod Taylor, Mike Glennon, and Jay Cutler (being signed off his couch). Say whatever you will about Andy, but the dude has, easily, the BEST QB contract in the NFL right now of any guy that isn't on their rookie deal. The absolute last thing you can complain about with him is his team friendly contract.

Averages per year rank (starters only) off their rookie contracts:

Andy - 19th of 22

Burfict - 12th (ALL LBs, including big $$$ rushers) of 50+

Kirkpatrick - 11th of 50+

Pacman - 21st of 50+

AJ Green - 3rd of 50+

Relative to their position, Andy gets paid like one of the worst QBs in the league and regardless of your opinion of the guy, he's obviously not among the worst starters in the NFL. His contract isn't stopping us from building a team so just cut it out with the nonsense.

6 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

I don't want this to devolve into another Andy thread, but when I see stuff like this is drives me crazy. There are so many legitimate things to bitch about with Andy yet people need to make shit up about the guy.

Andy's contract averages less than every QB in the league off their rookie contract not named Tyrod Taylor, Mike Glennon, and Jay Cutler (being signed off his couch). Say whatever you will about Andy, but the dude has, easily, the BEST QB contract in the NFL right now of any guy that isn't on their rookie deal. The absolute last thing you can complain about with him is his team friendly contract.

Andy - 19th of 22

Pacman - 21st of 50+

AJ Green - 3rd of 50+

Relative to their position, Andy gets paid like one of the worst QBs in the league and regardless of your opinion of the guy, he's obviously not among the worst starters in the NFL. His contract isn't stopping us from building a team so just cut it out with the nonsense.

This.  Lots of fans have lots of great ideas until you push them for details.

"If I was GM I would sign a QB just as good as Dalton but for a lot less money!"

"Like who?"

"Ummmmmm.........."

7 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

Andy - 19th of 22

Pacman - 21st of 50+

AJ Green - 3rd of 50+

If my QB NEEDS talent ALL AROUND him to not devolve into what we’ve seen the past two years then I see no reason to even give him a second contract. I can’t continually pay EVERYONE around him, plus his contract. His best year included Sanu, AJ, Marvin Jones, Hill, Bernard, Whitworth, Zeitler, Eifert. It’s not practical that you can pay all of that talent to surround your QB season-on-season. 

The team is in the toilet and you’re looking at a top 5 pick. What better time to try and improve the most important position in the sport?

4 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

If my QB NEEDS talent ALL AROUND him to not devolve into what we’ve seen the past two years then I see no reason to even give him a second contract. I can’t continually pay EVERYONE around him, plus his contract. His best year included Sanu, AJ, Marvin Jones, Hill, Bernard, Whitworth, Zeitler, Eifert. It’s not practical that you can pay all of that talent to surround your QB season-on-season. 

The team is in the toilet and you’re looking at a top 5 pick. What better time to try and improve the most important position in the sport?

Thanks for proving my point.

A lot of talk, but not one specific answer to who this QB is that would be better than Dalton for a lot less money.

"Yeah, I'd just go out and get one of those QBs who wins all the time with no talent around him and costs a lot less than Dalton."

Andy is fine

if he had more than .25 seconds to get rid of the ball and the running backs weren't hit as soon as they touch the fucking ball (or before), this offense would be just fine.

So it comes down to a couple/few new lineman and someone being able to coach them.....so that's what I would concentrate on if I were the GM

So 

1. Coaches.. all of them..HC being a discipline guy.

2. O-line.. 

3. seconday.. safties and probably replacing Adam

4. maybe not drafting injured guys for a couple years

5. Get a tap of CBC IPA or Bohdi right beside my chair in the Luxury Box.

that's a good start.

23 hours ago, Madieu Superstar said:

Madieu's Plan:

FIRE EVERY SINGLE MEMBER OF THIS COACHING STAFF (INCLUDING THE STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING COACHES)

I don't want Marvin, I don't want Lazor, I don't want Guenther, and I don't want Simmons. Need new eyes looking at these players. I cant change the owner and I can't change all 53 players, but I damn well sure can do this. 

I'd hire a worthy coach who is deemed a hard-ass. My first choice is Gruden. My second choice is Todd Haley. My third choice is probably Kris Richard. I also wouldn't mind Nagy from Kansas City, but I do not believe he's considered the disciplinarian type. 

IT IS ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL THAT YOU HIRE A DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR WITH AN IMPOSING PERSONALITY. I get that we can't get Zimmer back, but it has to be somewhat at least similar in personality. I don't want to move on from Burfict, but he needs to be kept under control. Guenther has FAILED MISERABLY in this aspect. 

Assuming McCarron is deemed to be a restricted free agent

I would tender McCarron at the first round level and trade Dalton. I'd be seeking a first round draft pick, but would settle for a second (plus another pick). It's not that I don't believe Dalton is good enough to win with, it's just that I think he's a piss poor leader of a football team. He doesn't seem to hold his fellow players accountable in the same way good QB's do. In addition, he gets paid too much money to NEED really good players all around him. It doesn't make sense. You can;t pay Dalton all this money and then pay skill players and offensive linemen as well in order for the QB to be good. 

I would draft a QB. If you like one of the 1st round rated QB's, draft him. You don't pick in the top 5 often. if you're there and you like one of the QB's, grab him. But if you like someone like Lamar Jackson or Baker Mayfield, take them in the round they should go. This QB that you draft would sit for the year, while McCarron plays. If MCarron shows that he is a franchise QB, then you have a good problem on your hands. 

Free Agents

I would look to grab one free agent offensive lineman. It could be a guard or a tackle. Whichever this new coaching staff deems to be the best fit. I'd also look at guys like Allen Robinson/Terrelle Pryor,/Donte Moncrief, Morgan Burnett/Kenny Vaccaro, 

I'd consider bringing Minter back, and would look to retain Eifert depending upon how his medical records read. I know this is unpopular, but AJ Green is going to be 30 years old, it still has to be Win-Now. If Eifert is healthy enough to be out there for week 1, he needs to be given the opportunity. 

Draft

As mentioned previously, I'd draft the QB that I want in whatever round (1-7). I'd also grab 2 offensive lineman (including a Center). At that point, I'd have Boling, a free agent G or T, a rookie center, and another drafted G or T. Then I'd depend on my new coaches who aren't fucking morons to develop one of Ogbuehi, Fisher, Redmond, Westerman, Hopkins, or an undfrafted free agent into a starting-caliber offensive lineman. 

I'd also look at drafting a LB, which this team still SORELY needs.

Best regards,

I'm with this guy, Plus I would also play John Ross more, and put Mixon in the slot and throw him the ball more in space. The dude can catch.

2 hours ago, fredtoast said:

Thanks for proving my point.

A lot of talk, but not one specific answer to who this QB is that would be better than Dalton for a lot less money.

"Yeah, I'd just go out and get one of those QBs who wins all the time with no talent around him and costs a lot less than Dalton."

Am I a scout? Are you? It's not my job to find someone better, its their job. As I mentioned, hold onto McCarron for the year and see if he can be the guy. Also, if you like a QB in the draft, get him. But I am kinda tired of seeing our 7th year QB regress. I think after 7 years, he's proven you're not winning a Super Bowl with him. I'm willing to take a risk and see if we can find another QB who can. But God forbid this team tries something else...It might break up this great stretch of success...

2 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

But God forbid this team tries something else...It might break up this great stretch of success...

Brilliant logic there Madieu.

You realize this means you also have to get rid of Geno Atkins and AJ Green, right?  According to you it has been proven that we can not win anything with those guys.

Shit OL,  last years's 9th overall draft pick can't get on the field,  best player on offense is choke-slamming dudes out of frustration,  MLB that draws a personal foul for getting out of bed in the morning, a DB core led by Dumb & Dumber, who is also a team captain, grabasstic displays of fuckery from most of the coaching staff..

And you're worried about the QB?  You want to watch someone different get sacked or what?

18 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

As I mentioned, hold onto McCarron for the year and see if he can be the guy.

So we get rid of Dalton because he was only good in '15 with a bunch of talent around him and instead go with the guy who was a lot worse than Dalton when he played with the exact same talent around him.

Brilliant.

Archived