What I would do 2018 if named GM

18 hours ago, fredtoast said:

What does this even mean?

How does a QB hold players accountable?

Well IMO he could start by wiping off that silly ass smile when he throws a pick or bad pass.   Look Andy is somewhat of a nerd.  Probably a guy you'd want your daughter to marry.

Definately no issues with him as a human being.  I've seen enough of Andy in the last several years.  You can get the same play from McCarron.  There is no doubt in my mind about that. 

McCarron on the other hand has something different about him that guys gravitate toward.  Whitworth made mention of this in McCarrons Rookie year.   The bengals won't play McCarron though.

It's not what they do.  Besides you play him with this shit show of a line and doesn't perform well then you just lost any negotiation that you may have had prior.  I would make a effort to Trade 

Dalton in the offseason and go from there.  

6 minutes ago, One Nation said:

Well IMO he could start by wiping off that silly ass smile when he throws a pick or bad pass.

So that is what you mean by "holding players responsible"?  Pitching a fit when something goes wrong?

I've seen enough of Andy in the last several years.  You can get the same play from McCarron.  There is no doubt in my mind about that.

Your conviction is not based on anything you have seen on the field.  We both saw McCarron and Dalton play with the exact same team around them and Dalton was WAY better.  McCarron freezes in the pocket and takes way to many sacks.  He just doesn't have the instincts to be a good NFL QB.

Same for all your speculation about how the players perceive Dalton and McCarron in the locker room.  The players that squeal the loudest on the sidelines are the fan favorites but they are  not always the best leaders on a team.  I can testify to that from personal experience.  In fact the guys who keep their cool when things get rough are often better leaders than the ones pitching hissy fits.  You don't have a clue about McCarron being a better leader than Dalton.  That is just something you have made up in your head.  Just like your belief that McCarron could be as good as Dalton on the field despite all the evidence to the contrary.

On 11/14/2017 at 5:57 PM, T-Dub said:

Our situation reminds me of Tampa before he shaped them up and won a SB.

Holy shit! Malcolm Glazer just bought the team!?!

TB turned it around with a new owner, went out and traded to get the coach they wanted.... Heck Marvin Lewis was a front-runner for that job for a while.

We still have Mikey-Boy, and we will get whatever coach doesn't have a better offer.

1 hour ago, fredtoast said:

So that is what you mean by "holding players responsible"?  Pitching a fit when something goes wrong?

Your conviction is not based on anything you have seen on the field.  We both saw McCarron and Dalton play with the exact same team around them and Dalton was WAY better.  McCarron freezes in the pocket and takes way to many sacks.  He just doesn't have the instincts to be a good NFL QB.

Same for all your speculation about how the players perceive Dalton and McCarron in the locker room.  The players that squeal the loudest on the sidelines are the fan favorites but they are  not always the best leaders on a team.  I can testify to that from personal experience.  In fact the guys who keep their cool when things get rough are often better leaders than the ones pitching hissy fits.  You don't have a clue about McCarron being a better leader than Dalton.  That is just something you have made up in your head.  Just like your belief that McCarron could be as good as Dalton on the field despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Who's talking about having a hissy fit?  And yes I do have a clue and I haven't made anything up.   What makes you think I'm speculating?  Ever occur to you that possibly some on this board are related/friends with current and past players?   LOL at your arrogance.   Then again I should have know after lurking here for years reading your posts.    Good god quit acting like you have a clue as to what is going on and what some players may or may not think.   

26 minutes ago, One Nation said:

Who's talking about having a hissy fit?  And yes I do have a clue and I haven't made anything up.   What makes you think I'm speculating?  Ever occur to you that possibly some on this board are related/friends with current and past players?   LOL at your arrogance.   Then again I should have know after lurking here for years reading your posts.    Good god quit acting like you have a clue as to what is going on and what some players may or may not think.   

Par for the course.... those who have probably never even played football know more than the actual players now?

LOL! Now he'll tell you that your "personal experience means nothing" and that you are making it all up....

2 hours ago, One Nation said:

Fred is a notorious troll (lol ... spellcheck corrected that to "tool" so maybe its on to something) and has statistics to prove it.  And everything else.  Laugh at him, pity him, whatever but perhaps at best tolerate him and ignore the baiting.  He is quite the master baiter.  He's usually just stirring the pot.  And for God's sake, don't feed the animals by responding to him.

Everyone shits on Fred but I'd have to guess that he's played football at a higher level for a more respected coaching staff than 99% of other board members. I know his personal background a bit so it's not just some wild speculation from me either.

Dude is kind of a dick and obviously likes to pick a fight, but I don't see the big issue with him most of the time :shrug:

26 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

Everyone shits on Fred but I'd have to guess that he's played football at a higher level for a more respected coaching staff than 99% of other board members. I know his personal background a bit so it's not just some wild speculation from me either.

Dude is kind of a dick and obviously likes to pick a fight, but I don't see the big issue with him most of the time :shrug:

Fred's ok by me. I like a lot more of what he writes than dislike.

33 minutes ago, omgdrdoom said:

5 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Fred's ok by me. I like a lot more of what he writes than dislike.

I'm OK with Fred, too, and like a lot of his stuff.  Just some of his "conversations" are popcorn baiting and you have to ignore that stuff.

BTW, anyone else see the article where Denver may be not that thrilled with Vance Joseph?

If not on the hot seat, it could becoming warmer.

If he is axed, I would love to see him here the next day to replace Marvin.

WTF?  We can only hope.  Would love to get him this time around.

1 hour ago, omgdrdoom said:

Sorry... genealogical proof, DNA samples, and CIA verified background checks would have to be produced to even consider this a true statement.

heat_miser_ya.jpg

4 hours ago, One Nation said:

Ever occur to you that possibly some on this board are related/friends with current and past players?

No that never occurred to me.  Why would it?  I assume anyone who is speaking with inside knowledge would let us all know.

Did it ever occur to you that I may be close friends with multiple current Bengals?

4 hours ago, One Nation said:

What makes you think I'm speculating?

Because McCarron has shown absolutely NOTHING on the field that would indicate that he could be as good as Dalton.  We all saw them both play with the same talent around them and McCarron was not even close to Dalton.  McCarron freezes in the pocket and takes sacks at twice the rate of Dalton.  Plus the offense was limited when Mccarron was playing.  They did not even try to force the ball down the field like they did when Dalton was playing.

Now you might have a "gut feeling" or something like that telling you that McCarron could be as good as Dalton, but it would all be based on speculation instead of anything you saw happen on the field.

On 11/14/2017 at 9:10 AM, USN Bengal said:

Draft/FA?

Well... if I'm dreaming the Bengals open up the checkbook and sign the best FA OL out there, and then draft secondary, DL, OL, OL, OL, and then OL.

This is if we want to be in the running for the playoffs next year.

Reality?

We "build through the draft, so we'll take 2 TE's in rounds 1 & 2... a punter in 3, reserve waterboy in rounds 4 - 7. 

My HC candidates (in no particular order);

Edgar Bennett

http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/edgar-bennett/a5ae9936-e190-4d94-9082-9c2012fe505f

Kris Richard

http://www.seahawks.com/team/coaches/roster/kris-richard

Teryl Austin

http://www.detroitlions.com/team/coaches/teryl-austin/c1f399df-75c7-411c-b288-baa5f5f2a43c

Mike Smith

http://www.buccaneers.com/team/coaches/Mike-Smith/168c194c-01a7-4379-8ca1-c9bc816bcb95

Mike Vrabel

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/coaches/mike-vrabel/5171eecc-e5e4-40dd-9925-7eaef4f75a85

Not so daft to think the Browns are busting out the pocketbook and signing a premium LT.  I'm think someone along the lines of Bobbie Williams or even someone like Whitt as a stopgap option.

3 hours ago, omgdrdoom said:

It's not a big issue, but he's kind of a dick and obviously likes to pick a fight. IMO his good posts don't make up for the constant antagonizing, so I don't read most of them until people start quoting him.  That turns into a shitshow often as not, reminding me why I don't.  Obvious troll is obvious.  Who needs more of that?

:smoke: 

On 11/15/2017 at 3:52 PM, Madieu Superstar said:

If my QB NEEDS talent ALL AROUND him to not devolve into what we’ve seen the past two years then I see no reason to even give him a second contract. I can’t continually pay EVERYONE around him, plus his contract. His best year included Sanu, AJ, Marvin Jones, Hill, Bernard, Whitworth, Zeitler, Eifert. It’s not practical that you can pay all of that talent to surround your QB season-on-season. 

The team is in the toilet and you’re looking at a top 5 pick. What better time to try and improve the most important position in the sport?

There isn't a QB in the league that would perform well behind this offensive offensive line.   It isn't hard to gameplan against a team that CAN'T run the ball and isn't very good at pass blocking.  Given these facts Dalton did pretty well last weekend against the Titans.  20-35-265-2TDs-0 Ints.  The fumbled sucked but that is very rare for him.   Rating of 100 for that game on the road. 

How did Dak Prescott do without  Elliot running the ball and Left Tackle Tyron Smith out last week?  They scored 7 points.

Dalton doesn't have that much talent around him at all.  Eifert is out. Tyler Boyd (54 catches as a rookie)  is out.  Ross can't get on the field.  Without those players, 31 year old LaFell is easier to cover so that leaves us AJ Green as his only legitimate weapon in truth.  It is so bad, AJ is playing more and more slot receiver just so we can get the ball in his hands.  Teams are dropping back into coverage because we cant run the ball so there is NO space for AJ downfield. 

Andy Dalton isn't even close to a major concern with this current team.  If Dalton was on the Jaguars, they would be a legitimate Superbowl contender. 

10 hours ago, One Nation said:

Fred had been here for a long time, you show up and start acting like you are some kind of insider,... something Fred has never done as far as I can remember.  Everyone here knows Fred and I have had our fights but he has never pulled the, "I have inside info" card.   

BTW, do you expect me to believe that the predominately black badass human specimens on this team expect the Ginger QB to "hold them responsible"?   Who is he supposed to hold responsible anyways?   That is the coaches job, not the QB.  That happens when they watch game film.  That happens after your QB wins a few Superbowls. 

By the way Fred, you are still a dick but you are my dick.  Oohh that came out wrong. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

BTW, do you expect me to believe that the predominately black badass human specimens on this team expect the Ginger QB to "hold them responsible"?   

All that other extracurricular shit aside, I do have my doubts as to the level of respect between the QB & the rest of the locker room.   It's really hard to guess because so much of it happens off the field, but from what I do get to see there doesn't seem to be much leadership left on this squad.  We see the lack of discipline, the childish antics, and we know the team chooses their own captains.  Our best players right now seem like the quiet, "lead by example" types.  That only works on people that want to be led.  The jackasses are going to gravitate towards whoever brays the loudest.

I bet Tom Brady commands respect on his team. I've seen him shouting in players faces before. I do think there's something to this "Dalton lacks leadership qualities" angle. Remember when he was a rookie QB, all fired up on the sidelines and hollering at his teammates? Where did that guy go?

I do however agree that the current state of this offense and the shitty oline would be an implacable obstacle for ANY current NFL QB, including Brady.

On 11/16/2017 at 8:58 PM, SF2 said:

Fred had been here for a long time, you show up and start acting like you are some kind of insider,... something Fred has never done as far as I can remember.  Everyone here knows Fred and I have had our fights but he has never pulled the, "I have inside info" card.   

BTW, do you expect me to believe that the predominately black badass human specimens on this team expect the Ginger QB to "hold them responsible"?   Who is he supposed to hold responsible anyways?   That is the coaches job, not the QB.  That happens when they watch game film.  That happens after your QB wins a few Superbowls. 

By the way Fred, you are still a dick but you are my dick.  Oohh that came out wrong. 

Fred is a veteran on this board so I suppose he has earned the respect of saying whatever he wants to say regardless of the merit.   I should have known better than to say anything.   It's like the Kiss of Death.  

23 minutes ago, One Nation said:

Fred is a veteran on this board so I suppose he has earned the respect of saying whatever he wants to say regardless of the merit.   I should have known better than to say anything.   It's like the Kiss of Death.  

No, don't play the victim, you can say whatever you want.  However,  unless you can prove you have inside information don't throw it out there to prove your point.  The real problem with this team is not only did they they got rid of the ACTUAL offensive captain, Andrew Whitworth, they got rid of one of the 3 best players on the team (AJ and Atkins being the other 2).  

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

No, don't play the victim, you can say whatever you want.  However,  unless you can prove you have inside information don't throw it out there to prove your point.  The real problem with this team is not only did they they got rid of the ACTUAL offensive captain, Andrew Whitworth, they got rid of one of the 3 best players on the team (AJ and Atkins being the other 2).  

lol.  Not playing the victim.  Exactly how am I supposed to prove that I have had conversations?  Tell that player to come on here and back me up?  lol.   I'm not trying to prove to you anything.  You and others can decide for yourselves.  I really don't care.   Whitworth leaving was and is a huge problem.  Agree with you there.  

Archived